Was Justin Fields way overrated?

The longer time goes on, the more and more I think our only way out of this is to luck into hiring a white whale coaching candidate. It won't be Stoops, but would be a Stoops-like coach who had great success somewhere else without a flame out in the end (e.g., not someone like Les Miles). Our admin is so incompetent I don't see them having the skills to identify a diamond in the rough. Then again, our admin also wants a lot of control, and that makes it difficult to attract a top coach too.

Look at other turnarounds in modern times - Saban at Alabama, Harbaugh at Michigan (I know he's an overrated underachiever, but Michigan was irrelevant and consistently missing bowl games before he got there). They got the timing right, and said white whale coach was available when the school had an opening. Tennessee does not have a Scott Frost-type figure out there, so it'll probably have to be someone from the outside.

I have no idea who it would be, and if we luck into this hire 5+ years from now chances are the eventual white whale is a virtual unknown at this point. 5 years is a long time in sports.

Here tell that the new USC president that quickly vanquished Swanny as AD has gone on record as against the hire of Urban Meyer. I'm sure Helton is soon to get his exit on the tarmac soon. Just saying, Meyers is still a free agent.

Here tell that the new USC president that quickly vanquished Swanny as AD has gone on record as against the hire of Urban Meyer. I'm sure Helton is soon to get his exit on the tarmac soon. Just saying, Meyers is still a free agent.
Yes, that one is coming soon. Urban will go there and within 3-4 years will probably win a title there.

Highly doubt Meyers will go anywhere but as the new AD when their AD retires....He's OSU through and through, born and bred.

Highly doubt Meyers will go anywhere but as the new AD when their AD retires....He's OSU through and through, born and bred.
Not as much as you might think. He was born and grew up in Ohio, and he was a grad assistant there in the late 80s, but he once said his dream job was Notre Dame. Never played ball at Ohio St.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Yes, that he did say. When Notre dame and the Fla. job became available, he picked Fla...… said it was because the roster was better and his wife wanted to live in warmer climes. Read into that whatever you want.

Yes, that he did say. When Notre dame and the Fla. job became available, he picked Fla...… said it was because the roster was better and his wife wanted to live in warmer climes. Read into that whatever you want.
You really can't believe anything the dude says, although there probably was something to him wanting to coach at ND (from the region, is Catholic, etc.). His wife wanted to live in warmer climes, then he left Florida because the stress was too much...and took the Ohio St job.

You really can't believe anything the dude says, although there probably was something to him wanting to coach at ND (from the region, is Catholic, etc.). His wife wanted to live in warmer climes, then he left Florida because the stress was too much...and took the Ohio St job.

I know that he coached in South Bend at one point, maybe under Bob Davies. I think, think, there was a clause in his contract with Florida that said he could leave for ND if offered without having to buyout his contract. ND was his ultimate dream job and I think Ohio State was option B. Just imagine if he went to Notre Dame and how much more polarizing and hated Notre Dame would become than it already is. Ol Urbs would be saying a helluva lot of Hail Mary’s after going to confession.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I know that he coached in South Bend at one point, maybe under Bob Davies. I think, think, there was a clause in his contract with Florida that said he could leave for ND if offered without having to buyout his contract. ND was his ultimate dream job and I think Ohio State was option B. Just imagine if he went to Notre Dame and how much more polarizing and hated Notre Dame would become than it already is. Ol Urbs would be saying a helluva lot of Hail Mary’s after going to confession.
There was an option for the OSU job also.

Meyer is Notre Dame through and through. it has always been his dream job. His rotten luck recently though means the guy there now wins just enough to keep from being replaced but will never win a NC there. Meyer could do that for them. It's years away but he'll end up there.

Meyer turned ND down and opted for the Florida job instead.... He didn't do that when the OSU job opened up. He openly said that that was the only job he would have ever taken.

You guys see that he’s on a plant based diet and dropped about 20 lbs? Obviously he looked great and is a top 3 pick, I’m not sure about the plant based diets though. Seems like a lot of NFL guys that have tried it get banged up more and stay banged up longer. Anybody have any thoughts on that stuff?

You guys see that he’s on a plant based diet and dropped about 20 lbs? Obviously he looked great and is a top 3 pick, I’m not sure about the plant based diets though. Seems like a lot of NFL guys that have tried it get banged up more and stay banged up longer. Anybody have any thoughts on that stuff?
Wasn't their a Titan who was vegan and had a bunch of players doing it?

Wasn't their a Titan who was vegan and had a bunch of players doing it?
I don’t know if any Titans were. I know Cam was when he was with the Panthers and some were speculating that the diet stunted his recovery to some his injuries.

Brady has one of those crazy diets too that I think is entirely or almost entirely plant-based and the dude's an ironman. Of course part of the reason he's an ironman is because he gets the ball out so quickly and never gets hit. He's still playing because of his brain, not what he eats, but who knows. There were a bunch of Titans players a couple years ago that went vegan:

Vegan meals all the rage for Titans, with 15 players converted

Brady has one of those crazy diets too that I think is entirely or almost entirely plant-based and the dude's an ironman. Of course part of the reason he's an ironman is because he gets the ball out so quickly and never gets hit. He's still playing because of his brain, not what he eats, but who knows. There were a bunch of Titans players a couple years ago that went vegan:

Vegan meals all the rage for Titans, with 15 players converted

Yes, thats true

Regarding Fields, his release mechanics and footwork improvement have made him an even better QB. this fall, if that is possible. That comes with coaching, which I don't think Kirby and his crew would have provided. Personally, I like Fields more than TL,

There’s a documentary out about the Titans players, an endurance runner, world’s strongest man, a female Olympian and some other types of athletes all in plant based diets. They claim it’s reduced injury and improves recover times. But it’s all about finding the right proteins to replace those found in meat.

VN Store

Back