Warlick says players have changed since she became coach

Rick Barnes wasn't getting it done in Austin, not even with Kevin Durant. A change of scenery did his career wonders. The same may be true of Holly.
I wonder if Holly would be a sought after P5 candidate if she was let go from Tennessee? Serious question...

Reactions: BUBear
I wonder if Holly would be a sought after P5 candidate if she was let go from Tennessee? Serious question...

The serious answer is, “No.”
The brutally honest answer is, “You really should consider cutting back on the ’shrooms.”

Rick Barnes wasn't getting it done in Austin, not even with Kevin Durant. A change of scenery did his career wonders. The same may be true of Holly.

Would you take her...........PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see Holly take responsibility for the team's poor performance. Other coaches look to themselves when their teams underperform.

[/QUOTE]
Vic's words: "My concern is I don’t see us getting better. And that falls on my shoulder. I see other teams in our league, Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri getting better. Now I don’t see those teams every day, but I don’t see us getting better. To me that is the challenge coaching this team, I’ve got to find a way to get us better.”
“They may be the best team I’ve ever coached. but I don’t know if we’re ever going to get to be that team. You’re either coaching it one way, or you’re allowing it one way. If they’re not playing right you’re allowing that. So we’ve got to do a good job to coach it the right way, demand it of them, then play it that way.
“But I believe we can get so much better. But right now I’m trying my best to make that happen and some day’s that’s a struggle.”

I'd say he's done a great job of making MS State better. They'd never won anything before he got there. 2 final fours in a row and defeated expected national champion UCONN year before last. That was after being routed by 60 points by them the previous year.

I'd like to see Holly take responsibility for the team's poor performance. Other coaches look to themselves when their teams underperform.
Vic's words: "My concern is I don’t see us getting better. And that falls on my shoulder. I see other teams in our league, Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri getting better. Now I don’t see those teams every day, but I don’t see us getting better. To me that is the challenge coaching this team, I’ve got to find a way to get us better.”
“They may be the best team I’ve ever coached. but I don’t know if we’re ever going to get to be that team. You’re either coaching it one way, or you’re allowing it one way. If they’re not playing right you’re allowing that. So we’ve got to do a good job to coach it the right way, demand it of them, then play it that way.
“But I believe we can get so much better. But right now I’m trying my best to make that happen and some day’s that’s a struggle.”

I'd say he's done a great job of making MS State better. They'd never won anything before he got there. 2 final fours in a row and defeated expected national champion UCONN year before last. That was after being routed by 60 points by them the previous year.[/QUOTE]

Well Holly did say this, as reported in the link that began this thread:

"We’ve got talent, no question,’’ Warlick said. “We’re young. That doesn’t give us an excuse, but it gives us an opportunity to teach and we’re going to build that toughness. I’ve been told you can’t teach effort and toughness. Well, I’m going to prove that wrong because that’s what we need.’’ "

In the world of coach speak, "I've got to find a way to get us better" is not all that different from, in paraphrase, "I am going to find a way to get us tougher and giving more effort," at least in terms of taking personal responsibility.

I will say this again, on the rank ordering list of Holly's problems, not being good at delivering the expected "coaching cliches" is near the bottom.

Last edited:
I would love to see a whip cream to the face next game on Holly but not nothing harmful.

Reactions: T.J.

I'd say he's done a great job of making MS State better. They'd never won anything before he got there. 2 final fours in a row and defeated expected national champion UCONN year before last. That was after being routed by 60 points by them the previous year.

"We’ve got talent, no question,’’ Warlick said. “We’re young. That doesn’t give us an excuse, but it gives us an opportunity to teach and we’re going to build that toughness. I’ve been told you can’t teach effort and toughness. Well, I’m going to prove that wrong because that’s what we need.’’ "

In the world of coach speak, I've got to find a way to get us better" is not all that different from, in paraphrase, I am going to find a way to get us tougher and more effort, at least in terms of personal responsibility.

I will say this again, on the rank ordering list of Holly's problems, not being good at delivering the expected coaching cliches is near the bottom.
Exactly. There is plenty to criticize, but it's gotten to the point where the criticism is simply that Holly opened her mouth and words came out. In the comparative quotes above Shaeffer essentially says, "I'm not maximizing the talent," and Holly says essentially, "I'm not maximizing the talent." Only a bias against Holly reads that any differently.

During the heyday, when games were rarely televised, if you saw a score flash up that the Lady Vols were down by 12 at the half, you thought: "Oh, crap. I wouldn't want to be in that locker room." Was it because you thought Pat was going to go in and say, "Sorry, girls... it's all my fault"? Of course not. She was going to light into them about THEIR lack of effort, or THEIR lack of focus.

Here's Pat, after a loss: "We're Tennessee. It's not like anyone is going to feel sorry for us. We have yet to buy into defense. We have to bring that every possession."

Or, how about this one: "We lost the ball game in the first half. I don't have any excuses for this team. I don't know when they're going to show up and play."

There's no way on earth the folks on here would hear these quotes and say: "She's blaming the players. She needs to take responsibility and own it," even though she was clearly, by the standards of this board, blaming the players.

You have to strain the soup pretty thin to come up with "It's all on the players, and I have nothing to do with it" from Holly's interviews. Again, absolutely valid to criticize the losses, coaching decisions, even her inability to get them to do what she says they need to do, but to nitpick every single comment is has gone into the realm of the absurd. To me, she actually sounds way more like she's in a fox hole with the girls. If there's a problem on that front it's that she's too much the big sister and not enough the mom.

Last edited:

In the world of coach speak, I've got to find a way to get us better" is not all that different from, in paraphrase, I am going to find a way to get us tougher and more effort, at least in terms of personal responsibility.

I will say this again, on the rank ordering list of Holly's problems, not being good at delivering the expected coaching cliches is near the bottom.
Exactly. There is plenty to criticize, but it's gotten to the point where the criticism is simply that Holly opened her mouth and words came out. In the comparative quotes above Shaeffer essentially says, "I'm not maximizing the talent," and Holly says essentially, "I'm not maximizing the talent." Only a bias against Holly reads that any differently.

During the heyday, when games were rarely televised, if you saw a score flash up that the Lady Vols were down by 12 at the half, you thought: "Oh, crap. I wouldn't want to be in that locker room." Was it because you thought Pat was going to go in and say, "Sorry, girls... it's all my fault"? Of course not. She was going to light into them about THEIR lack of effort, or THEIR lack of focus.

Here's Pat, after a loss: "We're Tennessee. It's not like anyone is going to feel sorry for us. We have yet to buy into defense. We have to bring that every possession."

Or, how about this one: "We lost the ball game in the first half. I don't have any excuses for this team. I don't know when they're going to show up and play."

There's no way on earth the folks on here would hear these quotes and say: "She's blaming the players. She needs to take responsibility and own it," even though she was clearly, by the standards of this board, blaming the players.

You have to strain the soup pretty thin to come up with "It's all on the players, and I have nothing to do with it" from Holly's interviews. Again, absolutely valid to criticize the losses, coaching decisions, even her inability to get them to do what she says they need to do, but to nitpick every single comment is has gone into the realm of the absurd. To me, she actually sounds way more like she's in a fox hole with the girls. If there's a problem on that front it's that she's too much the big sister and not enough the mom.[/QUOTE]
Same song and dance from Holly. Nothing but excuses. Every season it's the same problems with different teams. What remains the same is coach Holly Warlick.

The wheels have fallen off the Sooner Schooner in Norman. Sherri Coale makes $1.2 million per year. If Holly could bring any semblance of her current abilities to recruit to Oklahoma then Joe C would probably listen. The wolves are howling in Oklahoma...that ain't "the wind sweeping down the plain".

Been away for a few days. HW is disgraceful and appears clueless about how what she is saying damns her as a coach. Totally trashing the whole team is what, going to save her job? Is there something in the water? Require her to get a scan of her head! One on one drills with mail practice players signifies what Holly? It is done every year in top programs. This truly is the worst rambling of a plainly inadequate coach I have ever heard out of her.

Don't feel out of the loop. Heck, I didn't even realize that coaches can now order practice players by mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
Jimmy’s blog: Warlick says players have changed since she became head coach | WNML-AF

Completely delusional IMO. Back to blaming players. A whole lot of comments on how the players lack fundamentals and are soft, but nothing about how she hasn't adapted to the changes in the way the game is played.

All these low IQ and unskilled players don't seem to have any problems being coached by Muffet, Geno, Jeff, Tara, Vic and a whole slew of other capable coaches.

Further proof that she lacks self awareness.
So to quite coaching expert Joe Walsh, “Everybody’s so different. I haven’t changed.”

Besides the obvious W/L issue, this seems to underscore the reason to move her to an off-court position. These other coaches don’t seem to have a problem molding players into winners.

She is essentially blaming the kids and her coaches that recruit these kids. Either that, if she does a majority of the recruiting, she only sees the stars beside their names and nothing else. It is not hard to determine if a kid has good fundamentals. All I know is the team does not look prepared to play, and their defense is atrocious. It is obvious it is time for a change.

Jimmy’s blog: Warlick says players have changed since she became head coach | WNML-AF

Completely delusional IMO. Back to blaming players. A whole lot of comments on how the players lack fundamentals and are soft, but nothing about how she hasn't adapted to the changes in the way the game is played.

All these low IQ and unskilled players don't seem to have any problems being coached by Muffet, Geno, Jeff, Tara, Vic and a whole slew of other capable coaches.

Further proof that she lacks self awareness.

She's just like every incompetent Coach......using excuses

Reactions: T.J.
I believe the girls are being taught the fundamentals, but 2 of the issues are in game coaching and being soft on the players.

Auriemma has said pretty much the same thing for the last few years. He says that players come in poorly prepared, demanding and lacking fundamentals (he blames much of that on AAU ball - of which he is not a fan).
All of that does not excuse a coach's inability to improve their performance.

Auriemma has said pretty much the same thing for the last few years. He says that players come in poorly prepared, demanding and lacking fundamentals (he blames much of that on AAU ball - of which he is not a fan).
All of that does not excuse a coach's inability to improve their performance.

Geno thrives in and teaches "win or go home " basketball....
That is AAU!

Ergo, Geno is an AAU basketball coach

No Auriemma thrives in basketball fundamentals, including defense. None of which are a priority in AAU "showcase" basketball.
That's your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. They're kind of like bungholes only your own doesn't stink

That's your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. They're kind of like bungholes only your own doesn't stink

Not my opinion at all. I don't have an opinion regarding AAU. It's Auriemma's opinion and he's not the only D1 coach to say that. Care to compare resumes?

VN Store

Back