Warlick says players have changed since she became coach

Yeah, I would try to blame it on everything else but my ability to coach also if I were in her shoes. It's not as if other coaches are having great success with the same players and in many cases much less talent.

Remarks like that are going to burn through every shred of goodwill she has left. Unnecessary, untrue and people are going to think less of her for saying it.

Fire her. After that remark, tear her jersey down as well. FIRE THAT .....

Reactions: T.J.
Asked if the players are afraid to take a charge, Warlick said there’s “probably a little fear factor because you’ve got to take a hit.’’

Warlick added: `I’ll say this: We’re good at charging into people.’’ 😂😂😂

I've always had the general impression that when players, especially ones with some talent, are committing a lot of charges, it's because they're trying to use the athletic advantages they *used* to have at a lower level (so the advantage college players would have over typical high school competition because most high school players couldn't physically compete with them) to force a basket or force a foul cal from the referee. Except that now they're playing better competition who also knows the rules and can physically defend and draw charges, so it doesn't work out for them. They look out of control because they're used to just going into the scrum and coming out with a foul call. I've always wondered if that has a correlation with players not knowing or not trusting the offense they're supposed to be running, which is why they revert back to their earlier experiences where they just go looking to make something happen.

Reactions: PG1 and NoBackBoard
Well, afaik, every WCBB team will be using players from this same generation. One of those teams will be the champions. Why will it not be us?

Reactions: mcannon1
Jimmy’s blog: Warlick says players have changed since she became head coach | WNML-AF

Completely delusional IMO. Back to blaming players. A whole lot of comments on how the players lack fundamentals and are soft, but nothing about how she hasn't adapted to the changes in the way the game is played.

All these low IQ and unskilled players don't seem to have any problems being coached by Muffet, Geno, Jeff, Tara, Vic and a whole slew of other capable coaches.

Further proof that she lacks self awareness.
She is absolutely pathetic . The only thing that has changed, is we don't have a knowledgeable Coach anywhere on that bench. Two wins against some of the worst teams beside ours, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extension of her contract. Fulmer is about as pathetic as she is if he settles for the lower tier of the SEC.

Reactions: T.J. and chuck0303
Jimmy’s blog: Warlick says players have changed since she became head coach | WNML-AF

Completely delusional IMO. Back to blaming players. A whole lot of comments on how the players lack fundamentals and are soft, but nothing about how she hasn't adapted to the changes in the way the game is played.

All these low IQ and unskilled players don't seem to have any problems being coached by Muffet, Geno, Jeff, Tara, Vic and a whole slew of other capable coaches.

What hasn't changed is her ineptness as a head coach.

Holly chooses who to recruit - Cooper Hayes and these "players who lack fundamentals" and don't work on their games.
Why sign them?
If Holly is dug in and Fulmer doesn't care enough to give her the pink slip, she should at least interview prospective players by telling them she wants players willing to work on fundamentals. Player attitude, work habits, and desire to improve are measurable during HS. It seems very unlikely that players like Cooper and Hayes who were dismissed and Diamond left due to the Cooper situation, changed their attitude and behavior so dramatically that they were great recruits and suddenly unfit to be Lady Vols?
The stories about our best 3 point shooter Alexa Middleton leaving for Iowa State for her Sr year are indicative of a coach who is terrible at keeping teams together.
Earlier in this season, Holly bragged about 'great chemistry'! So what happened?

Point guards and 3 point shooters - Middleton, Cooper, Hayes - gone. Great players like Diamond leaving early due to Cooper's dismissal.
Complaints about player fundamentals and lack of work. These are all elements where great coaches understand how to communicate, inspire, and will their charges into being the best they can be. Claiming they don't work or focus -- lack effort - is the worst kind of team killing BS - Player blaming is a sure way to lose them. Holly has no clue how to inspire greatness - but she sure can pass the buck.
And Holly also should be honest with the recruits & tell them upfront "BTW I can't coach so you're on your own"!

Reactions: BUBear and T.J.

maybe she needs to recruit the same players that UConn, Louisville, Baylor, USCjr, Miss State, etc, etc go after

Reactions: T.J.

You must not be watching the same games I am. I have been pretty shocked at the lack of fundamentals with a squad made up of the talent we have. Some things that they do drives me crazy and should have been second nature by Jr. High. Not just on our squad either.

STOP THE BALL..... especially after turnovers they don't prioritize stopping the ball instead of hunting their direct responsibility.... some try to recover late but way too many EASY drives to the basket. Not so much talking about breakaways but more secondary breaks.

CREATE A PASSING LANE..... Too often when the ball is pressured they run to space, even if that lengthens the pass to them. How many cross court passes have been thrown and picked off or thrown out of bounds?

STOPPING THE DRIBBLE IN CORNERS.... make it way to easy to trapped.

LATE PASSES IN THE SHOT CLOCK....

There are other puzzlers involving defensive spacing and losing shooters, especially in the corners. They obviously understand trying to get open there on our end.

This team is comprised of some talented ladies and I have shared some frustrated and puzzled looks that have been on our coaches faces. How much of it is just youth and inexperience? New positions? Don't have a clue. Will the game slow down and instinctive reactions return?

But their play to date does make it appear that some fundamentals are not being evidenced on the court. On the other hand I don't see any underclassmen that do not look to have what it takes at this level.

I was encouraged at stretches during the FL game last night... defensive spacing and reaction was better and actually looked more cohesive... then short periods of looking lost again...

For me though there is hope... most going to depend on how effective the two young posts are upon arrival and if we actually add a go to player immediately in the talented lady from Ohio.... regardless of who the coach is.

Number #1 thing about Coaching and being a good Coach is knowing when and how to adjust to changes in the situation. Let that sink in... Holly is not a good Coach because she cannot adjust to changes in the situation. Accusing others and making excuses for changes in the situation is not good coaching and definitely not part of being a Head Coach. She will continue to be Mediocre in her Head Coaching Career if she is not able to deal with this problem.

Players have to be taught that is why you have three Assistant Coaches. They are there to teach fundamentals of shooting, free throws, decision making, defense, etc. Each coach takes a group and drills them in the fundamentals of the game. You only need five to seven players that get it and any player that doesn't never plays. Every team that Holly has coach is fundamentally unsound in almost every aspect of the game. If she get some of the most talented and highest rated players she would be at the bottom of the SEC every season.

I think this coaching staff is lazy when it comes to working with players. I think you can improve any player quickly if your willing to show them and have patience in teaching them. You can tell the Lady Vols haven't had a lot of instruction by their play on the court.

Last edited:
Holly wants to live by the saying "great players make great coaches" while the great coaches (Pat, Geno an others) live by "great coaches make great players". HW looking for a cheap way to past the buck when she should get a mirror to see the problem.

Reactions: T.J. and 1reVOLver
Just go to any of these big so called Exposure Showcase Summer AAU Events that hundreds of College Coaches attend! There is very little Coaching going on! Just thousands of athletic kids just trying to out shoot and out athletic the others with the thought of getting as many scholarship offers as possible! So its the College Coach that goes to these events really looking for a kid that really fits their system or a kid they can tell wants to be Coached are the ones who are being successful! AAU has become nothing but a $ meat market! These recruiting services are making tons of $ and really dont have to do much to make it!

PaleSpicyBurro-size_restricted.gif

I don't doubt the truth of anything she said. Different generations have different qualities. These millennials these days are different. I think they are more empathetic but not as tough as Gen-Xers Pat coached. I think Pat WOULD get turned in for harassment these days.

The kids are different. So what? Coach different or get out of the way.

There ARE successful coaches. Rick Barness is coaching the same generation, with arguably less talent but certainly better results. Maybe the players are different and harder to coach (or at least must be coached differently). And maybe, even if Warlick is correct, she may not be the best coach for the program these days.

I am against firing mid-season but unless something changes I think it would be appropriate for her to step down at season's end. She's all-Vol and I'm glad she played here, glad she coached here. But not everyone who played and coached here is cut out to be or head coach and it is looking more and more like that applies to her.

Maybe she thinks there is something holding her back, a missing piece that she needs to go to the next level. If so, I think Phil Fulmer is the AD that will hear it and make it happen. I don't know, that's above my pay-grade. But I don't think AD Fulmer should give her more than one more year to figure it out and probably not even one more year. We'll see. I would be upset if she was fired mid-season. I think that's low - unless there is gross negligence. And I would say only one more year - and that ONLY IF there is some major change on the horizon that he thinks would make a big difference for her and the team (and the faithful fanbase).

Reactions: teacherdean

This is what is so sad, Hollyhocks, along with Holly, keep blaming the players for Holly’s ineptitude. How many five stars do you need to throw at Holly before you realize that the buck stops at Holly’s desk? She is a nice person, but it is coaches who have to adapt coaching styles that work with the players they recruit. If she can’t adapt with the change in players, then she needs to quit. Top ten coaches don’t seem to have a problems.

This is what is so sad, Hollyhocks, along with Holly, keep blaming the players for Holly’s ineptitude. How many five stars do you need to throw at Holly before you realize that the buck stops at Holly’s desk? She is a nice person, but it is coaches who have to adapt coaching styles that work with the players they recruit. If she can’t adapt with the change in players, then she needs to quit. Top ten coaches don’t seem to have a problems.
Adapting is what coaching is all about. Give it up Holly let someone else give it a try.

Sounds like a politician trying to deflect blame. Instead of the players having changed, it may have to do with the culture she has created within the Lady Vol program. For this reason, its a great time for the Men's team to be having the kind of success we used to see the Ladies having on an yearly basis. The culture Rick Barnes has developed within the Men's program since his arrival is paying dividends now and has brought the maximum out of his players. Holly needs to intern for the Men's team to learn how to run a program. Lastly, the comment about Pat Summit was totally off base, and I don't even think she believes it, she just wants the fans to believe it so they will get off her case with how poorly the team has played. Rick Barnes hard coaches his players, Frank Martin does the same. Geno Auriemma lights into his players when they underperform, thats how they stay disciplined. Sheesh!

Sounds like a politician trying to deflect blame. Instead of the players having changed, it may have to do with the culture she has created within the Lady Vol program. For this reason, its a great time for the Men's team to be having the kind of success we used to see the Ladies having on an yearly basis. The culture Rick Barnes has developed within the Men's program since his arrival is paying dividends now and has brought the maximum out of his players. Holly needs to intern for the Men's team to learn how to run a program. Lastly, the comment about Pat Summit was totally off base, and I don't even think she believes it, she just wants the fans to believe it so they will get off her case with how poorly the team has played. Rick Barnes hard coaches his players, Frank Martin does the same. Geno Auriemma lights into his players when they underperform, thats how they stay disciplined. Sheesh!

Great points on the culture. More than X's and O's, I think the key to long term success is being able to foster the right culture where everyone buys into a winning mindset and doing all the little things necessary to succeed. I was stunned by her comments about CPS. Whether or not "kids today" are different, unless other coaches have a time machine, everyone is in the same "generational boat" so the real issue is whether a coach can adapt to changing times.

Last edited:
Holly wants to live by the saying "great players make great coaches" while the great coaches (Pat, Geno an others) live by "great coaches make great players". HW looking for a cheap way to past the buck when she should get a mirror to see the problem.
Rick Barnes players were not All-American five stars. They certainly are now, so I would definitely give credit to good coaching.

VN Store

Back