War in Ukraine

I think one would need to be pretty limber to stretch that into "Putin is terrified of him and wouldn't make a move on his watch."

Honestly that's so close to what Joe was implying there, damn near a bullseye.

Continues to baffle me that all the Putin apologists, and all the posters who said this was made up by the media and Biden as a distraction, have all seemed to abandon the thread.

abandon-thread.gif

So I'm supposed to care about the autonomy and freedom of a country across the world, while the freedom of a country that we border is being torn to shreds with our assistance?

Can you elaborate?

I still believe Ukraine concedes NATO before casualties start piling up, and that's enough to stop a Russia invasion. But I now hold out some significant room that Putin is crazy enough to start WWIII.

Can you elaborate?

Freezing assets of peaceful protestors without bringing about charges, threatening to "come after everyone who supported the truckers" by a police chief, forcing tow truck drivers to work under threat of criminal charges, suspending rights of citizens at the drop of a hat under faux emergency orders, etc, etc.

I still believe Ukraine concedes NATO before casualties start piling up, and that's enough to stop a Russia invasion. But I now hold out some significant room that Putin is crazy enough to start WWIII.

I don’t think Ukraine has much choice. The casualties will pile up real quick if they decide to fight. Russia could conquer and occupy all of Ukraine in less than 2 weeks, imo.

I don’t think he’s that crazy either. I think his intention is for Ukraine to remove themselves from the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts...whatever that entails. They will never be part of Ukraine again. I also think it’s possible Ukraine join both the EU and NATO after ceding this fact..

Last edited:
So I'm supposed to care about the autonomy and freedom of a country across the world, while the freedom of a country that we border is being torn to shreds with our assistance?

Mexico. Tijuana is a nice place to meet prospective brides.

A country on our border? How about our freedoms here in America? We have our own house to clean.

Reactions: volinsd
He is not going to start WWIII. That is something the likes of John Bolton would do.

Freezing assets of peaceful protestors without bringing about charges, threatening to "come after everyone who supported the truckers" by a police chief, forcing tow truck drivers to work under threat of criminal charges, suspending rights of citizens at the drop of a hat under faux emergency orders, etc, etc.

It's a bad situation, but you understand that our Bill of Rights and Constitution don't apply to them, right?

You didn't imply it was their freedom that was being "torn to shreds", that has a different connotation that that of a country literally being torn to shreds.

Really interesting that the Russian equity market's positive reaction to Biden's announcement yesterday totally evaporated and has now made new lows. RUB is also at a new low against USD. Moscow Stock Exchange was closed today, using RSX as a proxy.

Reactions: tvolsfan
This skirmish can get out of hand quickly.
It can, but the conflict can also stay frozen for a long time too. Russia still has troops in South Ossetia from their 2008 war; they haven't taken further action since that war but are still there. Putin initially made moves into eastern Ukraine in 2014 and honestly the situation on the ground hasn't changed all that much 8 years later; Russia simply officially recognized their de facto independent status and moved regular troops in.

I'm not sure Putin himself knows what his next move is. He likes keeping his options open. As in Georgia and now in Ukraine he likes to do this thing where he makes a move then waits for the West to cool off before making another.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back