War in Ukraine

I blame conspiracy theories. I think he, and some of the others fell into that trap.

1. Our government does some straight up bad stuff.
2. Some of those things we know about, others we don't
3. They probably started off with one of the small ones, that has some unanswered questions, and found a reasonable theory with an explanation with our government being the bad guy.
3b. One of those reasonable theories was probably proven at some point.
4. Now because one of part of one of them is true, they must all be true. They start to buy into the conspiracy side of the theories.
5. Anyone who doesn't buy into the deepest conspiracy they do is a sheep. and anything disproving them, even their own inconsistent arguments, are to be ignored. because "you just won't see the truth"
6. They have to spread their beliefs, either out of honest belief, pure intentions, feeding their paranoia, combatting whatever evil, or just feeding their ego. So they rely on any strategy they can and feed off the insecurities of others posing arguments in ways that completely distort the truth just to get people to buy into whatever point they are making; instead of taking the time to find the truth themselves.
7. End up in an echo chamber where they chase themselves down further and further rabbit holes until the point where the truth doesn't even matter and they aren't even questioning anything, or applying critical thinking. Its all about belonging to this new group/truth, and how far you can take it.

and soon enough you believe that the country invading another is defending itself from people not involved in the fight.

One of our weaknesses is political appointments - granting positions to people who funded campaigns, academics with no experience, etc. Of course, political science majors taught by academics with no experience doesn't exactly up the competence level either. The other is that people generally get into politics not because they care and have anything to offer as much as they are just thugs with a quest for power - they are just more arrogant, egotistical, and narcissistic than the rest of us; so in the end they tend to make poor decisions because they act not on competence and understanding but on arrogance. The point is that is a worldwide problem, and for Ras to claim we are the only ones suffering from that particular pestilence is foolish - since we flip policy every four years or so, nobody ever seems to learn a damn thing - in that Ras is probably somewhat right.

Just because he served doesn't give him a pass over being a turd or any other derogatory adjective a person wants to use except maybe coward.

Did you see the line of utter lying bovine excrement Marine Col Craig Tucker set forth as "expert testimony" in Rupp v. Bonta?

Seriously they should. Then they wouldnt keep doing stupid things like attacking without air cover. When Russia/Wagner led Syrian large force tried to attack with armor a 30 man outpost of ours in the Battle of Khasham, they did exactly the SAME STUPID THING AS THEY ARE DOING NOW!

So our guys call the Russians and say, are these your guys? and Ivan says Nope, not us! Ok, we say. Then hellfire and damnation rains from the sky. Basically, F22/F15s do a fly by, followed by helicopters and gunships (AKA armor killers) followed by a QRF that was on its way. What was left of Ivan after the air got through had to deal with the 30 Delta/Ranger SpecOps troops that were there in the first place, now supported by the 20 or so Marines QRF. Thus, not a single 'merican was so much as wounded while Ivan's force was cut to ribbons.

Now how can they not learn from that? but it is clear from current happenings in Ukraine that they have not learned at ALL. Again, I really don't understand. Does Russia actually have an air force/ attack helicopters/ gunships? Its rhetorical. I mean, I am happy for the Ukrainians but just mystified how the ruskies could F things up so badly when they have the overwhelming capability to win.

A big part seems to be that nobody "owns the sky". Without air superiority and without wiping out air defenses, ground attack by helicopters and other slow moving planes is risky business. As effective as A-10s are, for example, they would seem unsuited for war in Ukraine, and I can't see something like an F-35 being any better ... AC-130s would be shoulder fired missile magnets. Ukraine has requested our cluster bombs - not for the bombs but for the enclosed bomblets that they could drop from small drones. There's a lot to learn from this war because it's definitely different. Without real close air support, it's back to earlier times in a lot of respects, and it's honestly hard to see either side gaining air superiority - although you'd think Russia would have the upper hand to do so because of numbers.

I'm not here to defend McGregor or to be favorable toward Russia? He is entitled to his opinion like everyone else.

Are you making an argument for facism when it pertains to a war?

Speaking of war, are people now admitting were in a war since they are worried about what Russia is showing in their country?

My point is two fold: 1) wtf is our strategy, and 2) when there is a moron in the WH then you get more chaos in the world.

Our country has record crime, massive debt, record illegal immigration, a corrupt DOJ, the worst race relations in decades, a weakening military because less people want to and are able to join, and a bad economy with 16 or more months of heightened inflation.

Russia invaded a sovreign nation I get that. That doesn't make it our permanent problem while this country is in the crapper. My guess is people in the intelligence community knew this was coming. You work toward a diplomatic solution before the conflict starts. Instead the Biden Administration has been ******* up everything since it started including the Afghanistan withdrawal. They have been openly poking at Russia since Hillary Clinton of all people along with Jake Sullivan and others created the fake dossier.

Personally I think we need to show strength and confidence but you can't have the person in charge looking inept for a year then be shocked when "territorial" disputes go from simmering to a fire.

A China dispute with Taiwan is also looming. There is nothing about this CIC should give any Americans confidence unless you're a lemming. When you look at they let a spy satellite fly across our country to overreacting and shooting down cheap balloons. Like everything else, they beat their chest early bragging about how they shot down UFO's then Blinklen was no where to be found to correct the record.

I am consistent. If Trump or any Republican was in office and he hadn't done what he can to put water on this conflict then I'd be critical. I'm critical of his childish behavior all the time. We can't keep spending like drunken sailors for multiple reasons and I don't think I need to go over all of those reasons with you why. Most are common sense.

I'm not as versed on this conflict as you folks that follow it daily. I don't really care all that much. I know the jokes about Russia losses. Well Ukrainians are losing to. I hope that behind the scenes there are concessions given on both sides.

I ask you, what are the options being discussed to bring an end to the conflict and not make this a never-ending war for hopefully the next administration?

There's a lot to like in this comment. For starters, with better and more competent leadership in this country and others around the world, perhaps Putin would have rethought invasion of Ukraine - realizing it wouldn't go unchallenged. However, diplomacy and negotiation shouldn't be the name of the game. One country just doesn't get to decide it wants part of another country - end of story; there's no negotiating to be done. You just don't do it, and others don't step in and decide "Well, maybe just a little nibble here and there."

The other thing is that if good people sit back and let bad things happen, then it becomes a norm ... a breakdown of civility. Russia has been playing that game and was unchallenged, so there was no reason for Russia to believe they couldn't get away with it in Ukraine. That's really not so different from the start of WW2 when Hitler was annexing bits and pieces here and there, and nobody challenged Germany from the start. It sets up a behavior.

Martin Niemöller said it well - just on a more personal level when he wrote:

First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out Because I was not a Communist

Last edited:
Reactions: BreatheUT
They are the ones in control over there, it will last as long as they want and be fought at the pace they want.

Edit to add: Ukraine is losing close to 10:1 in casualties, if not more right now and their equipment is being taken out in the same fashion. Russia's goal of demilitarization of Ukraine is being waged quite impressively.
Lmao

Can someone explain the purpose of camouflaging the top side of a fighter jet?

Duh
Because if you are flying at low altitude, you want to blend in with the ground below to reduce your chances of being spotted from above. Basic military knowledge since WWI. Also comes in handy if you are sitting on the ground

Duh
Because if you are flying at low altitude, you want to blend in with the ground below to reduce your chances of being spotted from above. Basic military knowledge since WWI. Also comes in handy if you are sitting on the ground

Not sure that the color scheme depicted really blends in with the ground in most places - could be it matches Russian snow. It does remind me when the Navy adopted a similar pattern (with more blue and less gray) for their BDUs. I asked my wife (Navy Reserve at the time) exactly what the thought process behind that was. She said the current joke was that it makes you harder to spot should you fall off a ship. Military intelligence is still an oxymoron.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
These clowns thought that Coca-Cola, McDonalds and H&M leaving Russia would shutdown the Russian economy.

Naive pontification.

Don’t Trust Russia’s Numbers
Moscow has made economic statistics a central part of its information war.

By Agathe Demarais, the global forecasting director at the Economist Intelligence Unit.

MARCH 13, 2023, 6:00 AM

Why do so many people in the West—who should probably know better by now—trust the data of authoritarian governments conducting an information war?

The latest controversy surrounds the state of the Russian economy and what Western media and others have been reporting to their audiences. Read anything about the war in Ukraine these days, and you’ll probably find a mention that the Russian economy contracted by about 2 percent in 2022—a low decline that suggests little more than a mild recession. That number has entered the policy debate: For some, the low figure is proof that the Russian economy is resilient and sanctions do not work. Others use the same figure to argue that sanctions are starting to bite and Western countries should double down. These opposing arguments have one thing in common: They rely on a largely meaningless number.

Even if Russia’s reported GDP decline were truthful, it is clear that three factors artificially boosted the Russian growth number in 2022. First, the economic growth figure has been fueled by Russia’s turbocharged production of military gear. Producing tanks and missiles does not improve living standards, however, and this part of Russian GDP will quickly be destroyed on the battlefield. Second, Russia’s export earnings jumped in 2022 because of the war-induced spike in energy prices. And third, Western embargos on technology and other goods as well as sinking Russian consumer demand led to a plunge in imports, which dropped by almost 10 percent during 2022, according to Russia’s official data.

Even more important than what Russia’s “growth” really means, however, is the fact that the Kremlin’s figures cannot be trusted. That’s because Russia has made statistics a central part of its information war. Moscow’s goal is clear: to argue that sanctions do not work, thereby undercutting those who think they are a key tool to stop or contain Russia’s aggression against Ukraine (as I have argued in Foreign Policy). This strategy rests on three pillars. The Kremlin communicates heavily using cherry-picked forecasts, presenting them as facts and forgetting to mention that they are massively outside expert consensus. Moscow also delays the release of statistics that don’t fit its narrative. Finally, the figures it does release are of dubious quality—and frequently revised later.

There's a lot to like in this comment. For starters, with better and more competent leadership in this country and others around the world, perhaps Putin would have rethought invasion of Ukraine - realizing it wouldn't go unchallenged. However, diplomacy and negotiation shouldn't be the name of the game. One country just doesn't get to decide it wants part of another country - end of story; there's no negotiating to be done. You just don't do it, and others don't step in and decide "Well, maybe just a little nibble here and there."

The other thing is that if good people sit back and let bad things happen, then it becomes a norm ... a breakdown of civility. Russia has been playing that game and was unchallenged, so there was no reason for Russia to believe they couldn't get away with it in Ukraine. That's really not so different from the start of WW2 when Hitler was annexing bits and pieces here and there, and nobody challenged Germany from the start. It sets up a behavior.

Another Hitler example. Joy. Too bad you missed out on the rest of history class, then you wouldnt make idiotic statements like this, "One country just doesn't get to decide it wants part of another country - end of story; there's no negotiating to be done."

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
These clowns thought that Coca-Cola, McDonalds and H&M leaving Russia would shutdown the Russian economy.

Almost every US calculation in this conflict has been a miscalculation. Of course all we hear from the Ukrianiacs is how badly Russia miscalculated this conflict. Confession through projection every single time.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

Keep in mind that the US is still in NE Syria... None of what you said here makes sense if you don't have the same level of outrage over that... or the Israelis in Golan Heights... or Turks in NE Cypress.

Another Hitler example. Joy. Too bad you missed out on the rest of history class, then you wouldnt make idiotic statements like this, "One country just doesn't get to decide it wants part of another country - end of story; there's no negotiating to be done."
200 years from now, they are going to be using the Hitler/Neville Chamberlain example to justify ANY preemptive or interventionist action. And 200 years from now, we still will not have diplomats in the US. Incredible that a one-off event is being used and abused in this manner.

Reactions: volgr
Almost every US calculation in this conflict has been a miscalculation. Of course all we hear from the Ukrianiacs is how badly Russia miscalculated this conflict. Confession through projection every single time.

LMAO.

No doubt you'll be claiming that Russia is still "winning" when Putin is castrated and thrown out of window.

Enjoy this lull in activity before Ukraine counters bigly and f****** smashes your p*ssy Russian troops right out of the f****** country.

VN Store

Back