WALT ....

donsargegolf

I live in Pittsburgh though I travel back for most Vol games. They are going to run Walt Harris out of town here in a few weeks. Would anyone want him back in the saddle as our OC? Just giving an option to the VolNation.Hey Philip the area code in Pittsburgh is 412!

If we were looking to hire one, I would take him.

I saw him on TV last week and he looked a lot younger than I thought he was. Wasn't he the OC back in the early 80s?

I believe it was the early 80s but I am not sure exactly.

he was at ut from 83-88 as Both OC then Asst. Head Coach to John Majors.If you don't remember we lit up some points back then!

Doesn't that mean that he was the offensive mentor to . . . ? Just kidding - I don't want to have that argument anymore today.

We were pretty good on offense during that period at least until that last year when we started 0-6. :blink:

he left us to be the Head man at Pacific and then was Coopers OC at Ohio State for quite some time. Coach Majors is a good friend of mine and a Great Football coach despite the rap many Vol fans give him. Not to mention one of the THREE most recognized football alumni of our great university. You may not be old enough to remember where our program was when he "came back home."

do you remember what happened in the next 30 plus games? During that period we were the opposite of our program now. Great offenses and little defense. '88 was the beginning of everything that happened in the 90's culminating in'98. Now were working back the other direction. I wish the VolNation would give him the recognition he deserves, he feels so hurt-angry-etc about the way it ended.

I was only 5 when Majors came back, but I've heard the stories about how we turned the program over to 28 year old Bill Battle and let him run it into the ground in the mid 70s.

I have nothing but respect for Majors. Nobody looked good in the squabble there at the end of his tenure, but I don't think there is any doubt that he is the original architecht of the program that you see on the field today.

I remember when Johnny came marching home and I remember Walt Harris. Too bad they are going to run him out of Pitt. I think he's done well there. Had that receiver stayed, they probably would have won a few more this year (losing to UConn can't ever help your case even if they are having a good year).

I remember those teams as well. Anthony Hancock, Wille Gault, Randall Morris etc. I also remember Pitt coming to town and beating the living crap out of us. They had Ricky Jackson on one end and one of my all-time favorites Hugh Green on the other. Willie Gault took a kick off back all the way for about the only scoring we could manage.

I would welcome WH back. There was some talk that Bama was looking at him before they decided the Price was right or wrong that is :rolleyes:

Donsarge,

Do you think Johnny would accept the recognition? Don't get me wrong, I believe he is very deserving. Next to the General, JM is probably the most important figure in UT football. He was the coach during the time that I went to most of the games I"ve been to. However, I've heard him speak about this and he seems to be very bitter (understandable) and it seemed unlikely that he would want to be recognized, associated with the program as long as Fulmer is here. In the interview, we wouldn't even say Fulmer's name. Again, I can understand this but it seems that there's a huge barrier here.

I miss the Johnnyisms that I posted in another thread: hit'em a lick, we bowed our necks, he laid his ears back, put a hat (helmet) on him and my favorite, he busted a gut as in describing Houston Thomas - a kick-off wedge breaker - "We'll he just busted a gut to get down there, laid his ears back and hit him a lick"

Bottomline, I do think the fans have very positive and fond memories of JM - at least I do and please pass that along to him if you think its appropriate.

Thanks

hey Don , lots of respect for Johnny, but he coached before the wonder of the internet, how much bickering about play calling do you think would have gone on between fans if the net was up in his time? I remember yelling at him during games (several times) for going for the tie instead of the win especially when we had been moving the ball effectively and it always seemed to me that we would get a 7 pt lead in the first qtr and then try to squat on that lead instead of opening things up. I hate the way things where handled and I know there is still bad blood but Johnny is and will always be a GREAT part of Vol Football history.

Sometimes, people look at the past with rose colored glasses. Harris was a good OC. However, Sanders record is just as good.

Walt Harris was OC from 1983-1988. His offenses averaged 25.85 points-per-game and averaged 379.7 yards-per-game in total offense. His last season, 1988, the Vols rushing offense averaged 134.5 yards-per-game.... the worst by a Tennessee offense since 1983. The Vols record during Harris time their as OC was 47-21-4 (68.1%).

The current OC's offenses average 27.37 points-per-game and 379.8 yards-per-game total offense. 2002's rushing offense came close to 1988's... 138.5 yards-per-game. The Vols record with Sanders as OC is 54-18 (74.0%).

The same complaints made by some folks regarding Fulmer and Sanders now.... were made regarding Johnny Majors when he was the head coach. Some people just want to complain no matter what the situation is.

FYI for those that hold Cutcliffe in high regard...
Some Mississippi players were critical of their coach in the aftermath of the Rebels' worst loss in two years. Senior defensive end Cory Robinson said part of Ole Miss' poor execution during a 35-3 loss to Arkansas was a result of "bad calls from (the press) box." Senior offensive guard Doug Buckles said he thought there didn't seem to be much understanding of "down and distance" on some plays. Coach David Cutcliffe downplayed those comments and blamed the Rebels' disappointing season for the flare-ups.

In my opinion, the Vols have had alot of good coaches and still have good coaches. To have the kind of record that the Vols have had since the 80's is incredible. Every program will have its ups and downs... just look at Oklahoma and now Nebraska.... but the Vols since the late 80's have never won less than 8 games in a season. I'm proud of each and every coach for the continued excellence.

Now, I don't agree with every single call... but I think that overall the coaching staff at UT is doing a great job.

Originally posted by GAVol@Nov 17, 2004 11:10 PM
I was only 5 when Majors came back, but I've heard the stories about how we turned the program over to 28 year old Bill Battle and let him run it into the ground in the mid 70s.

With respect to Bill Battle, it should be noted that he never had a losing record as coach at UT. His 1-6 record versus Alabama and 2-5 against Auburn.... and the loss in 1975 to North Texas State were probably the reasons that he was let go.... and of course it didn't help that Johnny Majors had just won the National Championship at Pittsburgh in Battle's last season.

1970 11-1
1971 10-2
1972 10-2
1973 8-3
1974 7-3-2
1975 7-5
1976 6-5

4-1 bowl record

9-10-1 vs ranked teams

Wait a minute... are you serious about Walt Harris.... Pittsburgh's 6-3 (3-2 Big East) this season and rated 29th in the BCS standings. They can still tie for the Big East Championship.

When he took over the program in 1997, they had managed just 15 wins in the previous five seasons... Harris immediately led the Panthers to their first winning season in six years as well as their first postseason berth since 1989.

The Panthers finished 9-4 and 8-4 the last two years. The 9-4 record was the best since 1982. They finished ranked 18th. Last season, Pittsburgh’s national profile continued to elevate due to WR Larry Fitzgerald, which should only help with recruiting.

I think that Harris would have to have a losing record to get fired at Pittsburgh.

I agree, I've been following Pitt since the 70's (I'm from Pittsburg originally and have relatives that are alums). I think WH has done a solid job. The only way you fire this type of coach is if you have a demonstrably better one already on the hook. This firing a winner and then hoping to find someone to take you to the next level is :bs:

Their fan support is not great. I've watched several of their games this year and there are lots of empty seats (the place holds about 60 - 65k). You got to think they'd be winning the Big East if Fitzgerald had stayed (I think he left after his sophomore year).

Problem with batlle was that it was evident his teams were getting worse year after year instead of better. He never had a team that did better than the previous year.

I still can't believe they gave Battle the job.

Can you imagine the outcry today if you turned a top 10 program over to a 28 year old?!?!?

at the time coach majors left i was suprised it was an outright 'heres your hat sorry u cant stay'....i was mildly suprised he didnt get the AD or was at least in some compacity of athletics management

To be fair - Majors didn't exactly endear himself to the administration when he started publicly complaining about his contract situation . . . he tried to use public opinion to leverage his way to an extension and then had the bad luck to have a heart attack before he had a chance to sign the contract. Then he understandably rushed himself back too soon and we had a divided team. I think everybody wishes the circumstances had been different.

Back to Walt Harris, not only does Pittsburgh have a chance to tie for the Big East Championship.... the way the tie-breaker scenario works out, they would get the BCS Bowl bid.

Here's how it works.... In the event of a four-way tie, which happens if BC beats Temple, loses to Syracuse and Pitt beats West Virginia, the higher rated team between Pitt and Syracuse would be the champ. If neither is rated or they are tied, Syracuse is the champ because it beat Pitt. You would assume that Syracuse would get the BCS bid because of the head-to-head result, based on the assumption that "unranked" meant not in the top 25, as is the case with the polls. However, the Big East has said it will go as far down the rankings as necessary, even if neither team is on the published list. That means "unranked" is defined as not receiving a vote in either poll and not in the top 25 of at least two computers.

To be honest, Pitt has an easier road to get to a BCS game than Tennessee. And they are going to fire him??

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 19, 2004 11:29 AM
To be honest, Pitt has an easier road to get to a BCS game than Tennessee. And they are going to fire him??

Before you start telling your friends that Walt Harris is about to be run, keep in mind who started this thread. Donsargegolf calls for coaches to be fired the way most people eat popcorn.

Hey GaVol, how can one who lives in Georgia, and pulls for Tennessee have so much knowledge about the inner workings of football in Pittsburgh? I should know by now there is nothing you don't know when it comes to football, this website and all topics that are posted both near and far. :bow: By the way "who made you pope of this website?" :dunno: and just so you know, I don't eat popcorn!

VN Store

Back