Walking before we run: Beat Missouri

Lol. Why? There’s just no way to promise a win vs them or pretty much anybody else right now.
Same w Kentucky. They lose too many pieces that contributed to their success last year. We won’t be better than most of our sec foes, but we will beat those two. MSU maybe too. We aren’t going to suck. We just don’t have an SEC front seven yet.

We all have our sights set on much bigger things, naturally, but after what Missouri has done to us the past two years, it would be nice to start with giving them a little payback this season. That is a program we should be much better than year in and year out and they've had our number. That needs to change starting in 2019.
They have had our number for most of the time they have been in the SEC.

I remember when Dooley was the coach, we had something like a 28 to 0 lead at half time and lost.
I was at the game on the 50 yard line front row. MO's big receivers kept killing us in OT. Dooley came over to the defense to give them a pep talk and they didn't even acknowledge his existence. Dooley looked like he was about to cry and walked away. I turned to my wife and told her this game is over and Dooley is gone...

By longitude, Auburn should be in the east, and Mizzou should be in the west. Check the coordinates of SEC campuses, and you'll know that Auburn is among the easternmost seven SEC schools. Only Arkansas and TAMU are west of Mizzou. Pressure the SEC to make the switch, or do away with divisions, schedule schools on a unbiased rotation, and have the two best teams play each other in the SECCG.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
By longitude, Auburn should be in the east, and Mizzou should be in the west. Check the coordinates of SEC campuses, and you'll know that Auburn is among the easternmost seven SEC schools. Only Arkansas and TAMU are west of Mizzou. Pressure the SEC to make the switch, or do away with divisions, schedule schools on a unbiased rotation, and have the two best teams play each other in the SECCG.
I’m with Tin Man. I’d love to do away with this East/West crap.

Living in Missouri, it pisses me off that Mizzou has a winning record against us since entering the SEC. This is a team that never won the Big 12 and has owned us. It’s well passed time that we put them down in the cellar with Kentucky and Vanderbilt and let the adults settle the East Division.

My thoughts too. Beating Vandy, KY and SC...then Mizzou. That’s the pecking order imo.

Jesus how sad is it that we have to start beating freaking Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Missouri before we can even imagine of being “back.”

Mike Hamilton and Jimmy Haslam should have to swim naked in the Amazon river covered in cows blood for what they did to this football program.

Last edited:
I was at the game on the 50 yard line front row. MO's big receivers kept killing us in OT. Dooley came over to the defense to give them a pep talk and they didn't even acknowledge his existence. Dooley looked like he was about to cry and walked away. I turned to my wife and told her this game is over and Dooley is gone...

I always love these stories lol. Like somewhere, there is a forum discussing The Real Housewives, and some chick is posting "Oh I do remember her saying that! I was watching on my phone while at a ballgame and my husband was trying to talk to me like he knew what the hell was going on."

Reactions: OrangeSquid
We all have our sights set on much bigger things, naturally, but after what Missouri has done to us the past two years, it would be nice to start with giving them a little payback this season. That is a program we should be much better than year in and year out and they've had our number. That needs to change starting in 2019.
I agree. But, I don't think, realistically, we've got the horses to compete with them, this season. I hope I am wrong.

They have beat us by 30+ points the past two years. I guess that means they will only beat us by 3 TDs this year.

I think you misunderstood. When they said "beat Missouri", they meant beat the spread. Really comes down to depth for us, one good player at each position isnt enough by November.

I always love these stories lol. Like somewhere, there is a forum discussing The Real Housewives, and some chick is posting "Oh I do remember her saying that! I was watching on my phone while at a ballgame and my husband was trying to talk to me like he knew what the hell was going on."
That's funny right there! Had to give it a like.

They keep doing it with mediocre classes. They've also beat some of the worst Tennessee teams in recent memory.

We just need to contain Bryant and make MZ rely on the passing game. If we can do this we should eek out a win.

Contain Bryant? I hope so, but it's not likely.
The only defense that did that in the past two years was Alabama vs Clemson in the 2017 national semi-final and TAMU vs Clemson for part of the 2018 game in College Station.

Bryant does fine except against elite secondaries or when he's injured.
He's just not Tua or Trevor...or the Mizzou game would be a sure loser for the 2019 Vols.

Contain Bryant? I hope so, but it's not likely.
The only defense that did that in the past two years was Alabama vs Clemson in the 2017 national semi-final and TAMU vs Clemson for part of the 2018 game in College Station.

While true, at MZ he won’t be behind an OL made up of 4 and 5 stars. We were one of the few teams that contained Wilson at UK last year, and our defense should be better this year. I see it as a much similar game.

Lol. Why? There’s just no way to promise a win vs them or pretty much anybody else right now.

this is so true our whole team and mind set may be in a different sphere by the time we play Vandy. One year we had 19 one time starters not playing because of injuries etc...by the time we played Vandy. One year the whole team sans a few had cashed it in. So like you said there's no guarantees.

Reactions: Titan05
In our last 3 meetings, Mizzou has averaged 360 yards on the ground. The games are being won at the line of scrimmage

Don’t see why we’re being compared to Vanderbilt. Missouri is actually a winning program and has won their division multiple times in the last 12 years.

The only teams we’ve really struggled to beat recently are the Alabamas, Oklahomas and Georgias of the world, to give some perspective.

In our last 3 meetings, Mizzou has averaged 360 yards on the ground. The games are being won at the line of scrimmage

Don’t see why we’re being compared to Vanderbilt. Missouri is actually a winning program and has won their division multiple times in the last 12 years.

The only teams we’ve really struggled to beat recently are the Alabamas, Oklahomas and Georgias of the world, to give some perspective.

Honestly, much of what I’ve seen in the thread’s posts seemed more along the lines of “Tennessee needs to beat Vanderbilt first before we start talking about anyone else” ideas than anything about Vanderbilt and Missouri being equal/comparable programs.

I disagree. They will play with a mean edge just to show they belong in a mid to major bowl, despite being ineligible. Playing with pride and a big "fork you" thrown in the NCAA's face.
I don't know WV.....after all, they are SJWU. They may just sit down and cry.

VN Store

Back