'20 WA OLB Sav'ell Smalls

I think Pruitt disliked Briles not having a traditional answer for his questions...nor a playbook. The Briles system doesn't use a playbook and is very unorthodox from a teaching perspective. I think he found that disconcerting with the way he's used to.
I have got to be honest... the briles system is horrible for the NFL and with most defenses in the SEC... literally half of their playbook is option routes and they have only a handful of progression reads... I honestly have no idea why any QB who sees a future for himself in football would want to play in that system...

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I have got to be honest... the briles system is horrible for the NFL and with most defenses in the SEC... literally half of their playbook is option routes and they have only a handful of progression reads... I honestly have no idea why any QB who sees a future for himself in football would want to play in that system...
Many NFL teams are starting to make the transition over to mixing in RPO style of offense.

Fair enough, but who knows where the league is headed. People used to say that about anything not traditional pro style, then zone read and then air raid, etc. Systems are trickling up.

Just curious why you say option routes are not good for the nfl/half of sec.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but who knows where the league is headed. People used to say that about anything not traditional pro style, then zone read and then air raid, etc. Systems are trickling up.

Just curious why you say option routes are not good for the nfl/half of sec.
Should point out I’m far from an expert and could be wrong....

I’m not saying they aren’t good, see the NE patriots... however when that is almost your whole offense that is a major problem. 1.) no progression reads for QB
2.) defenses have too many sneak defenses that bait you into throws and option routes requires the WR and QB to see the same way at the same time.

For example Baylor has a play that a lot of HS run now that has two options for the front side WR’s and tell the other side you can do whatever... so HS’ would name it leap frog because the other side would actually play leap frog during the play lol... it was hiliarious.

Art briles system is a simplified version of the Air raid... a lot of people run the air raid but have other components to it like OU. Baylor just doesn’t... Just never have been a fan of it, it lacks physicality so when you have guys that can run with your WR your screwed.

VN Store

Back