Volunteer State Community College

Correct, but satellite campus. They have atleast 8 satellite campuses in the surrounding counties. It's Roane State, for Roane County. Harriman. It was a legit question for the OP. Just didn't hold water.

And no, mine is dual enrollment. He's a HS Junior. He doesn't go anywhere, even though there is a Cookeville campus. He does his classes online at HS. I guess I under estimated my audience. I thought it would be understood that if someone is in dual enrollment, they are in HS and don't actually attend classes on a college campus.

Uh....... You said Vol State's main campus was in Nashville. It's not. That's the extent of my argument with you. Not even a satellite campus in Davidson County for Vol State. Gallatin. Sumner County.

I would think Tennesseans would know, by osmosis mabye, that there's not JUCO football in our fine state. I mean, there's 10 main campuses for JUCO's more or less equally spread in every region of the state. I'm amazed that the 2nd post didn't clear up the first one. Instead, here we are, 3 pages later plowing the same old ground.

Blue Dragons. Kamara and Patterson among others. Of course, it's west of the Mississippi and not in TN. JUCO and NAIA football is very competitive where there aren't any big schools close by.

Hutchinson Community College is well know for helping star athletes get their grades up.

It's like academic rehab.

they have basketball, baseball, and softball

Volunteer state is basically a feeder school for summer county kids before they switch to MTSU or another local college. Also has a ton of nurses.

It’s just not going to produce those kind of athletes.

Went to Wikipedia and found some info. Stopped military in 1975 and they closed in 1988 (which was my HS graduation year)

TMI Academy[edit]

The main building, built in 1909, as it appeared in 2009.
In 1975, the school ceased being a military academy, becoming a traditional secondary school/college preparatory school, though still a boarding school. To reflect this, the name of the school was changed to TMI Academy. Curriculum started as early as fifth grade some years, continuing through twelfth grade. Some years a "post-graduate" curriculum was also offered. Due to financial problems, TMI finally closed for good in 1988 after 114 years of continuous operation. This was in spite of financial backing from actor Burt Reynolds, whose nephew attended the school.

Later years[edit]

The iconic sign at the entrance to Tennessee Military Institute as it looked in 2010. It was changed to read "TMG" while Tennessee Meiji Gakuin operated on the campus. Here, it was temporarily changed back to "TMI" by alumni holding a reunion at the school.
The campus was acquired by Tennessee Meiji Gakuin High School (TMG) and opened as such in 1989. Due to declining enrollment TMG closed in 2007.[5] In 2011, the campus was given as a gift to a group called the Sweet Water Sustainability Institute.[6] The validity of this transaction was later successfully challenged in court, and ownership of the property was transferred to Enota Institute Inc.

The campus has been vacant since 2007, and the buildings have fallen into disrepair. In 2015, the campus was included on the annual "Endangered Heritage" list of the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance as an endangered historic building and/or place.[7] Not surprisingly based on its age, the abandoned campus has drawn the attention of devotees of the supernatural.[8]

In April 2017, Paul Gaffney, formerly of the Harlem Globetrotters, announced plans to acquire the campus and open the Gaffney Athletics Prep Academy. According to Gaffney, it would be the first charter high school to combine an emphasis on athletics with science, technology, engineering, and math, with projected enrollment of 600 students. [9] However, these plans quickly fell through. [10]
The old TMG building back in my highschool days would hold MMA on Friday nights during the off season from football of course, go in and sign up and they would match you up. It was a ton of fun more than likely illegal as all get out but a bunch of fun. They finally stopped it due to the building literally falling apart

Volunteer state is basically a feeder school for summer county kids before they switch to MTSU or another local college. Also has a ton of nurses.

It’s just not going to produce those kind of athletes.

If there was a will to spend the money Vol Sate and other TN community colleges could have competitive JUCO football. Many of the players going to MS, KS and other JUCO systems are out of state kids.

If there was a will to spend the money Vol Sate and other TN community colleges could have competitive JUCO football. Many of the players going to MS, KS and other JUCO systems are out of state kids.

Oh I agree but as someone who lives about 1,000 ft down the road on the opposite side I just know what the school is and what it does and doesn’t want to become.

It wants to become a satellite for MTSU which makes huge sense. I get the feeling within the next decade they will start offering actual undergraduate classes there for MTSU.

Tennessee used to have prep schools where you would go to bring your grades up and take remedial classes if they were not up to snuff when you graduated high school or if you had potential but we’re undersized or needed development.

UT would send players to Tennessee Military Institute in Sweetwater to get unqualified players eligible. Dale jones was one.
I’m not sure why that system when away, but I think it has to do with the economics of running those schools after the state created the public community college system. I think TMI closed in the 80s or 90s.

Turned into a japanese high school called Meiji Gakuin (i guess due to Denso in Maryville and Athens?) in the 90s and mid 2000s. Was a pretty cool place to see. I think it's just run-down now.

Kansas highly limited out of state JUCO players until just recently. Their rosters were almost entirely in state kids.

Actually, I'm a native Georgian with long ties to the Cookeville area, and wouldn't have inherently known JUCO here doesn't do football, and most Tennesseans don't know and probably don't care. Nor, do I, as I never questioned whether or not Tn had JUCO football, so if you don't like it, then shut up and quit responding. You are welcome not to at all. You just took an opportunity to show just how much a smart a** you are, that apparently thought Crossville was a suburb of Harriman, therefore making it their main campus. "Nashville" is a generalized term for the greater metro area. Or does that type of convo not register with you. People often ask where someone is from. "Nashville." Yeah, what part. "Gallatin." It's a suburb that would normally be included in the generalized term "Nashville."
I am from Hendersonville and Gallatin is not a suburb of Nashville....people from Georgia should stay there, it hurts us all

Very expensive. And something else to consider: I did two years at Vol State and it was a great experience. Prepared me for a university workload, made some lifelong friends there, and not to mention that it’s much, much cheaper than a 4 year school for the first two years. Especially now with Tennessee Promise. But community college is seen by most as a transitional time, including by students. The focus really is all academic: most people have nothing to do with “campus life” as the would at a university. This includes athletics. I never went to a ball game of any kind at Vol State, and most people I knew never did either. And if sports like basketball and baseball struggle (with much, much less overhead than football), football would not make the least bit of financial sense.
When were you there? I was there 77-79

Uh....... You said Vol State's main campus was in Nashville. It's not. That's the extent of my argument with you. Not even a satellite campus in Davidson County for Vol State. Gallatin. Sumner County.

I would think Tennesseans would know, by osmosis mabye, that there's not JUCO football in our fine state. I mean, there's 10 main campuses for JUCO's more or less equally spread in every region of the state. I'm amazed that the 2nd post didn't clear up the first one. Instead, here we are, 3 pages later plowing the same old ground.

Think he meant Nashville Commiunity College down around Green Hills on the way to Charlotte Ave.

Just my guess.

I am from Hendersonville and Gallatin is not a suburb of Nashville....people from Georgia should stay there, it hurts us all

Pretty sure all of sumner county is counted towards the metro numbers just as much as Lebanon in Wilson county is.

Rutherford county is added to the larger metro number but not the main one.

But all of sumner even Portland is added to the metro number.

Pretty sure all of sumner county is counted towards the metro numbers just as much as Lebanon in Wilson county is.

Rutherford county is added to the larger metro number but not the main one.

But all of sumner even Portland is added to the metro number.

Well darn. Someone that understands what "metro" means. To be specific, Nashville Metro is comprised of 5-7 counties in total I believe. In case any of the other non-Georgian locals need to know. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: TNfan#2
It was a generalized term using Nashville. I know the geography of Nashville and where the towns are. For us out here it's all the same. Nothing for him to jump in my business about. I stated I knew precisely where Vol State was as my son was doing dual enrollment through them, and he kept on with his lecture while he still couldn't understand Roane. So it is what it is and I don't really care what it sounded like.
Yet those of us from smaller towns don't consider ourselves part of the "metro" area. That's fawking city bullchit. When I went to Vol State hell it was a hike to get to Hendersonville. Hendersonville is definitely the burbs of Nashville like Madison used to be. But I get where he was coming from and I agree with him. Gallatin isn't Nashville, even though they like to claim it. Fawk Nashville and everything about that chit hole cept my son and his girl friend.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Very expensive. And something else to consider: I did two years at Vol State and it was a great experience. Prepared me for a university workload, made some lifelong friends there, and not to mention that it’s much, much cheaper than a 4 year school for the first two years. Especially now with Tennessee Promise. But community college is seen by most as a transitional time, including by students. The focus really is all academic: most people have nothing to do with “campus life” as the would at a university. This includes athletics. I never went to a ball game of any kind at Vol State, and most people I knew never did either. And if sports like basketball and baseball struggle (with much, much less overhead than football), football would not make the least bit of financial sense.
My wife is a Vol State grad. She has done very well with her RHIT degree from there.

Reactions: NEO and 82_VOL_83
Oh I agree but as someone who lives about 1,000 ft down the road on the opposite side I just know what the school is and what it does and doesn’t want to become.

It wants to become a satellite for MTSU which makes huge sense. I get the feeling within the next decade they will start offering actual undergraduate classes there for MTSU.

Living on the Plantation? I‘’m across the cove.

Like you, I am not aware of too many JUCO football programs EAST of the Mississippi River. However, every JUCO in the State of Mississippi has a football program and they are very competitive each and every year - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) in Parkinson, MS won the 2019 JUCO Football Championship and East Mississippi Community College won it a number of times between 2010 nd 2020.

I was wondering why the larger community colleges in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama don't have similar programs? Here in Mississippi JUCO football is a real cash cow for the schools and the games are very well attended. As a bonus, some of the JUCO marching bands down here would blow a many 4-year college bands off the field in competition.

Football is a lot more manpower and resource intensive then a lot of other sports. At Cleveland State down in Cleveland, Tennessee, just north of Chattanooga on I-75 if you've never been in the area, there's really no room for even a small football stadium without bulldozing half the campus or buying up a ton of houses and apartments around the campus. Also it's right next to I-75 which creates a serious logistical barrier. The buildings where basketball is played can be used by both men and women teams, and can be set up to be used by other sports teams like tennis or volleyball. Softball and baseball can use a lot of the same facilities and equipment. Track and Field can share with cross country. Golf can play at any decent country club or private or public golf course.

Metro Nashville is Defined as the Metropolitan Government of Davidson County. Nothing more. Other areas around Nashville such as Franklin, Gallatin, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, etc are not part of Metro Nashville per the definition. The are governed by other municipal forms of government

VN Store

Back