Volunteer Classic

I remember as a kid the Volunteer Classic every year at Stokely Athletic Center. Was just wondering if anyone knows why it was discontinued?
Yes, I went every year and loved it. I could be wrong, but I think it had something to do with the timing of the student athletes and the Christmas season.

I think that the big neutral site tournaments took over.

I wish that it could be reincarnated with TN teams... maybe not an actual tournament but a bunch of matchups involving ETSU, MTSU, Lipscomb, Belmont, UTC, TN, and even some smaller schools as openers in double headers. Carson-Newman, LMU, King, etc. Showcase teams from the Volunteer State in a coordinated promotion.

Or incorporate Kentucky schools and brand it as the Bluegrass-Volunteer Classic. Or North Carolina.

I just think it was impossible to sell tickets to the secondary games so why not just have two regular home games and save money.

I would love to see an in state tournament of all D1 teams from Tennessee rotating the teams and site. For example, you could have Vanderbilt one year and Tennessee the next. Memphis could be in with Vanderbilt.

I think that the big neutral site tournaments took over.

I wish that it could be reincarnated with TN teams... maybe not an actual tournament but a bunch of matchups involving ETSU, MTSU, Lipscomb, Belmont, UTC, TN, and even some smaller schools as openers in double headers. Carson-Newman, LMU, King, etc. Showcase teams from the Volunteer State in a coordinated promotion.

Or incorporate Kentucky schools and brand it as the Bluegrass-Volunteer Classic. Or North Carolina.
Barnes has been a big proponent of showcasing in-state schools, so maybe it could happen.

Barnes has been a big proponent of showcasing in-state schools, so maybe it could happen.

If the money were to be right, it could happen. It would depend on who is playing other commitments or gets a chance to play on national TV. Would be hard to get everyone one the same page.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I remember the 1973 Volunteer Classic championship game between Tennessee and Temple. Tennessee won the game 11-6. Temple went into a stall soon after the game started. Crowd booed the tactic. Then the whole thing became somewhat mesmerizing. More like watching a baseball game where both pitchers are throwing a no hitter.

I remember the 1973 Volunteer Classic championship game between Tennessee and Temple. Tennessee won the game 11-6. Temple went into a stall soon after the game started. Crowd booed the tactic. Then the whole thing became somewhat mesmerizing. More like watching a baseball game where both pitchers are throwing a no hitter.

Ernie Grunfeld's freshman season. Easily one of the more memorable Vol Classic games ever played. Two (2) years later when Clemson and Leonard "Tree" Rollins came to Knoxville to play was another of the more memorable games in the history of the Vol Classic.

UT admin vowed to never play Temple again.

Tennessee is already playing in the Charleston Tournament in the 2019-2020 season and I wonder when they would play in the Jim Maui Classic again.

VN Store

Back