Volunteer Cavalry Flag -- Input Request

Which Flag Do You Prefer

• Draft A Solid Background

Votes: 84 65.6%
  • Draft B Checkered Background

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters

CAPTAIN--VOL CAVALRY

I have the final two drafts for the Vol Cavalry Flag in hand now, and would like some input or feedback on them.

For those of you that haven't seen nor cared about the New Volunteer Cavalry Formation here is the original thread explaining what I am up to. New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

Anyway, here are the final drafts. Thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism are most welcome.

Draft A--

Web capture_2-8-2022_101542_.jpeg

Draft B

Web capture_2-8-2022_101516_.jpeg

Thanks in advance and God Bless Josh Heupel and GBO

Capt

Since you asked, the dog on a horse thing seems weird. I get why, but I think it would be better if you stuck with one theme. And since the cavalry part seems important, maybe a volunteer on horseback?

As for the background, I like them both. But the silhouette stands-out better with the solid background, IMO.

I agree with others that A is less busy and clear, and maybe Crockett on the horse instead of Smokey? Also I'm sure the horse is centered but it feels like maybe bumping it to the right just a smidge, maybe because your triangle composition is a little left heavy or more full is throwing me off?

( I'm weird in a since that Smokey is crammed in as a mascot with school tradition when we already have one, and is less of a preference for me specifically ) EDIT: Didn't mention it originally but looks good though.

When I think of Cavalry, I always think of the Old West post Civil war guys that wore Stetsons. Maybe an orange Stetson with uniform of shades of orange/white/ gray and carrying a long rifle instead of a saber.

Nice drafts though.
126981-H-PGW03-748.jpg

Notice the cavalry guy on the horse in the above image holds the flag and is not on the flags. The official logo is the Power T. Create Option C by replacing the horse/soldier/Smokey on Option A with the Power T.

Checkerboard does not work as a background.

When I think of Cavalry, I always think of the Old West post Civil war guys that wore Stetsons. Maybe an orange Stetson with uniform of shades of orange/white/ gray and carrying a long rifle instead of a saber.

Nice drafts though.
View attachment 477192
While I appreciate the imagery of the old frontier cavalry uniform as much as anyone, that's not the time period in which the Tennessee Volunteer was born or became famous.

Cavalry has been around for thousands of years. American cavalry for hundreds of years. That Civil War look may be iconic, made famous by Hollywood from John Wayne to Apocalypse Now, but it's not the era for us. We ought to hew to the period when the Volunteers of Tennessee became the Volunteers of Tennessee, know what I mean?

Go Vols!

Reactions: malinoisvol
No offense, but I agree with the others. Smokey on the horse is weird. Then again, I don't get the cavalry connection. And I was armored cavalry.

The vol cavalry connection is kind of a take-off on the vol navy. Since I don't own a yacht nor live along the river the vol navy is out for me. However I do own an RV and as fate would have it I now live on a paved road, so I'm doing the best I can with what I got. For what it's worth I always envied you tank guys. If you don't have an RV, no worries. We always need forward lookouts and spotters. Open invite.

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. Really, I am stoked from all the input. From what I am hearing we like the solid background, hate the Anubis-esque dog, like the checkerboard border vs the grey stripe, and just might like davy crocket on the horse.

Give me a couple days to get my guy to fix some stuff and I'll be back with another proof.

You guys rock.

Capt

I have the final two drafts for the Vol Cavalry Flag in hand now, and would like some input or feedback on them.

For those of you that haven't seen nor cared about the New Volunteer Cavalry Formation here is the original thread explaining what I am up to. New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

Anyway, here are the final drafts. Thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism are most welcome.

Draft A--

View attachment 477143

Draft B

View attachment 477144

Capt
Points for writing cavalry and not "calvary" as I hear many say. Btw, there's a dog on the back of your horse.

Need to work with something like this...IMO....
NfV33RQ.png

Since you asked, the dog on a horse thing seems weird. I get why, but I think it would be better if you stuck with one theme. And since the cavalry part seems important, maybe a volunteer on horseback?

As for the background, I like them both. But the silhouette stands-out better with the solid background, IMO.

Being nice as was ask for in thread. However, A DOG!! REALLY!!. I can see many people on the other side of Voldom saying "yeah, play like one too!!"

Draft A--

View attachment 477143

Draft B

View attachment 477144

Capt
Recommend Smokey walking along like good dogs do. Football player (in uniform) standing in stirrups looking afar. Maybe he is the only thing in color.

VN Store

Back