Vols vs Florida Atlantic? Thoughts?

We struggle when we go ice cold on offense. We beat bama a couple weeks back without ZZZ. FAU doesn’t have guards with the speed and overall talent of Quinnerly, Sears, Brooks, and Miller. Can we lose this game - sure, but it won’t be because FAU is too talented for us. JMO
Our last 2 losses we scored 70+, we lost because we couldn’t stop Auburn or Missouri, not because the offense was cold.

And yet you want to point out FAU lost to Ole Miss, which was 2nd game of the season, hmmm…they also just beat Memphis who many had pegged to beat Purdue?
I wasn’t pushing the Ole Miss loss - only showed their 3 losses were to very average teams and I gave them full credit for beating Memphis State

This junk right here is going to hurt us. Probably won't be able to play our game because of this BS. If you watch that Duke game, you saw a lot of Duke flopping and drama. Yes, there was some blood in that one play, but refs checked with a microscope whether anything was flagrant the whole game.

I am so tired of the media doing this. Ask Dickie V what a dirty coach Barnes is.

Our football team goes "too fast" let's change the rules or flop on the ground and pretend to be hurt.

The BaseVOLS aren't respectful because they celebrate instead of walk around like they got corncobs up their rears.

Last edited:
This is the game for Barnes to silent his critics, myself to an extent included. We lost this kind of game with arguably our best roster of all time four years ago. FAU is a good team; I don't think we played a mid major of their quality this season, but I could be mistaken. I think we win this one as long as we do not relent. If we don't play for real for 40 minutes, FAU can definitely beat us. I think we got this, though.

This is the game for Barnes to silent his critics, myself to an extent included. We lost this kind of game with arguably our best roster of all time four years ago. FAU is a good team; I don't think we played a mid major of their quality this season, but I could be mistaken. I think we win this one as long as we do not relent. If we don't play for real for 40 minutes, FAU can definitely beat us. I think we got this, though.
It is a golden opp for Barnes and the program. The alternative is ugly. Lose, and the same old narrative will be magnified.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Don’t recall any top 25 mid major teams? So you think this is the best mid major team in recent history?

Personally, I think their resume is built against a weak schedule and their ranking is a mirage. They may beat the doors off us and prove me a fool but I’ll have to see it to believe it. Yesterday I didn’t see one player for FAU that I thought was better than the comparable player on our roster.
Well just this year Gonzaga, St. Mary’s & San Diego State along with FAU…3 of those are in the S16. So no I’m not saying they are the best, but I also am not going to just dismiss them either when analytics and Vegas clearly all suggest this is a pretty tough matchup.

Well just this year Gonzaga, St. Mary’s & San Diego State along with FAU…3 of those are in the S16. So no I’m not saying they are the best, but I also am not going to just dismiss them either when analytics and Vegas clearly all suggest this is a pretty tough matchup.
I respect your knowledge of the game and maybe I’m completely out to lunch on this but from watching them this past weekend they have nobody on their team that I think would be in our rotation. For them to win we have to be terrible shooting the ball which we have done a few times this season. While no game in the sweet 16 is a lock, I think we have the most favorable opponent left in the tournament. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

They have the 31st best scoring offense. Taking care of the ball and rebounding will be huge. Davis will be hounding whoever is handling the ball for Tennessee. They are long and athletic (as showcased by that stupid dunk dude tried to end the game)

With that being said, It will probably be a one or two possession game that Tennessee “should” win. And I use “should” loosely.

Reactions: Tenacjim
limit turnovers, and pound the rock inside to olivia and Uros. Stifle them with a ton of defense and hold them to under 60 and we win going away. Duke has a much better offense and more talent across the board and we beat them easily. This game should be no different if the above things are accomplished IMO.

Reactions: walkenvol
Fair enough on Kenpom ranking but the point is that their ranking would plummet if they played in a tough conference with their current roster. As for LSU, FAU doesn’t have one player half as good as KJ Williams who could put up 30 on them.
Their record would likely be worse but that doesn’t mean their “ranking” necessarily would. It would take into account their quality of opponents (which I thought was the argument you were trying to make). They are in line with teams who have lost 12 or so games from major conferences. While, you equate them to the worst team in the SEC (one great player aside), I think they would easily handle LSU on a neutral court.
I also agree our roster is better at every position. Unfortunately, when does our whole team play up to their capabilities in one game? If they did, we would probably only have 3 losses. I fully expect UT to win by 10-15 points. But it wouldn’t surprise me to have a late game meltdown and lose by 1-2. This is not a 13-14th team in the SEC despite the conference they play in.

I’m expecting a dog fight. Key to winning will be rebounds, turnovers, and perimeter D. Perform above average in all those and we will win.

This isn't an easy matchup, especially if they knock down 3s, but I get the vibe we will win this one.

I just hope it is not one of those eye rolling nights where the bank is open, balls clang off the rim and go up 4 feet then fall back through, late in the clock heaves from the logo and other answered prayers are routine. If they out execute us and hit GOOD three's then so be it. I am not sure how we will gameplan whether to crash the boards for second chance points to take advantage of our strength or get back in transition. Don't have a clue if their guys, position by position are faster, slower or even in the speed department. They had to work pretty hard against the SHORTER quicker FDU guys in transition till very late.

Reactions: SuzyVol
Depends on how they call the game. All the butthurt coming from Espn about bouncing one of their cash cow teams.. I expect them to call it tight and we'll have to hit our shots this game. I suspect they'll try to take the defense out of it..

Last edited:
Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
FAU will be flopping more than a caught fish on a pier during the game.

Question will be will the refs call these phantom calls on us (likely) or realize they are flops and call them for what they are (unlikely).

And I will bet that we won’t get a single charge call on defense.

Media controls sports now. No longer counts what is right, as long as it fits the media’s narrative.

ON is going to have to play like he did against Duke. Teams focus on Vescovi quite a bit, and James is inconsistent at best. Hoping FA has an off night shooting the 3.

Their record would likely be worse but that doesn’t mean their “ranking” necessarily would. It would take into account their quality of opponents (which I thought was the argument you were trying to make). They are in line with teams who have lost 12 or so games from major conferences. While, you equate them to the worst team in the SEC (one great player aside), I think they would easily handle LSU on a neutral court.
I also agree our roster is better at every position. Unfortunately, when does our whole team play up to their capabilities in one game? If they did, we would probably only have 3 losses. I fully expect UT to win by 10-15 points. But it wouldn’t surprise me to have a late game meltdown and lose by 1-2. This is not a 13-14th team in the SEC despite the conference they play in.
Obviously no way to support our opinions, but yes I think this team would be in the bottom third of the SEC.

ON is going to have to play like he did against Duke. Teams focus on Vescovi quite a bit, and James is inconsistent at best. Hoping FA has an off night shooting the 3.
ON / JJJ / Key / Phillips need to combine for 40+. Don’t have to get 20+ from any one individual. IMO

I think they’re somewhere in the middle of the teams we’ve played based on watching them this weekend. I may be completely in left field, but I don’t give the same weight to Kenpom rankings for a team that hasn’t played a decent schedule.

Which of their players would make our rotation? None jumped out to me
Well Johnell Davis is the only player in NCAAT history to every post a 25/10/5/5 stat line, if that doesn’t jump out to you then not sure anything would.

Not particularly well tonight. Would need to shoot a much higher percentage against us to win and they will be shooting over way taller defenders than FDU.

We need to make it a half court game by being smart with the ball on offense. We have a tremendous rebounding advantage. Look to the post every possession and only shoot 3’s on inside out passes. We’re the more talented and experienced team and will have to shoot very poorly to lose this game IMO. Every team left is good, but from what I’ve seen we’re playing 1 of the weaker teams left. Obviously no guarantees but I for one sure like our chances! Go VOLS!

That's the thing: we are a fairly tall team, and their team is mostly short, as I understand it. Yes, they may be a little quicker, but most every shot will be with a hand in their face. Except for their post players, they should be at a major disadvantage size-wise, and I think that will be the difference in the end. Just make the easy shots, and we will be fine.

All I know is that we're squaring up for our second Elite Eight.

Also probably going to be against Michigan State (again).

ESPN matchup predictor has us at 84.5 percent to win. Last analysis I saw, it was correct in picking the winner 84.9 percent of the time in games that fell in the 80-90 percent range.

Reactions: Coach_Z
I respect your knowledge of the game and maybe I’m completely out to lunch on this but from watching them this past weekend they have nobody on their team that I think would be in our rotation. For them to win we have to be terrible shooting the ball which we have done a few times this season. While no game in the sweet 16 is a lock, I think we have the most favorable opponent left in the tournament. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP
There’s a reason Vegas had this line around 5, those buildings aren’t big and shiny for no reason.

Reactions: Tenacjim

VN Store

Back