Vols vs Colorado game highlights

I didn’t record it live but the replay is on at 2am so I technically could post it tomorrow sometime if people are interested.
Not to be presumptuous or dictate but seems like a lot of people didn't understand how to watch it online, so might be a good one to post

Reactions: CPA and njvols
Good win, based on limited prep and some rust, for sure. You can easily see the depth and talent we've got...just think we got out of sync trying to work in rotations. 2 Frosh looked really good, but had probably too many turnovers. Johnson is tenacious on D. Thought ball movement was good, but body movement wasn't. Need more inside out action to Pons/Fulk, but that will come, and open up for more open jumpers from Bailey/Vescovi...both of which looked equally impressive at times.

I was at the game last night so didn’t get to read the in game thread until this morning....that was entertaining. A few thoughts:

1. The piped in crowd noise is unbelievably annoying. Essentially sounds like really loud radio static. You could feel the crowd breathe a sigh of relief every time it stopped. They REALLY need to just drop that.

2. That’s the most talent I think I have ever seen Tennessee put on the floor. There’s still a ton of work to do, but the pieces are there. Keon and Springer both look to have first round potential, we’ll see how the season shakes out. Keon plays veteran defense in his first college game.

3. One of our major issues the last couple of years has been guards getting loose and running up the score on us. With the depth we have on the perimeter this year, it’s going to take a special player to make that happen. Wright had been averaging over 20 per game and was held to 8 in 40 mins. If he’d shot 100% from the field and strip he would have only had 22. That’s lock down defense.

4. Santi seems to be more of a shooting guard than point. His set shot is beautiful. If he’s going to be at the point, he’s going to have to get more aggressive to the hoop and create something. I’d rather see us run some plays designed to get him open.

5. Bailey Jr and Anosike were steals. Bailey reminds me a ton of the way Turner played, especially early in his careeer. Solid minutes with few mistakes. If his defense improves he’s going to get minutes, even on a loaded team. Anosike had a rough night shooting. Hopefully it was just an off night.

6. I’m not all that concerned about our offense against the zone. We have a team with no experience with each other struggling against a team of Sr and Jr playing a defense we’ll rarely see. Barnes said they had essentially not practiced against the zone....it showed. As this team learns their roles, zone probably won’t be an issue. I feel like Barnes just game planned this shift and relied on what had been a very solid defensive effort by his guys to pull off the win. Don’t get fancy against a defense you know you’re guys aren’t experienced with, just keep it simple and leave with the W. The talent to back door a 2-3 all day is there on this team, but that definitely takes practice and experience with your teammates.

7. Tough night for Fulk and Pons. Hopefully it’s just rust. We definitely need better play there. At one point I though ON was really coming around..... I don’t see it now. Uros also seems like a bust. Anosike will help, but we are going to need work down low. There are a lot of top 10 teams that would feast inside against us.

8. Cincy game will be interesting. They have a tough matchup against a good Furman team tonight. Game is on ESPN+ at 5pm eastern. They haven’t shot particularly well so far this year. They rely pretty heavily on guard play, but have a decent inside game. I think it’s a good matchup for us. Based on talent level and our one game, we should be able to handle these guys. Keep the guards in check and we should be good.

9. I think we are going to see a lot of small lineup from Tennessee this year. We don’t have much inside, and we are loaded with talent outside. It’s a bit of a departure for the Barnes era, but you play with what you’ve got, and there is definitely no Grant Williams on this team. There no Jordan Bone either, but we are 5 deep of Turner and the good Bowden. It will be an interesting year, and I’m just happy to see the Orange and White on the hardwood. Go Vols.

I was at the game last night so didn’t get to read the in game thread until this morning....that was entertaining. A few thoughts:

1. The piped in crowd noise is unbelievably annoying. Essentially sounds like really loud radio static. You could feel the crowd breathe a sigh of relief every time it stopped. They REALLY need to just drop that.

2. That’s the most talent I think I have ever seen Tennessee put on the floor. There’s still a ton of work to do, but the pieces are there. Keon and Springer both look to have first round potential, we’ll see how the season shakes out. Keon plays veteran defense in his first college game.

3. One of our major issues the last couple of years has been guards getting loose and running up the score on us. With the depth we have on the perimeter this year, it’s going to take a special player to make that happen. Wright had been averaging over 20 per game and was held to 8 in 40 mins. If he’d shot 100% from the field and strip he would have only had 22. That’s lock down defense.

4. Santi seems to be more of a shooting guard than point. His set shot is beautiful. If he’s going to be at the point, he’s going to have to get more aggressive to the hoop and create something. I’d rather see us run some plays designed to get him open.

5. Bailey Jr and Anosike were steals. Bailey reminds me a ton of the way Turner played, especially early in his careeer. Solid minutes with few mistakes. If his defense improves he’s going to get minutes, even on a loaded team. Anosike had a rough night shooting. Hopefully it was just an off night.

6. I’m not all that concerned about our offense against the zone. We have a team with no experience with each other struggling against a team of Sr and Jr playing a defense we’ll rarely see. Barnes said they had essentially not practiced against the zone....it showed. As this team learns their roles, zone probably won’t be an issue. I feel like Barnes just game planned this shift and relied on what had been a very solid defensive effort by his guys to pull off the win. Don’t get fancy against a defense you know you’re guys aren’t experienced with, just keep it simple and leave with the W. The talent to back door a 2-3 all day is there on this team, but that definitely takes practice and experience with your teammates.

7. Tough night for Fulk and Pons. Hopefully it’s just rust. We definitely need better play there. At one point I though ON was really coming around..... I don’t see it now. Uros also seems like a bust. Anosike will help, but we are going to need work down low. There are a lot of top 10 teams that would feast inside against us.

8. Cincy game will be interesting. They have a tough matchup against a good Furman team tonight. Game is on ESPN+ at 5pm eastern. They haven’t shot particularly well so far this year. They rely pretty heavily on guard play, but have a decent inside game. I think it’s a good matchup for us. Based on talent level and our one game, we should be able to handle these guys. Keep the guards in check and we should be good.

9. I think we are going to see a lot of small lineup from Tennessee this year. We don’t have much inside, and we are loaded with talent outside. It’s a bit of a departure for the Barnes era, but you play with what you’ve got, and there is definitely no Grant Williams on this team. There no Jordan Bone either, but we are 5 deep of Turner and the good Bowden. It will be an interesting year, and I’m just happy to see the Orange and White on the hardwood. Go Vols.
I thought Olivier looked pretty solid defensively in his limited minutes, just looks very tentative with the ball on his hands.

I think we can counter a lot of the big men we play by playing press man to man and getting out and running.

If Fulk and Pons hadnt struggled so bad shooting this game would have been 15 to 20 point margin. Colorado is a good team. But Tennessee struggles made them look better.
For sure...and throw Anosike in there as well. And I believe all three can definitely shoot better than what we witnessed last night. They'll be just fine!

Reactions: Lefteye

VN Store

Back