Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

UTWeek-3-depth-chart.png
Milton at QB again… makes zero sense.

If Milton would loosen up and start throwing the ball over the shoulder a little lighter, then he would find it. Now, it was said that they had been practicing throwing the ball higher up on long throws, but he has to throw it a little lighter softer touch.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
The only thing I have said and will continue say about Milton is that the coach watches these guys daily in practice, and are running Heupel’s offense, and their job is actually on the line based on their performance. Why in the world do you think they would not put the guy in that would give them the best opportunity of success in their system?? 🤔🤔
Yeah coaches have been watching 4 years. Count them. It is real. To add that coaches get fired yearly... just because his job is on the line doesn't mean they are not stubborn or biased.

No that is not answering the question. I did not ask you who you support. That was not the question! I asked what you or anyone sees in Milton to defend him. If you can't say what you see in Milton then exit the conversation.
I didn’t ever say I saw anything in Milton and have no need to defend him. The only defense he needs is that he doesn’t decide who plays and sits. That’s the coach. Well, hopefully he’ll get the defense, and the protection he needs from the offensive line.

When all of us are old and barely able to use whatever version of a Volnation app exists at that time, we will still be talking that weird JG addiction that Pruitt had. I fear that we might be adding a second chapter to that story as we speak.

Reactions: gnm53108 and NEO
And a coach isn’t going to screw around playing favorites or doing anything other than playing who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Given Heupel’s resume I’d trust him infinitely more to make that evaluation than a random poster on a message board.
Thats what bothers me.
If Heupel DOES think Milton gives us the best chance to win.... thats scary.
Because it isn't true.

Reactions: Fightmaker
I'm so devastated to see Milton is QB1. Hooker played much better than him against Pitt. Both have a lot of experience. Similar skill set. Milton wasn't great against Bowling Green. Milton has also failed at Michigan for the exact same reason as we can all blatantly see now. It makes zero sense. No I'm not a coach. But like the rest of you, I watched Pruitt do the same thing for the past few seasons with JG. Milton is not a good passer. Full stop!

Reactions: gnm53108
Before the season started, I listened to a sports writer from Michigan talking with Jimmy Hyams on the radio....She said Milton will look good in practice, but will not perform in the games....He will regularly overthrow your speediest receivers...She said he is not a dual threat QB, but a pocket QB that has some moves....She said he is not a good runner, will shy away from contact...

Jimmy said he hoped she was not correct...She said she knows she is correct...He is who he has always been, looks good but will not perform up to expectations when the lights are bright...

This was said a few days before the first game...It was exactly what we have seen so far. Coach H is going to lose the fan base with this guy.
Sounds like she knows what she’s looking at. I wonder if by “she” you mean that female commentator? If so, she sounds smart via text but I can’t stand listening to her. Sounds like Reba

Can we just support the QB and coach for like half a season before we throw them under the burning mattress at VN.com?

Not when we are clearly playing the worse of our two best options.

We have seen this before too many times.

This is Dobbs 2.0 scenario where Butch refused to play him until he had no other choice and Pruitt kept sticking with JG.

This is honestly scary and means the coach cannot scheme without having the deep ball.

I had high hopes and this is killing them.

We will go down by 17 to FL he will get pulled and Hooker will fight back but still lose and we will all have a moral victory.

Us long term fans have already seen this movie.

I will engage in discussion but note you also don't answer the only question I asked. What do you see in Milton?

There are so many backing Milton either for Milton's sake or for coaches sake. If backing for the coach, just shut up already. There is nowhere to go with that argument or discussion. It goes in circles for days as we have seeing. If backing before Milton, again tell me why and what you see. Existing arguments are all about give it time and practice and the discussion don't focus on Milton and what is he doing in the game. It is a pivot away from the question. Again what does everyone see in Milton to justify him being the guy?

If you're asking does Milton have warts, then yes he does. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Hooker a shot at this point, but I get what others see in Milton. He easily has the best arm, best size, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is actually faster than Hooker. Not quicker, but it wouldn't shock me to see Milton top Hooker in a 40. He also got here later and had had less time than the other QBs with Heupel.

Now for why I'm not calling for Milton to be benched is that he has only gotten 6 quarters to play here. Apparently you think 6 quarters here is enough to make judgement, but I disagree. Just last year, some guy named Tom Brady switched teams, and through 2 games he had 3 TDs and 3 picks and a sub 80 QBR. So if the GOAT needs more than 2 games to adjust to a new offense, why are you or anybody holding Milton to an unrealistic and higher standard? If 6 quarters is enough, youre going to be a revolving door of players because you're going to constantly be benching and replacing guys after one bad game.

If you're asking does Milton have warts, then yes he does. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Hooker a shot at this point, but I get what others see in Milton. He easily has the best arm, best size, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is actually faster than Hooker. Not quicker, but it wouldn't shock me to see Milton top Hooker in a 40. He also got here later and had had less time than the other QBs with Heupel.

Now for why I'm not calling for Milton to be benched is that he has only gotten 6 quarters to play here. Apparently you think 6 quarters here is enough to make judgement, but I disagree. Just last year, some guy named Tom Brady switched teams, and through 2 games he had 3 TDs and 3 picks and a sub 80 QBR. So if the GOAT needs more than 2 games to adjust to a new offense, why are you or anybody holding Milton to an unrealistic and higher standard? If 6 quarters is enough, youre going to be a revolving door of players because you're going to constantly be benching and replacing guys after one bad game.
This Milton guy can do it all, or so he says.

Reactions: Vol2B

Wait, I thought we already had Tom Brady for our third string QB?

This is Dobbs 2.0 scenario where Butch refused to play him until he had no other choice and Pruitt kept sticking with JG.

This is honestly scary and means the coach cannot scheme without having the deep ball.

We will go down by 17 to FL he will get pulled and Hooker will fight back but still lose and we will all have a moral victory.

You sound a little crazy. Heupel has coached two games. Milton has played 1.5. hooker has played half.

Last edited:

What did you say about JG after 6 quarters?

Milton was bad at Michigan. He's bad here.

He starts on Saturday, then it tells me a lot about JH

To a certain extent most coaches are a risk but some are very well established commodities and to my knowledge we never even approached them. Money talks.

Heup’s offense isn’t the problem I have. With an decent QB it can be really good. The problem I have with Heup is with his infatuation with Milton. So far it just reeks of Pruitt and JG. If he ever fixes Milton’s arm and his twinkle toe running, he’ll look like a genius. If he doesn’t fix Milton but continues to trot Milton out there every game, he’s no better than cornbread. Could you fathom Spurrier trotting Milton out there game after game in his hay day? I can’t, Spurrier would’ve benched Milton long before he got injured.
You realize Spurrier made multiple questionable QB decisions during his coaching days right?

What did you say about JG after 6 quarters?

Milton was bad at Michigan. He's bad here.

He starts on Saturday, then it tells me a lot about JH

I said the same thing for JG after 6 quarters in a new offense. "Its only been 6 quarters". That doesn't mean it will for sure get better, but thats still way too soon to pull the plug.

Jeremy Banks hasn't been great, are you ready to bench him? Our offensive line has struggled, who are you ready to put in after 2 games now? I must have missed the threads on those players and your takes, so if you're ready to make a move, then be consistent and let me know who else needs to be benched as well.

Reactions: goldvol

You say long term fans have seen this but Butch and Pruitt were both screwing things up in the past 5 years so the length of fandom is irrelevant.

I agree Hooker seems to be the better thrower and running seems about equal between the 2. What we don’t know about is ball security though. Perhaps Hooker turns it over way more than Milton in practice. I have no doubt that if it were as clear as you say then CJH would be playing Hooker. Why wouldn’t he? I get we’ve been burned previously but if any of our head coaches can evaluate QBs, it’s CJH.

Reactions: goldvol

VN Store

Back