VOLS Recruiting 101

I don't think UT will be that thin but I do think Berry is special. He showed up everywhere in the AA game and I didn't see them complete a pass to his man even though the West otherwise ripped that secondary.

They seemed to have thrown away from him.

58 is right they will be thin in the secondary next year, if they had not lost Inky it would be different.

Yup, had we not lost Inky, we would have Fellows, Inky, DMo, and Hefney backed up by Kemp, Wardlow, Gaines, and Johnson. Then throw in the freshmen whereever they can slide in. Berry would be above all of those backups, IMO. I think he may start, might not early, but by UF he should be.

Yes, but he is extremely soft and is coming off of a torn pectoral to boot.

Soft as in not tough or soft as in not ready to play due to the injury?

Wasn't he award winning as a Freshman?

BTW, Berry didn't look soft. I loved the way he came up on the run game.

Fellows isn't physical at all. He doesn't tackle well and is a liability in run support. He did good his freshmen year but regressed.

Berry isn't soft at all. He surfaced on almost any play to the outside and alot inside.

To be honest the only players I see playing early are Cooper, O'Neal and Vinson.

Name the last DT that started or played significatly at DT? How about DB? Even Morely didn't play much as a Freshman

Are you kidding? Eric Berry will not only "play" he will start rather early. Book it. And, how about that list? Throws your theory off a little bit.

How many DT's are on that list?

DB's only in an extreme time of need. Will Berry start at Cal NO, will he start after the Florida game, maybe. Remember he may have looked good in Texas he hasn't played CB but is rated #1 because he has the ability to play it, most still say he is a better Safety thatn a CB

I was speaking in terms of Eric Berry and just in general. I never said a DT would start next season. However, if he got Marvin Austin I think he would be the exception. I dont know about any kind of starting assignment, but he would be in the DT rotation as a freshman. I would rather Eric Berry play safety and move Morley to CB where he does not have to think as much. But, Berry wants to play CB and they are going to let him. The fact that he played that well in Texas with such a limited amount of time at CB shows just how quickly he can pick it up once he gets to UT. It helps his pitch to play early.

Here is our DT rotation not counting freshmen for next year:

JT Mapu
Demont Bolden
Walter Fisher
Dan Williams(will move to OG if we sign 4 DT)
Victor Thomas/Chase Nelson/Wes Brown

I highly doubt that Austin would not break into the rotation. Hell, Langley, Melancon, and Brimfield may be able to get snaps as well.

JT Mapu
Demont Bolden
Walter Fisher

I highly doubt that Austin would not break into the rotation. Hell, Langley, Melancon, and Brimfield may be able to get snaps as well.

man that is sad.

I think the top 3 could be solid, especially if Bolden finally reaches potential and Mapu regains original form. The fact is that Williams will end up at OL and the bottom 3 have a ways to go because of size(at least 1, if not 2 will be DE).

JT Mapu
Demont Bolden
Walter Fisher

Wes Brown is a DE.

What is Mapu's weight like? I know he was recruited as a DE right, and was around 270...has he bulked up any?

Wes Brown is a DE.

So is Chase Nelson and Victor Thomas. That is why they are bracketed like they are. It is very likely that one of those players will be moved to DL. Not sure who yet, that is why he included all of them.

What is Mapu's weight like? I know he was recruited as a DE right, and was around 270...has he bulked up any?

Mapu is well over 300. He was a little overweight this season due to his mission. He played DT his freshman season, I believe.

VN Store

Back