Vols ranked #20 by D1Baseball this week

So there are teams with 3 and 4 losses ahead of UT in the ranking? That doesnt make a ton of sense to me

I don't get the baseball rankings. Michigan is still up in the polls. Dropped 3 of 4 to a UConn team with no real quality wins yet this early in season. And they are not the only team getting love with multiple losses early in the season when the easier games are on schedule. And UT doesn't appear to be the only team held back in the rankings for doing their job in this part of the schedule.

I don't get the baseball rankings. Michigan is still up in the polls. Dropped 3 of 4 to a UConn team with no real quality wins yet this early in season. And they are not the only team getting love with multiple losses early in the season when the easier games are on schedule. And UT doesn't appear to be the only team held back in the rankings for doing their job in this part of the schedule.

Michigan is getting a lot of credit for winning a somewhat impromptu trip to ASU in the midst of a tournament in Scottsdale with wins against Vandy and Cal Poly. I think that the losing record against a weak UConn team should be more of a black mark, but them's the breaks I suppose.

Big 12 teams had some big wins against SEC this wknd. This will help us even more if T Tech treats B12 like it usually does. RPI booster

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Speaking of RPI, I Just saw the Waren Nolan RPI with us at 45, which is not terrible. What is dragging us down is our Strength of Schedule which is #205. Pretty bad and to me a bit surprising.

BTW, Perfect Game has us at #17 this week.

Last edited:
Speaking of RPI, I Just saw the Nolan Ryan RPI with us at 45, which is not terrible. What is dragging us down is our Strength of Schedule which is #205. Pretty bad and to me a bit surprising.

BTW, Perfect Game has us at #17 this week.

Western Illinois and Northern Kentucky are still winless, Asheville is 2-9, and Stanford is 3-8. Surely, Stanford will start playing better.

So there are teams with 3 and 4 losses ahead of UT in the ranking? That doesnt make a ton of sense to me

I definitely understand the comparative angst. And the sheer number of losses begs a legitimate question, but the good news (IMO) is that college baseball is one of the last true meritocracies in college sports, maybe all of sports. When was the last time a Fresno St. equivalent won a natl title in the major sports? Obviously there is plenty and valid consternation around who gets to host regionals etc...but I defy anyone to give an example of a team (in the modern era, defined as current day back to 1990), that won it all in Omaha that didn’t deserve/earn it competitively. In other words, no one ever says “x didn’t deserve that national title.”

We’ll keep grinding it out, earn our seed, and hopefully make some tournament noise (conference and beyond) when the time comes.

Who loves baseball?!?

Last edited:
The Diamond Vols are hotter 'n a pepper sprout, 13-0, including beating the gigabytes out of #1 TTech and slobberknocking #25 Stanford. In this baker's dozen of games, the Vols have scored 153 runs, while yielding only 22. GEE BEE OH!

VN Store

Back