Vols Practice Thread Wednesday

Fingers

With Riley Locklear (head) extremely limited in practice today, true freshman Chris Akporoghene was getting some work at RG with the 1s today. Ryan Johnson was also working with the 1s at center.
ubben

Practice observation: Saw true freshman Chris Akporoghene getting some work at first-team right guard alongside Darnell Wright (RT) and Wanya Morris (LT).
g.henley

Potentially an interesting development on the offensive line, but something might be up with Brandon Kennedy. Didn't see him take a rep in the very limited part of drills I saw and he has a sleeve on his left leg much like the one Aubrey Solomon has on. The first group up in five-man drills went from left to right Wanya, Trey, Ryan Johnson, Chris Akporoghene and Darnell Wright.

Yes, that is three freshmen on the apparent first-team offensive line.

Would put Warren Burrell (ankle) and Aubrey Solomon (knee, shoulder) as questionable for Saturday based on today, they were out there and doing some stuff but don't look 100 percent.

Also it appears Brandon Johnson is going to redshirt and come back in 2020. He did not play against Georgia and was in a scout-team jersey today. He has a redshirt available and has played in four games this season.
p.brown

With Riley Locklear still battling concussion symptoms, Tennessee worked a new combination on the offensive line — one that featured three freshman and a new center.

Wanya Morris and Trey Smith manned the left side, while Ryan Johnson was the center and freshman Chris Akporoghene and Darnell Wright worked on the right side. Jeremy Pruitt has been very high on Akporoghene since the former Kings Academy guard returned from injury. Brandon Kennedy did take reps with the 2s at center but the staff could’ve been giving him a mini-maintenance day.
Freshman wideout Jerrod Means was back at practice after being absent Tuesday.
I only saw a bit of routes on air today but it was much crisper than yesterday. Jarrett Guarantano was still wild but Brian Maurer, who took a the first reps, was sharp and accurate throwing the football.
Defensively, Quavaris Crouch remained at inside linebacker but today was clearly focused on exotic pass rusher looks. In both nickel and dime rabbits packages, the Vols were working on stunts, overload blitzes and more. Daniel Bituli spent some time with his hand in the ground as a BUCK rusher, something we haven’t seen much of this season. Jordan Allen was doing more than we’ve seen all fall.
In the secondary, Warren Burrell (ankle) was going through all the normal drills but Bryce Thompson and Kenneth George remained as the first two cornerbacks.
j.simonton

Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney spent one period with the tight ends, and they were actually running pass routes and catching passes rather than working on run-blocking.
Tennessee's front seven spent plenty of time working on sub-package pressures with two groups going at once, perhaps an indication the Vols will bring more pressure against Mississippi State quarterbacks Garrett Shrader and Tommy Stevens than they did against Georgia's Jake Fromm.
Freshman Quavaris Crouch again worked with the inside linebackers for the first open period of Wednesday's practice, but was heavily involved in the sub-package work.
p.brown

Last edited:
First. Nice edit: bet you are fat and sassy now huh, McD? Look atcha!

I think Chris Ak is the sleeper in this class. He wasnt as heralded in HS as our 2 freshmen OT, but he is a beast. When wanya had to describe him in his interview he said "strong. " and he includes him with Wright whenever talking about working out, film study, etc. Those 3 can make for the base of the best Oline we have had in a decade.

The negas are gonna bash the coaches in every way possible, because misery loves company, but the bottom line is the guys CJP has brought in are VERY impressive especially this years class. Morris, Wright, Chris Ak , Toot, Crouch, and Gray could all play NFL ball. They have beaten out juniors and seniors as freshmen 18yo kids for starting spots, and caused transfers. I remember being both 18 and 22, and the difference in body and mind were huge. For these kids to come in and take over is very, very impressive.

The hard 25 limit on recruiting is truly going to add another full season to any rebuild, maybe more. We are so short handed right now that we could sign 30 kids easily if not for the new rule. That's spilt milk though..25 it is...and this next 25 will probably determine whether or not CJP keeps his job. If he can sign a 2020 class as talented as 2019...I think we will be fine, and have a decent middle of the pack SEC team in a year or 2.

Last edited:
I think that's actually pretty good news if Brandon Johnson does come back. We'll certainly need it help at WR, and he'll be the second option most likely assuming palmer stays.

Palmer (SR)
Johnson (SR)
Gibbs (RS JR)
Keyton (SO
J Calloway (FR)
J Hyatt (FR)
Tillman (SO)
Montgomery ( SO) (Walk-on that will probably earn scholarship)

We need to keep recruiting...

Its disappointing that Carvin, Jamir Johnson, and Tatum hasnt improved enough where they are being passed up by a third freshman who wasnt even healthy until several weeks ago.

First. Nice edit: bet you are fat and sassy now huh, McD? Look atcha!

I think Chris Ak is the sleeper in this class. He wasnt as heralded in HS as our 2 freshmen OT, but he is a beast. When wanya had to describe him in his interview he said "strong. " and he includes him with Wright whenever talking about working out, film study, etc. Those 3 can make for the base of the best Oline we have had in a decade.
The negas are gonna bash the coaches in every way possible, because misery loves company, but the bottom line is the guys CJP has brought in are VERY impressive especially this years class. Morris, Wright, Chris Ak , Toot, Crouch, and Gray could all play NFL ball. They have beaten out juniors and seniors as freshmen 18yo kids for starting spots, and caused transfers. I remember being both 18 and 22, and the difference in body and mind were huge. For these kids to come in and take over is very, very impressive.

The hard 25 limit on recruiting is truly going to add another full season to any rebuild, maybe more. We are so short handed right now that we could sign 30 kids easily if not for the new rule. That's spilt milk though..25 it is...and this next 25 will probably determine whether or not CJP keeps his job. If he can sign a 2020 class as talented as 2019...I think we will be fine, and have a decent middle of the pack SEC team in a year or 2.
Great point about our needs and the 25 limit. Ubben had a good article a day or so ago where he noted that of an allowable 85 scholarship players, we are down to 76 and 2 of those are out for the season. Include graduation, a few more transfers, and maybe an early departure and we will be looking for all the recruits we can sign.

What's the status on Jhamir Johson and K'Rojhn Calbert??

Thanks. Calbert I think has performed pretty well. A little surprised he wasn't mentioned with the 1's.
VQ said he was dinged up for the UGA game. Might be a bit more serious than that.

Reactions: RollerVol
Please please please!
1 win against anyone not named Chattanooga and it’ll do wonders for this team
Not to mention, somewhere along the way I saw a list of recruits who are visiting this weekend. Too many of them have said, "Neyland being so loud" is an advantage for it not to be true. That's one reason I can't get behind the empty Neyland push. GBO!

**Edit** Pruitt officially names Maurer starter against Miss St

VN Store

Back