Vols Practice Thread Wednesday

Again they keep moving guys around the O-line. No wonder no one knows the responsibilities of their position since they have to learn multiple positions. Expect more of the same Saturday with line players running a couple plays at a position then being subbed out

Here’s how it SHOULD go:

JG gets two series to score touchdowns.

If no touchdowns, bring in Maurer or JT to finish the first half and then reassess at half time.
Wont work , makes too much sense. I think these players dont like him. Remember last year when he was replaced in games with Chryst , there was always a spark. Chryst just couldnt keep it lit.

Here’s how it SHOULD go:

If no touchdowns, bring in Maurer or JT to finish the first half and then reassess at half time.

I agree. I think that’s fair. JG is in year three and can’t read a defense still. Let Maur or JT take some snaps. They probably won’t do any worse than JG will. If we can at least find a QB that knows what cover-2 is, I think that will be worth running with lol

Keep it up men, it's a hot one out there. Shut down the negativity of this game week and come out balls to the walls this Saturday. Prove nothing to no one except your team mates and coaches. Give your All and those of us that are Ride or Die will be there for ya cheering when we can !

Is it me or was the last few throws by JG way off target? One a few yards behind the post and another way off on the out route.....

Good lordy this team needs a spark at QB position.
Could it be possible that some of this team isn't happy with JG as starting QB and they just don't respect him? He never shows any quality leadership ability and always has a terrible demeanor when things aren't going well. As a junior who's been with the program for 3 years and your the signal caller, teammates are going to look up to you for guidance and I haven't yet to see that from him. Feel like this team could use a spark on that side of the ball. Really would like to see someone else gets some snaps and the only way that happens is if JG craps the bed, which unfortunately means the BYU game may have to go not our way before we see it to occur.whats y'all's thoughts on this?

Love to see QB’s rotate some important series this Saturday...

Nothing to lose, imo...

Except a year of eligibility...

IMO this season is a lost cause unless JG can give us above average SEC performances. I'm not high on Shrout, never have been impressed by him. I'm completely cool with giving Maurer the last 4 games of the year, but burning him on a lost cause is gross negligence.

Well WR Murphy's gone, hopefully he will take his "law" with him!

Based on RTI evaluations, Tatum missed most blocks last week. Wright and Morris missed a few in their first action. Trey was rusty.

Locklear didn't miss any and Jamir Johnson did pretty well too.

Looks like WR next season will be: Keyton, Gibbs, Means and a whole lot of true freshmen/JUCO/Grad Transfers. May have to take up to 6 WRs for 2020.

IMO this season is a lost cause unless JG can give us above average SEC performances. I'm not high on Shrout, never have been impressed by him. I'm completely cool with giving Maurer the last 4 games of the year, but burning him on a lost cause is gross negligence.

This is the dumbest excuse I have seen for years now. Scared to have a young QB thrown in the game so he can’t succeed and risk losing a future QB recruit.

That’s playing/coaching scared.

Here’s how it SHOULD go:

Your still gonna be disappointed my friend. I guess it JG fault we only had 90 plus yards of rushing. Or we called three running plays in a row multiple time. He wasn't great but we have struggled with the same thing since Josh Dobbs was here. Offensive line and play calling. Old school football is not gonna make a struggling offensive line look any better. You have to scheme around it. Alla Josh Dobbs creating with his feet alot.

I can't believe there are those wanting to burn Maurer's shirt on what's going to be a crap season regardless. In my best Bobby Denton voice: Maurer can play the last four, but please play no more. A chance to sit back, observe, and learn the playbook for 7 games never hurt a true freshman either.

Reactions: GlennTenn
Your still gonna be disappointed my friend. I guess it JG fault we only had 90 plus yards of rushing. Or we called three running plays in a row multiple time. He wasn't great but we have struggled with the same thing since Josh Dobbs was here. Offensive line and play calling. Old school football is not gonna make a struggling offensive line look any better. You have to scheme around it. Alla Josh Dobbs creating with his feet alot.

JQ scrambled past Trey Smith, who’s risking his life, blocking a defender only to give up short of the first down. The guy is not a leader and is still a diva. He has done nothing in his career that is of significance.

Don’t see JG giving us that, imo. And I think this season is a lost cause regardless, because I don’t see our defense stopping anyone outside of Maryville HS.

But, like you, I’d give JG a few series...play the next man in line...then then go from there...

Reactions: Rockyjr
Well WR Murphy's gone, hopefully he will take his "law" with him!

Based on RTI evaluations, Tatum missed most blocks last week. Wright and Morris missed a few in their first action. Trey was rusty.

Locklear didn't miss any and Jamir Johnson did pretty well too.

Looks like WR next season will be: Keyton, Gibbs, Means and a whole lot of true freshmen/JUCO/Grad Transfers. May have to take up to 6 WRs for 2020.
Locklear run blocking on pulls was mediocre to say the least. Made gray have to make a move in the back field to make a guy miss way to early. Offensive line wasn't very good at run blocking no movement no real push. Pass block was ok but the times the messed up was when it hurt really bad.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Again they keep moving guys around the O-line. No wonder no one knows the responsibilities of their position since they have to learn multiple positions. Expect more of the same Saturday with line players running a couple plays at a position then being subbed out
I would think the players are sick and tired of being moved around non-stop. They say they're trying to find the best combination. Guess what, it doesn't matter and it doesn't exist. There is no best combination. Just let them freakin play football!!!!

I can't believe there are those wanting to burn Maurer's shirt on what's going to be a crap season regardless. In my best Bobby Denton voice: Maurer can play the last four, but please play no more. A chance to sit back, observe, and learn the playbook for 7 games never hurt a true freshman either.
Many good QB is only going to be here for 3 years. The redshirt argument is absolutely dumb when you have a 3rd year starter who can’t will an offense an entire game.

One of the pre season practice threads it was pointed out by the media that there was little to no communication during the practices. Many folks blew it off with " well they only get ** much time to view practice". This team is lacking from leadership. Starting at the QB position. JG is just not very good. At the end of the day you have to have a gamer back there. You have to have someone ready to compete. He is not that guy. Those weak slides instead of taking the hit to move the chains shows me what kind of real toughness the kid has.

Burn it?! He may not get another chance with HB coming in next year...

If Maurer is gives us the best chance to win...to hell with his RS...

Cause there are those of us who have watched JG for 2 years, and want a chance at winning now. If it's gonna be a crap season, shut it down. Put the people out there that gives us the best chance to compete now. Tired of waiting on "next year"

JQ scrambled past Trey Smith, who’s risking his life, blocking a defender only to give up short of the first down. The guy is not a leader and is still a diva. He has done nothing in his career that is of significance.
So because you don't like him he is a diva. I mean I understand your upset but the guy has been killed most of his career from terrible line play. He still stays and gets back up everytime. I can fault him for questioning the blocking of the offensive line he barely had any his whole career.

Getting baylen Buchanan and bituli back will really help this defense. Buchanan can play outside or inside DB, and I think he'd be a big upgrade over Burrell and probably even shamburger. Obviously Bituli is our best defender, and possibly best player, having him out there instead of Ignont or Reid would be helpful.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back