Vols Practice Thread Tuesday

Fingers

Cranking from the PA system on the practice field as media leaves: “Sweet Home Alabama.”
Brian Maurer (concussion) was dressed out and looked like a full participant during the open periods. Pruitt mentioned he took reps on Sunday night.
Jahmir Johnson (knee) and Riley Locklear (head) were dressed out. Locklear looked extremely limited.
ubben

When you step onto Tennessee’s practice field and hear Skynyrd cranked to eleventy billion, you know exactly which week it is.
rucker

Tennessee had a new guard combination working today on the OL at practice. LG: Jahmir Johnson RG: Trey Smith Concussions: Riley Locklear still a spectator. Brian Maurer was working and throwing with the quarterbacks.
e.cain

Starting quarterback Brian Maurer, who suffered a concussion against Mississippi State, took all the first-team reps — both during individual and routes on air. Maurer looked unfazed from his head injury and threw the ball well during route-tree work. Notably, JT Shrout went second, with Jarrett Guarantano, who came on for Maurer in relief Saturday, running third each time.
Riley Locklear was back at practice, but Trey Smith moved over from left guard to right guard. Jahmir Johnson, who has missed the last four games with a knee injury, was the first-team left guard.
Latrell Bumphus was working on the bike, so the first-team group was Matthew Butler, Greg Emerson and Darel Middleton, with Darell Taylor out wide as the edge rusher. The second-team group was Kivon Bennett, Aubrey Solomon, Kurott Garland and John Mincey, who has played one snap the last two weeks.
Kevin Sherrer had his inside linebackers working on scheme stuff. He and senior Daniel Bituli were giving lots of attention to Quavaris Crouch, who looks to start in place of Henry To’oto’o.
With Trevon Flowers out with a broken leg, Theo Jackson and Nigel Warrior were the first-team safeties and Jaylen McCollough was going third in line.
simonton

Maurer looked fine to me. Handed off to the running backs and threw during routes-on-air, looked normal to me other than he was taking his helmet off between reps more than usual. Not sure if there's anything to read into that and obviously we don't know what his involvement is in team periods, but he looked fine to me.
p.brown

Tennessee looks set to get Jahmir Johnson back from a four-game absence as the second-year junior college transfer was going through drills as part of the first group up on the offensive line on Tuesday. Johnson hasn't played since starting at left tackle against the BYU game because he had his knee scoped. He started doing more and more in practice last week, but did not play against Mississippi State.
LaTrell Bumphus is banged up and was riding the stationary bike on the side of Tuesday's practice. The converted tight end has been in the starting trio on the defensive line since the BYU game. He had four solo tackles and a tackle for loss against Mississippi State, but his status for this week looks a little up in the air with him not practicing on Tuesday.
With Trevon Flowers out, freshman Jaylen McCollough is now third in line at safety behind Nigel Warrior and Theo Jackson and ahead of Cheyenne Labruzza.
p.brown

Last edited:
"Latrell Bumphus was working on the bike,"

^ THIS is what I like to hear -- old-school, in the grease and grime, fixing the bike himself (saving Tennessee some $, rather than calling in the expensive bike mechanic) !

Anybody know what was wrong with it ?

"Latrell Bumphus was working on the bike,"

^ THIS is what I like to hear -- old-school, in the grease and grime, fixing the bike himself (saving Tennessee some $, rather than calling in the expensive bike mechanic) !

Anybody know what was wrong with it ?
Jeans got caught in the teeth.

Is Shrout taking second reps significant? I'll hang up and listen.
I think they’re planning for him to see the field. Not SIGNIFICANTLY at the expense of the two QBs ahead of him. But he needs to at least have a chance or being prepared for the long haul.

Could BM be out and it's all for show in the open session? JG is starting and JTS is prepping to be the back up. Saban prepares for BM and gets JG.

Reactions: davethevol

VN Store

Back