Vols practice #4

IIRC, you're referring to Brandon Burlsworth. The same guy that Billy Ratliff Hulk smashed into Stoerner on the famous "stumbled and fumbled" play in 1998.

One of the greatest games I have ever been too.......stadium was rocking. Seems like a great kid....good Christian man, but sure glad he caused that fumble or else we would not have been in the NC game.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
I hope 1 of the QB can get the job done. It was suggested that we "get a SEC caliber QB from the transfer portal " it seems to me the chances of that are slim and none.

Reactions: VAVol85
I feel like Maurer’s ability to release the ball quickly is going to win him the job...At least right now. Long 5 months ahead.

True but if he has a foundation of tecnique built over the last 3 yrs he could be a gem at 6'7 325lbs. If he earns the spot outright imand hi good with it.

Also, he's from a 5A school that is not a football school by any definition. So I bet he came in raw, being in the UT program for 3rd year he may have flown under the radar. The size can't be taught but he may have caught up technique-wise with everyone and be a Diamond in the rough. GBO.

Reactions: 901 Orange
I hope those are "Butches" "Turn Over" trashcans that are being used in "Fingers" last picture. It would be nice to get our money's worth out of something Butch did.

I don't remember Gilliam being any more of a liability than those who've played LT since... including our recently departed 5*.
Well to be fair, he only played one game at LT and he tore his ACL. He came back later in the year with a torn ACL and switched to RT. Still a better option than some options we've had since then.

Arkansas had a walk-on lineman that became all-SEC and was a first round draft pick. I believe he died in a car accident a few weeks before he was to report to NFL camp. There’s a movie about his life on Netflix.
Brandon Burlsworth. Would’ve been protecting Peyton.

The main thing i notice when I watch these videos from Fingers is that they're not any different from previous coaching staffs. I'm not saying that as a negative or a critique of the people there now. Rather, I'm just saying that we all want to see something remarkably different but it's just our wish fulfillment...it's not actually visible in a practice video. We aren't seeing more teaching from the coaches, or brisker movement from players, or quicker QB releases, etc. If we say we are, it's just perception because we so want to believe it. Those other coaches were just as good at running practice drills as the new guys. Where we will see a difference with the new staff vs. the old isn't visible on these videos. It will be about the character of these new men vs. the previous ones, the more intelligent game plans that are put in place, the confidence that the coaches inspire as opposed to chaos and mistrust and paranoia, and in a word, the kind of objectively better leadership from CJH that was utterly lacking in the numbskull brow-beating rage-aholic we had before. So this staff is, I believe, much better. But we aren't seeing anything in a 3 minute video that we couldn't have seen before as players go through drills and throw routes on air.

Unheralded player beats out highly-recruited 4- and 5-stars for a job.

Optimist says: wow, he must be really good, then.

Pessimist says: wow, they must be really bad, then.

MWA says: it doesn't matter, they all suck.

IknoxvolsI says: you guys wanna talk about Florida?

The main thing i notice when I watch these videos from Fingers is that they're not any different from previous coaching staffs. I'm not saying that as a negative or a critique of the people there now. Rather, I'm just saying that we all want to see something remarkably different but it's just our wish fulfillment...it's not actually visible in a practice video. We aren't seeing more teaching from the coaches, or brisker movement from players, or quicker QB releases, etc. If we say we are, it's just perception because we so want to believe it. Those other coaches were just as good at running practice drills as the new guys. Where we will see a difference with the new staff vs. the old isn't visible on these videos. It will be about the character of these new men vs. the previous ones, the more intelligent game plans that are put in place, the confidence that the coaches inspire as opposed to chaos and mistrust and paranoia, and in a word, the kind of objectively better leadership from CJH that was utterly lacking in the numbskull brow-beating rage-aholic we had before. So this staff is, I believe, much better. But we aren't seeing anything in a 3 minute video that we couldn't have seen before as players go through drills and throw routes on air.
Agreed, there's a lot of that on here. Always has been. Through every coaching change.

But there are differences, nonetheless. Heupel talks a lot more about family, tight bonds, teamwork, on and off the field, than Pruitt did. Butch had a little of that, but his was more showy...Heupel's is more relaxed, family-feeling.

There are other differences, but that's the one that has most struck me thus far. But yeah, a lot of what folks say is new on these practice threads was there for the other coaches as well.

Last edited:
yeah I definitely think Heupel has that difference. For sure. You just can't see it in a cone drill or the kind of thing that are on these videos. It's there. But we aren't picking up inklings of it from these promotional videos.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
If he beats out the other 2 then it doesn’t mean that suddenly he’s awesome, it just means the other 2 are worse and that would be a really bad situation
No. It wouldn't mean that. It might but that's a low probability conclusion based on Hooker already having had success and Bailey's talent being widely respected. Your hatred toward the kid just blinds you to the other, more likely, probability.

Maurer has physical ability. He needs to be consistent. He needs to make good reads and decisions. If he does that then he has the physical ability to be a very good QB.

Some of you are absolutely ridiculous. @Remy and @The Original Fade , how pessimistic can the two of you be? If Maurer beats the other 2 out why can’t it mean that Maurer was underrated? Why can’t it mean that Pruitt had no idea what he was doing? Why can’t it mean that Pruitt simply lied? Why can’t it mean that Pruitt was the problem for ALL the qbs? It doesn’t have to mean that Bailey is a bust or the other two are really bad. It just means Maurer was better than you gave him credit for.

yeah, sad story. I remember that kid. He wore the Drew Carey glasses

220px-Brandon_Burlsworth%2C_Arkansas_Razorbacks%2C_official_headshot.jpg

Sad story, did not know Neflix had a movie about him, I'll check it out when time allows.

The name of the movie is Greater

Why is it necessary for Bailey to "get it"? If one of the others beats him out isn't that just as good?
It's not really necessary he is just the guy I want to start. Who ever wins I will be cheering for them and hoping they can get us some big wins.

It's not really necessary he is just the guy I want to start.
Why? I'll confess that I wanted Heath Shuler to start over Colquitt. Heath came from my hometown and went to my church. I knew most of his family so I had very personal reasons to pull for him.

Who ever wins I will be cheering for them and hoping they can get us some big wins.
That's where I am... period. I unfortunately end up defending Maurer often because of the bias many have against him. But my ONLY desire is for UT to have better QB plan than they had at any point with JG.

Also, he's from a 5A school that is not a football school by any definition. So I bet he came in raw, being in the UT program for 3rd year he may have flown under the radar. The size can't be taught but he may have caught up technique-wise with everyone and be a Diamond in the rough. GBO.
Seems to me like he is a guy that has grown through the process, which is exactly what anyone could hope for. He obviously has put in a ton of work. Im rooting for the guy. You need players like him in the program.

Reactions: dovervolz
No. It wouldn't mean that. It might but that's a low probability conclusion based on Hooker already having had success and Bailey's talent being widely respected. Your hatred toward the kid just blinds you to the other, more likely, probability.

Maurer has physical ability. He needs to be consistent. He needs to make good reads and decisions. If he does that then he has the physical ability to be a very good QB.

Interesting, you’re drawing conclusions on Hooker and Bailey based on what you’ve seen and “respected talent” but you can’t draw any conclusions from what you’ve already seen on the field from Maurer?

VN Store

Back