Vols practice 4/22

Watching the practice, it just seems that a lot of time is still being wasted. Why not have 1 QB throw it and the next guy be ready like immediately? Rotate the Receivers with the QBs and work like a machine? That would really test the DBs too. Novel. I'm still seeing less urgency than I'd like.

Watching the practice, it just seems that a lot of time is still being wasted. Why not have 1 QB throw it and the next guy be ready like immediately? Rotate the Receivers with the QBs and work like a machine? That would really test the DBs too. Novel. I'm still seeing less urgency than I'd like.
I think that’s what the old staff called 2 spotting. Not 100% on that but that was always my interpretation. Apparently it takes all people knowing exactly what they are doing at all times and it’s hard to implement.. so maybe for spring they thought they would ease them in?? I dk.. just spit balling

Price said Maurer was the most accurate today...followed by Hooker.
Not during the "2 minute drill". Did you see or read that somewhere else?

During the 2 minute drill with Hubbs he said that he and other reporters compared notes. He thought they were all equal and had a good day while one of the others thought Maurer had thrown it a little better than the others. It wasn't one thing that gave me this opinion of AP. It is several small, similar things over the past 3 weeks. His opinion of the whole group just seems to rise and fall with whether HB had a "good day" or not regardless of what the others did.

I find it interesting that Bailey is having accuracy issues...So many last year were hanging all over his comp %..... without realizing he was completing most passes under 5 yards... now that it seems to be more attacking, he is struggling..
He is elite on short throws. That's not a slight toward him. That's actually a high compliment. The Steve Sax Syndrome is a real thing with some QB's. He also got those throws out quick.... which was a 4 year problem for JG. I don't think HB missed a throw last year or definitely not more than a couple that traveled less than 10 yds from LOS. Those plays were effective in part because he didn't give up on the primary and secondary read too soon.

He was good in the 10-15 yard completion range.

He was no better than Maurer as a Fr in throws over 15 yds and was less willing to attempt those throws. They were a lower % of the total.

All of these guys have strengths and weaknesses. IMO, the only thing that can set HB apart is decision making. He is accurate enough but not by a wide margin over the others... if at all. He isn't a runner. His hill isn't an impossible climb... but it is steeper IMO than the others.

He was no better than Maurer as a Fr in throws over 15 yds and was less willing to attempt those throws. They were a lower % of the total.

I think the lack of long throws is due most in part from lack of practice with receivers. The longer routes are more about trusting the reciever will be where you are placing the ball.

I think the lack of long throws is due most in part from lack of practice with receivers. The longer routes are more about trusting the reciever will be where you are placing the ball.
That could be part of it. But he does not have elite arm strength. Just based on what we've seen from practice and play Maurer appears to have significantly more arm strength and confidence in his ability to get the ball deep.

But throwing the ball over 15 yds isn't necessarily go routes or deep posts. Seams, skinny posts, drags, comebacks, circle routes, and even out routes can go 15 yds.

If you are right then he would be pulling ahead. I don't think we "know" for sure where these guys stand but no one is rumoring or reporting that HB is pulling ahead or throwing deep better than the others.

That could be part of it. But he does not have elite arm strength. Just based on what we've seen from practice and play Maurer appears to have significantly more arm strength and confidence in his ability to get the ball deep.

But throwing the ball over 15 yds isn't necessarily go routes or deep posts. Seams, skinny posts, drags, comebacks, circle routes, and even out routes can go 15 yds.

If you are right then he would be pulling ahead. I don't think we "know" for sure where these guys stand but no one is rumoring or reporting that HB is pulling ahead or throwing deep better than the others.
I don't think anyone is ahead of anyone at this point. I watched a lot of his HS games and he has plenty of arm strength.

I don't think anyone is ahead of anyone at this point. I watched a lot of his HS games and he has plenty of arm strength.
We'll just have to disagree then. Based on the tidbits we get and looking for consistencies within them Hooker would be the starter if BGSU were tomorrow. Maurer would likely be second. This is my opinion... but I've done pretty well in the past reading the "tea leaves" on stuff like this.

When A LOT of people here thought JG was going to start over Dormady... I told them he wouldn't. Just based on what was being said by players, coaches, and others even though Jones kept talking "competition" it was apparent that Dormady had won the job (much to the chagrin of Jones). Ultimately the "competition" was continued until Jones got what he wanted which was JG as the starter. I'm not making any judgment about the decisions or either player. Neither turned out to be very good. But if you "listen" there are hints. When the hints start to line up... you get a sense of the direction things are going.

Of course this all falls apart if Heupel is just great at information control and has everyone guessing in the wrong direction... ;);)

We'll just have to disagree then. Based on the tidbits we get and looking for consistencies within them Hooker would be the starter if BGSU were tomorrow. Maurer would likely be second. This is my opinion... but I've done pretty well in the past reading the "tea leaves" on stuff like this.

When A LOT of people here thought JG was going to start over Dormady... I told them he wouldn't. Just based on what was being said by players, coaches, and others even though Jones kept talking "competition" it was apparent that Dormady had won the job (much to the chagrin of Jones). Ultimately the "competition" was continued until Jones got what he wanted which was JG as the starter. I'm not making any judgment about the decisions or either player. Neither turned out to be very good. But if you "listen" there are hints. When the hints start to line up... you get a sense of the direction things are going.

Of course this all falls apart if Heupel is just great at information control and has everyone guessing in the wrong direction... ;);)
I don't think the competition has truly started to heat up. This will be one of the most interesting fall camps I've ever seen for the Vols and if there is one thing I trust CJH on its QBs

I don't think the competition has truly started to heat up. This will be one of the most interesting fall camps I've ever seen for the Vols and if there is one thing I trust CJH on its QBs
Well... I watched the Golich video and my thoughts started to trend a little.

In one snippet of one statement... he said that they had been working to find what each QB did well and then giving them the opportunity to do that in practice then build from there. Essentially each guy has his own set of plays. That doesn't point to any particular player... in fact I think it makes it almost impossible to know where they stand without sitting in the coach's office.

Much ado was made about 8 3 and outs the other day. That statement... means that doesn't matter at all. The likelihood is that they put each guy in situations that weren't convenient to his strengths to see how they handled it.

I very seriously doubt they're "equal" with that statement considered. Someone has shown that they can give them more than the other two at this point. The race isn't done but it is just really unlikely that all three have produced the same in the scenario Golich painted.

PS- it also means the routes on air and other periods that the media have seen... have little to do with who the coaches may think moves the O best.

I'd still bet on Hooker at this moment... but my confidence that we "know" anything is less than it was.

Reactions: 84Volfan

In one snippet of one statement... he said that they had been working to find what each QB did well and then giving them the opportunity to do that in practice then build from there. Essentially each guy has his own set of plays. That doesn't point to any particular player... in fact I think it makes it almost impossible to know where they stand without sitting in the coach's office.

Much ado was made about 8 3 and outs the other day. That statement... means that doesn't matter at all. The likelihood is that they put each guy in situations that weren't convenient to his strengths to see how they handled it.

I very seriously doubt they're "equal" with that statement considered. Someone has shown that they can give them more than the other two at this point. The race isn't done but it is just really unlikely that all three have produced the same in the scenario Golich painted.

PS- it also means the routes on air and other periods that the media have seen... have little to do with who the coaches may think moves the O best.

I'd still bet on Hooker at this moment... but my confidence that we "know" anything is less than it was.
I would bet that it's not, but I don't know anything.

My understanding from Golich was that spring was about learning QB strengths and weaknesses and showing the QBs what the staff wants from each of them. Then, the QBs work on it over the summer in player directed workouts and film study. Then, the coaches get serious about making decisions in the fall.

I don’t think we know much at this point. And, I totally agree that the glimpses we get in practice, while fun to watch, mean almost nothing.

If the Orange and White game isn’t cancelled by weather, it will be the best information we get until fall.

Reactions: FïreBall

VN Store

Back