VOLS position groups ranked against the rest of the SEC

I for one thought Tyler was going to be a player but he never seemed to get any better

Yeah it was a HUGE deal when he flipped from Miami to TN... just another example in a long long list of why I dont get overly excited about recruiting.

I hope every recruit pans out but until I see it on the field I dont let myself get to worked up over a recruit.

We lost an All SEC safety, our secondary will be worse bc of it. We lost our defensive captain at LB and are hoping a sophomore can replace him. We lost a draft pick on the D line. We aren’t Bama or UGA or even UF where we just reload when a good player leaves.

This year will show if Pruitt can be a great coach as he replaces 3 good starters on the side of the ball he has excelled at coaching.

Thompson was an Freshman ALL-SEC player, Henry T. was a Freshman ALL-SEC and ALL-American, etc., etc. Everyone returning on defense played significant snaps in 2019 especially on the back end but more importantly - across the board. Which means that, with few exceptions, our D will be lined with Juniors and Seniors with a mix of game tested Sophomores.

So to frame this as our defense is in a "re-build mode" is insanity considering we only lost three impact players!!!

GBO - Beat the Gamecocks in 16 days!!

We lost an All SEC safety, our secondary will be worse bc of it. We lost our defensive captain at LB and are hoping a sophomore can replace him. We lost a draft pick on the D line. We aren’t Bama or UGA or even UF where we just reload when a good player leaves.

This year will show if Pruitt can be a great coach as he replaces 3 good starters on the side of the ball he has excelled at coaching.

Thompson was an Freshman ALL-SEC player, Henry T. was a Freshman ALL-SEC and ALL-American, etc., etc. Everyone returning on defense played significant snaps in 2019 especially on the back end but more importantly - across the board. Which means that, with few exceptions, our D will be lined with Juniors and Seniors with a mix of game tested Sophomores.

So to frame this as our defense is in a "re-build mode" is insanity considering we only lost three impact players!!!

GBO - Beat the Gamecocks in 16 days!!

EDIT - Posted twice . . . sorry!!!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Pruitt has to prove that we are a team that “reloads” instead of “rebuilds” if he wants the benefit of the doubt like Saban and Smart get. If the defense improves this year then writers will see Pruitt as a coach that can turn stars into production.

Gotta remember the national mindset is Butch was a great recruiter and was fired for being a bad game day coach. They think UT still has a lot of his recruited talent. Pruitt has only been able to go 13-12 so that tells them Pruitt isn’t good at developing talent. Until Pruitt proves them wrong he, and the team, will be doubted.
He has to rebuild before he can reload. He is making good progress at rebuilding and that will continue with the 2021 class. My biggest concern this year an next year is the DL. We wiill have some good young players coming in next year, but they will need experience. I still yhink we will take a step forward next year, assuming Covid will be somewhat under control. I hope we get the full ten games in this year, but realize that that may not happen.

Reactions: 08Vol
But, but, but...I just had folks in another thread daring me to identify just one better coaching staff in the SEC...

Did you do it?? Explain the 9 that are better...

I identified the one...Nick Saban (as long as he is at Alabama and we aren’t competitive with that program, sorry, but his staff is better).

As long as Georgia and Florida own (not just beat) us...sorry, but they are better.

Any staff that has a Natty, sorry, but they are better. That includes LSU and aTm. Maybe another that I’m forgetting.

Leach’s staff has done more...with a whole lot less...likely better.

Arguments can be made for and against a few others.

Here is the bottom line. Pruitt’s staff still has a lot to prove (AND I HOPE THEY PROVE IT). Yes, they closed well last season, but it was against mediocre competition. And, that staff lost to two teams with lesser talent. One was an utter embarrassment (GaSt) with a horrendous gameplan. And in the other, any competent staff would coach their safeties to not give up the game like that (it looked like a Butch coached secondary).

So, good job by Pruitt and Co to go 8-5, but that doesn’t buy “best in SEC” in my book. Not by a long shot.

VN Store

Back