Vols Picked to Finish 5th in SEC

AngryButchJones

Not a Coach
Have seen this posted kinda sporadically, but thought a fresh new thread about it would be a good idea.

Tennessee's men's basketball team was picked to finish 5th in the SEC by the national and SEC media on Wednesday. Vols come in behind Kentucky, Florida, LSU, and Auburn. Lamonte Turner was voted a 2nd team All SEC guard, too. Received a few votes for SEC Player of the Year (Kerry Blackshear was voted preseason SEC Player of the Year btw).

Thought this could lead to a good discussion: Where do you think the Vols finish in the SEC this year? What SEC record do you think they earn?

I think 5th is actually pretty reasonable. I could see as high as 3rd and probably as low as 7-9 (if injuries happen or Plavsic isn't eligible especially). Curious what everyone else thinks.

Yeah, 5th is very reasonable. And squarely puts Tennessee in the tournament. Don't think we could ask for much more in a reloading type year. I just have this feeling Lamonte is gonna score 18+ a game like McRae did his senior year. Also feel that Bowden will be have similar numbers, maybe in the 14-17 ppg. range. Really need those two to carry the scoring load.

That would be a good finish in my opinion, coming off such a big loss of production from last year. I would take the under, as in I would expect us to finish lower. I love Barnes, so you know he's going to have them ready to play, but it's tough

Reactions: spyfish007
No, they are loaded. May have to rely on some freshmen, but that's nothing new in today's college basketball
I know they had that elite 8 run a few years back mixed in with some early tournament exits. This may be a show me year for Mike White.

5th is generous and would be a good year.

4th is our ceiling, IMO. I think UK, Florida, and LSU all have greater combinations of talent and experience. Auburn, Tennessee, and Bama should all jockey for that next tier. 5th is very fair, and perhaps, as you said, generous without knowing the status of Plavsic.

I think 5th is actually a good spot after who graduated last season. This season has some really good out of conference games, Florida State, Memphis (who will want some revenge for last years beatdown) and others. Be patient with this team, they will have some ups and downs early on, give them time to gel!!!

Gonna guess the SEC media had access and followed suit with the projection of the national media. Otherwise they would have had UT closer to 13, with only 2 returning starters.

Wish they were stuck with their own knowledge. Tennessee would have been projected closer to 13.

Reactions: The Dog
Gonna guess the SEC media had access and followed suit with the projection of the national media. Otherwise they would have had UT closer to 13, with only 2 returning starters.

Wish they were stuck with their own knowledge. Tennessee would have been projected closer to 13.
.....and we all know where UT finished the last time they were picked 13th, SEC Regular Season Champs

I think 5th is fair. I don't think Florida will finish 2nd because their coach isn't that great. They do have plenty of talent though.

VN Store

Back