Vols or South Carolina

Take your pick- Tennessee or South Carolina over the past 3 years

• Tennessse

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

BruinVol

All this talk about basketball being a tourney sport and the significant of making the Final Four made me think about this question.

What 3 year stretch of "success" would you choose between South Carolina and Tennessee.

Very curious what this poll shows. I'm guessing it close to 50/50

South Carolina.

I think 1 Final 4 and 2 Bad years outweighs a Round of 32, Sweet 16, and 1 bad year

Note, my vote does not consider the trajectory of the programs but the result of the past 3 years only...

Edit - I would vote Tennessee if you factored in program trajectory. The only downside about trajectory is would we be any better than USCe if we lose Bone and Williams since the last 2 enrolled recruiting classes have really underwhelmed...

Last edited:
Tennessee, not because of bias but because we continue to get better in the following years. Futures not history....

South Carolina.

I think 1 Final 4 and 2 Bad years outweighs a Round of 32, Sweet 16, and 1 bad year

I respect that. I'll be curious to see the votes but I really think that just shows you how warped the thinking is about the post season. I mean they have lost 33 games in the two years since making a magical two week run.

I respect that. I'll be curious to see the votes but I really think that just shows you how warped the thinking is about the post season. I mean they have lost 33 games in the two years since making a magical two week run.

In football, would you rather make the playoff one year and not be bowl eligible for 2 or make the Music City Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, and miss bowl the other year?

In football, would you rather make the playoff one year and not be bowl eligible for 2 or make the Music City Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, and miss bowl the other year?

I'd compare the sweet 16 to being in contention for making the play offs but falling just short and making a New Years Six bowl.

Being a 10-12 seed in the NCAA tourney would be comparable to a music City bowl

So hell yea I take a New Years six bowl

I'd compare the sweet 16 to being in contention for making the play offs but falling just short and making a New Years Six bowl.

Being a 10-12 seed in the NCAA tourney would be comparable to a music City bowl

So hell yea I take a New Years six bowl

I'd compare a NY6 Bowl to the Elite 8. It may be just me but I'd love to remove the 0 Final 4s. I'd rather have 4 tourney wins than 3 over same period. I know I'm in the minority here...

I'd compare a NY6 Bowl to the Elite 8. It may be just me but I'd love to remove the 0 Final 4s. I'd rather have 4 tourney wins than 3 over same period. I know I'm in the minority here...

I'd love to go to the final 4 as well. No doubt it's a big deal but at least in the case of South Carolina is did nothing to elevate that program afterward. It was nothing more than a two week long flash of attention.

I'd say Miss State making the final 4 a few decades ago meant very little either.

Also New Years six bowls would include well past the top 8 teams

Agree whole heartedly. The way some on here think, Georgia is a superior basketball program to Tennessee's because they went to the final four in 1983. The post season has too much weight in the thought process some have about success in college basketball.

BTW, I pick Tennessee. Two tournament trips with one being a sweet 16 stop, a conference regular season title, a much better overall record. We bested them head-to-head in that period. And we were 5-3 vs. the cats in that period (we seem to be the only SEC school in the history of the conference that has been able to acquit ourselves favorably with Kentucky head to head).

Tennessee.

Now if it was 2 bad years and a title, I'd pick that. No one really cares who went to final fours or elite eights at the end of the day. All about the last game.

Tennessee, based purely on trajectory. A F4 is great, but to follow it up with two stinkers is temporary satisfaction. I'll take the hope of continued sustained improvement over a temporary flash in the pan.

Tennessee, based purely on trajectory. A F4 is great, but to follow it up with two stinkers is temporary satisfaction. I'll take the hope of continued sustained improvement over a temporary flash in the pan.

It's very rare to jump right in and make that final four. You have to get close enough to see it first so to speak for to make in most cases. With that said this feels a little like 97 in football to me. As long as we don't lose both bone and grant we have just as good a shot next year to get there imo

Last edited:
Tennessee.

Now if it was 2 bad years and a title, I'd pick that. No one really cares who went to final fours or elite eights at the end of the day. All about the last game.

You are viewing that through the prism of a fanbase that only views a season as successful if it concludes with a Natty. Our threshold is something closer to making it to the 2nd weekend...

You are viewing that through the prism of a fanbase that only views a season as successful if it concludes with a Natty. Our threshold is something closer to making it to the 2nd weekend...

That's very true to an extent. But I still think I'd pick sucking for 2/3 and make a final four or title game rather than to consistently get to the 2nd or 3rd game and lose.

I like our trajectory too. I think it’s good to keep knocking and get a little further each time.

S.C. had a great run, then trouble, and has not been able to take advantage of the run. Downward trend to me.

Tennessee has been on a completely upward trend, and so far has taken advantage of it in recruiting.

Love to have that banner but give me Tennessee and a program that looks to be building on success.

VN Store

Back