Vols officially a No. 2 seed in Chapel Hill

TENNESSEE SELECTED AS NO. 2 SEED FOR NCAA CHAPEL HILL REGIONAL

May 27, 2019
Story Links
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee will be playing baseball in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2005 after being selected as the No. 2 seed in the Chapel Hill Regional hosted by the University of North Carolina.

The Vols will take on No. 3 seed Liberty to open regional play at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, May 31. Regional host North Carolina will take on UNC-Wilmington in the second game of the day and both contests will be streamed live on ESPN3 and the ESPN app.

Regional play is a double-elimination format with the winner of each of the 16 regional sites advancing to Super Regional play.

This will be Tennessee's 10th NCAA Tournament appearance and first since 2005, ending a 14-year drought. The Big Orange have made four College World Series appearances as well (1951, 1995, 2001 and 2005).

Ticket packages for the NCAA Chapel Hill Regional will go on sale Wednesday at noon while single-game tickets will be available starting Thursday at noon through the UNC ticket office website by clicking HERE. Single-game tickets will be $15 while full-session tickets can be purchased for $60. Gates will open two hours prior to first pitch and the stadium will be cleared between games.

Parking will be available in the Rams Head Deck for $10 and in the Craige Deck for free (levels 5-9). Beginning at 5 p.m. Friday through Sunday, there will also be free parking available in the Bowles Lot, the Raleigh Road Visitors Lot and on Stadium Drive. Disability parking is available for $10 in the Rams Head Deck. Ridge Road will be closed to through traffic for the weekend.

For more information on accessible parking, please visit the UNC Department of Transportation and Parking website.

2019 NCAA Chapel Hill Regional Schedule
Friday, May 31
Game 1: #1 North Carolina (38-18) vs. #4 UNCW (32-29), 2 p.m.
Game 2: #3 Liberty (42-19) vs. #2 Tennessee (38-19), 7 p.m.

Saturday, June 1
Game 3: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2, 1 p.m.
Game 4: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2, 6 p.m.

Sunday, June 3
Game 5: Winner Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4, 1 p.m.
Game 6: Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5, 6 p.m.

Monday, June 3
Game 7, if necessary, 4 p.m.

I'll allow it. We could open with Lingo and save Stallings for a winners bracket matchup vs UNC

Is Crochet out for the rest of the season? The last I saw it wasn't clear whether he would be able to pitch again this season. Anyway, I checked on the earlier Liberty game, in Knoxville, Hunley started and gave up 2 hits, one unearned run in 6 innings, so maybe he should go again. Anyway, I'm sure Vitello will decide what is best. GBO.

Reactions: RollerVol
Wondered why you hadn’t been around this season. Thanks for the help. 😀

After the pre-conference schedule, I was going to post something. I said "No, if it heads south after that, it wouldn't be good".

Was going to post something during the middle of the conference schedule or the Florida series and I thought..."No, what if they lose 8 in a row or something at the end of the year".

I just said, I'm going to leave it alone because there was a certain point where if they played .500 ball, they were in.

Happy for you all. And happy that Chapel Hill is close enough that I know several of you will make the trip.

After the pre-conference schedule, I was going to post something. I said "No, if it heads south after that, it wouldn't be good".

Was going to post something during the middle of the conference schedule or the Florida series and I thought..."No, what if they lose 8 in a row or something at the end of the year".

I just said, I'm going to leave it alone because there was a certain point where if they played .500 ball, they were in.

Happy for you all. And happy that Chapel Hill is close enough that I know several of you will make the trip.

Yer a good egg 99!

Congrats on getting to the post season after a challenging regular season, I didn’t think your guys would make it after going one and done in Hoover.

This place is better when you are around, hopefully we can both drag this out for a while!!!

I know where you're coming from. It seemed like when I posted during gameday threads we lost so I stopped posting. Worked some and some not so much but we were so close to ncaa's I didnt want to take a chance with my superstitions.

I just looked at the UT Sportst the Baseball website and it is excellent, and so fetch to see the UT Volunteers finally return to the College Baseball tournament 1st time since 2005.
It would have been highly disappointing to see them not make the College Baseball tournament after being talked about projected to be in the College Baseball Tournament, being a top 25 team this season, and finishing strong for the final 2 Weeks of the regular season with winning 2 of 3 vs the Gators in Florida, and winning the first 2 vs a ranked Rebels team before the game 3 close game loss.
Obviously I'm right they'll need to wait next season for that winning record for SEC games except that is not a issue that can bother me because they got in the SEC Tournament, were able to win 2 consecutive SEC series to finish the regular season, and best of all Made the College Baseball Tournament.

While I was optimistic they could make the College Baseball tournament because of a decent resume with a winning record that includes winning 2 of 3 games vs a wonderful Georgie Bulldogs team, a formidable top 25 Rebels team I was still not highly optimistic
Why I wasn't highly optimistic because of the fast exit in the SEC Tournament since they lost in the 1st game for the 4th time vs the Auburn Tigers in a coin flip winnable game, also a losing SEC record.

I know where you're coming from. It seemed like when I posted during gameday threads we lost so I stopped posting. Worked some and some not so much but we were so close to ncaa's I didnt want to take a chance with my superstitions.

I didn’t do an “Around the SEC Thread” this year because it felt like we never went to Hoover when I did. Lol

Is Crochet out for the rest of the season? The last I saw it wasn't clear whether he would be able to pitch again this season. Anyway, I checked on the earlier Liberty game, in Knoxville, Hunley started and gave up 2 hits, one unearned run in 6 innings, so maybe he should go again. Anyway, I'm sure Vitello will decide what is best. GBO.

I hope he can...I'm just gonna assume that no news is good news and he'll be wearing a facemask while throwing some wicked pitches...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: StarRaider
Friday’s game is most important. Can’t look ahead to a potential UNC matchup. Our mid week game early in the season against Liberty doesn’t mean much and has little bearing on this weekend. They have over 40 wins and have beaten some good teams.

CTV said Stallings is getting the ball Friday. Right decision in my mind.

Great thing about ncaa baseball is you can’t take anyone lightly. Every year a lower seed makes a nice run.

Yep. I only watch march Madness for that very reason. Of course, there is no bad reason to watch a college baseball game. Regular season, or tourney time. College baseball to me is a fairly level field. Much harder to stack than football rosters. And the small schools can play top level ball just as well. Biggest gap would be in the bullpen. even the NAIA schools play great baseball.

Friday’s game is most important. Can’t look ahead to a potential UNC matchup. Our mid week game early in the season against Liberty doesn’t mean much and has little bearing on this weekend. They have over 40 wins and have beaten some good teams.

CTV said Stallings is getting the ball Friday. Right decision in my mind.

I agree. Vols are not good enough to overlook anyone in the tournament. With the Vols' lack of quality depth in pitching, they cannot afford to get in the losers bracket, especially not early. But, I'm not sure there is another pitcher who has the ability to beat UNC on the staff. Just have to hope someone pitches the game of their lives on Sat (if Vols win on Friday) and then someone else can do it again on Sunday or Monday.

VN Store

Back