Vols offense looked at as gimmick

We run a hurry up, no huddle offense. That’s the only gimmick about our offense. We try to keep the other team from subbing so we can get mismatches. But, we still run the same plays as any other team.

Spurrier's offense wasn't gimmicky and I never heard anyone describe it as such. It was simply very effective because he knew how to scheme
a passing game and, when he started at Florida, the SEC was still very run oriented. Nobody had the DBs to stop Florida--certainly including us.

Teams will adjust to our fast style--there's no question about that. But style, at the end of the day, rarely wins or loses games. If we have
good players, are coached well and execute, we'll score points and win. If we don't--if our OL isn't great or the QB is mediocre, etc.--then playing
fast isn't going to help us much.
Spurdog was successful until DCs adjusted to his Pyramid, then not so much.

I love this. Lets take a look at this from a few angles. So there are folks that want to say the Tennessee offense is a gimmick. Ok, this is the United States of America. You have the right to be as stupid as you like. Remember what Lincoln said? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." So the same ilk at CBS recently ranked the top 25 football coaches, I'm sure you've seen the thread. Our Josh Heupel moved up to #16 on the list for 2023. So to me, it looks as if people in the media have noticed that CJH deserves to be in the top 20 of the college coaching profession. Appears to be pretty high praise for a coach running a gimmick. I'll get back to that.

It has also been said that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I believe that to be true. So is our offense is just a gimmick based on trickery that once exposed will be summarily squashed? I don't think so, and Dabo Swinney doesn't think so either. He only has a 6-4 record in the College Football Playoff with two Natty's under his belt. Oh, remember that CBS list of top 25 coaches? He was ranked number three. So why would someone of his stature be enamored by CJH's gimmick offense? The answer is Dabo is smart enough to understand something great when he sees it. You may or may not be aware that Dabo hired Garrett Riley (Lincoln's lil' bro) specifically to install the Heupel offense. Garrett worked with Hal Mummie and Mike Leach, sound familiar? Here is a link if you'd like to read up:

Does Clemson have what it takes to replicate the Vols’ offense? - Off The Hook Sports

I think we can be done with the idea of a gimmick offense. During time before the NFL draft people will do whatever it takes to try and minimalize player's values to save money. Labeling the Vols offense a gimmick was used as a tool to save money on the Vols skill players in the draft. Using terms like gimmick are also ways Vols haters can try to explain away the resurgence of this great program. One last thing, so if the #3 ranked coach copies the #16 ranked coach, shouldn't those numbers be reversed? Go Vols!

I love this. Lets take a look at this from a few angles. So there are folks that want to say the Tennessee offense is a gimmick. Ok, this is the United States of America. You have the right to be as stupid as you like. Remember what Lincoln said? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." So the same ilk at CBS recently ranked the top 25 football coaches, I'm sure you've seen the thread. Our Josh Heupel moved up to #16 on the list for 2023. So to me, it looks as if people in the media have noticed that CJH deserves to be in the top 20 of the college coaching profession. Appears to be pretty high praise for a coach running a gimmick. I'll get back to that.

It has also been said that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I believe that to be true. So is our offense is just a gimmick based on trickery that once exposed will be summarily squashed? I don't think so, and Dabo Swinney doesn't think so either. He only has a 6-4 record in the College Football Playoff with two Natty's under his belt. Oh, remember that CBS list of top 25 coaches? He was ranked number three. So why would someone of his stature be enamored by CJH's gimmick offense? The answer is Dabo is smart enough to understand something great when he sees it. You may or may not be aware that Dabo hired Garrett Riley (Lincoln's lil' bro) specifically to install the Heupel offense. Garrett worked with Hal Mummie and Mike Leach, sound familiar? Here is a link if you'd like to read up:

Does Clemson have what it takes to replicate the Vols’ offense? - Off The Hook Sports

I think we can be done with the idea of a gimmick offense. During time before the NFL draft people will do whatever it takes to try and minimalize player's values to save money. Labeling the Vols offense a gimmick was used as a tool to save money on the Vols skill players in the draft. Using terms like gimmick are also ways Vols haters can try to explain away the resurgence of this great program. One last thing, so if the #3 ranked coach copies the #16 ranked coach, shouldn't those numbers be reversed? Go Vols!
How can he run the system if he’s never coached in it? I think Riley is going to run his/Lincoln’s offense which is more air raid and maybe add some pace to it.

How can he run the system if he’s never coached in it? I think Riley is going to run his/Lincoln’s offense which is more air raid and maybe add some pace to it.
Great question. I’m just giving an analysis of what’s out there. I think part of the answer is in the article that I linked.

Great question. I’m just giving an analysis of what’s out there. I think part of the answer is in the article that I linked.
Article had no football insight. Just quoted klubnik saying we are moving fast in practice like UT. Big jump from that to running this offense.

Reactions: HalfullVol
The French probably thought the German Blitzkrieg was a gimmick too. That didn’t stop the Wermacht from taking Paris though did it? 😉

Exactly! Regarding UTs offense under Huepel, It wouldn't be negative to me that the offense is considered a gimmick. That's not necessarily a bad word. It's a gimmick that works and gave UT one of their best teams in 20 years,and an 11-2 record. The defense is getting better as well. Players enjoy playing that kind of style and fans enjoy watching it.

Reactions: volmanjr
We run a hurry up, no huddle offense. That’s the only gimmick about our offense. We try to keep the other team from subbing so we can get mismatches. But, we still run the same plays as any other team.

No hurdles isn't a gimmick, its applying relentless pressure on a defense, which leads to fatigue, which leads to breakdowns which leads to TD's.

TBH every single offense is a gimmick. They all want to distract you with one hand and slap u in the face with the other hand. Sounds like people are mad that they're coaches didn't think of using the entire field first. Winning pre snap based off alignment ain't a gimmick, it's simple strategy. It's no different than an NFL offense strategically using formations to get their best guy on your worst guy.

The TN offense isn’t a gimmick in the sense that it uses trickery and such. The fast pace is an intentional effort to put pressure on defensive players while also not letting the defense sub. It often causes defensive players to be out of position and miss assignments, while also tiring out the defense. It also gives TN the ability to take advantage of personnel mismatches at times. This is not a gimmick, it is a strategy, and it is working very well for the Vols. I mean, wasn’t the Vols offense the #1 rated offense last season according to yards per game? That’s pretty impressive in the SEC.

It’s true that GA has had success against the Vols offense, but IMO the cause of this is bc GA has a ridiculous amount of talent and depth on defense and very good defensive coaching. GA subs their defensive front often and doesn’t lose much as far as skill and talent in the process. This helps keep players fresh. I’m pretty sure that Kirby emphasizes the pace of the Vols offense in practice also. You know, always be ready, don’t get caught out of position, and know your assignments. I guarantee that GA spends a ton of time preparing for this.

Who knows how long this trend will continue with the GA vs TN game? One thing is for sure though, the more talented the Vols offense gets, the harder it will be for GA to defend. IMO this is especially true for the TN O-line. If the Vol’s QB is given time, it’s going to be hard for anyone to defend their offense. So long as TN gets good play at QB, which I believe is likely.

He coached at UF for 20 years, then went to USC, UGA dropped a 50 on his sorry butt, and he quit on his team in the middle of the season. Try to keep up.
I did. He quit in the middle of his LAST SEASON after 28 years. Keep up with me. 😉

Reactions: ZippyMorocco

VN Store

Back