Vols No. 24 in Preseason CBS Sports rankings.

sjt18

In all honesty any team that comes in second in the SEC East is going to be better than the 24th best team in the nation.

Not saying that Tennessee will or will not be 2nd best in the East.
Unfortunately polls are determined by records more than the actual quality of the team. Example from last year's poll: Louisiana was ranked 16th. What would their record have been against UT's schedule?

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
Unfortunately polls are determined by records more than the actual quality of the team. Example from last year's poll: Louisiana was ranked 16th. What would their record have been against UT's schedule?
I disagree with the first part of your post.
If the polls, especially preseason, are determined by record then explain how a 4-8 USC team is sitting at number 12...that's 4-8, as in only won FOUR games last year in a not good conference !!!

Devo182

"Well Known Member" TWSS
I disagree with the first part of your post.
If the polls, especially preseason, are determined by record then explain how a 4-8 USC team is sitting at number 12...that's 4-8, as in only won FOUR games last year in a not good conference !!!
Not last year. He's saying they're partly determined by the expected W-L.

And that SURE AS HECK is how it happens during the season. It's the entire reason they had to make up a completely different ranking - power rankings.

It's how you have an 8-4 #24 UT as a 9 point favorite vs 10-2 #12 Northwestern in a bowl game.

If you want the REAL ranking, let Vegas do it. People that don't put their money where the mouth is...not worth much.

njvols

10-3? Maybe 9-4 with a biig bowl win

Would be crazy impressive.
9 wins is a good benchmark for me w/o going too crazy...and that's going to mean we've played alot of good football. My mental record book (not reality) says we won 2 more games last year than in the books...ref robberies of Ole Miss and Purdue....and if Hooker was starting from game 1, playing vs Pitt and UF...don't get me started. So, yes, I think 9 is a good minimal target for a step forward in 2022.

Titan&Volfan4life

I'm happy being back in the top 25 to start.

As long as we go up, up and up as the season goes along then I'll stay really happy.

I'd really love to see Hooker and the guys that stuck around and gave their all to leave with a National Championship and the recognition that they all earned and deserve.

I also never ask for or hope for too much, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

In all honesty any team that comes in second in the SEC East is going to be better than the 24th best team in the nation.

I'm saying this! If Tennessee is the number two in the East, they will be a solid top ten ranked team. Where are these SPORTS WRITERS from?

Defcon5

How is Utah #4? Do they have a top 10 QB? Do they have a top 10 defense? FL going to kick the $hit out of them. NC St #11? Couldn’t win 5 games in SEC or B1G.

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Florida's not gonna whup Utah's ass. Utah might whup Florida's. Or it might be a close game, could go either way. But Florida's not going to win big or win easy.

Utah certainly doesn't seem to merit a #4 ranking. But Florida's not all that and a bag of chips, either.

UTProf

Not necessarily. UK can get 2nd because we play BAMA and they play State. Happened last season. They weren't better than 24, imo. Mizzou won the East twice. The first time they actually had a good team but the second time they were pretty mediocre. Because we count all SEC losses the same when determining the winner of a division and pair that with very unequal permanent rivalries a lot of really weird things can happen that allow teams that probably don't deserve to be there to slide into first and second.

LittleVol

Nothing better than good VOL Football
Florida's not gonna whup Utah's ass. Utah might whup Florida's. Or it might be a close game, could go either way. But Florida's not going to win big or win easy.

Utah certainly doesn't seem to merit a #4 ranking. But Florida's not all that and a bag of chips, either.
Fall practice has started and we just got a very talented transfer. We got our QB returning and the core of our defense with new talent coming into the secondary and explosive talent off the edge.
I wouldn't trade Byron Young and Jeremy Banks for any duo -not even Anderson and Henry T.

With that said..😕.
Florida's roster was tailor made for Napier. 😫
AR-15 is a bigger, faster, and more skilled passer than what he had at UL. He loves to create mismatches in the run game and Florida is deep at RB. Probably deepest in the SEC.

He brought in Sean Spencer from the pros who can really get production out of DL and gave him Co-defensive CO title along with his Defense Coordinator he brought over from Louisiana who had UL tops in their conference and top 25 nationally.
Florida still has some really good guys in that secondary. (Sigh)
Florida still has talent at WR.😕

Let's just say we'll have our hands full. I don't see Kentucky beating them, and UGA better not take them lightly. I can see them sneeking up and beating Utah. And Utah is a very good team. Returning everyone from their Pac-12 championship team.

I love Football and my Vols, but I hate that we have to play Florida every season. They're always a good coach away from contending for National Titles...

livefaith

I'm saying this! If Tennessee is the number two in the East, they will be a solid top ten ranked team. Where are these SPORTS WRITERS from?
I don't think it works quite like that. The East is still the softer of the 2 divisions. It COULD be true, but no guarantee. Top 25, maybe 20 is a lock.
To lazy to look at the data for the past decade to confirm tho.

VN Store