Vols listed as fourth toughest opponent for BYU

We all want this to be wrong. As in, we want Tennessee to prove to be BYU's worst nightmare of the 2019 season.

But we don't have any grounds for saying that's how it will play out. Not yet.

We're hopeful. Some show that hope more openly than others. Some hide it behind an armor of cynicism, as it were.

But we're all hoping. All the Vols fans, anyway. Probably not true of any of the gators, dawgs, elephants, dores, cats, or others who hang around here.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Speed or lack thereof has always been a problem for BYU. BYU's 2019 football recruiting class was rated 71st in the Nation.
Yet having watched them for many years... they always seem to get those "slow" receivers behind fast secondaries...

In truth, they have a network through the Mormon church to find athletic kids that aren't discovered or respected. Often they come from rural areas or small schools. They have a long history of not asking kids to do things they can't do... but just to do the things they can do consistently well. Not Mormon. Don't particularly care for BYU. But they have something that works for their circumstance pretty well.

So Jarom Jordan thinks we're the 4th toughest opponent for BYU?

8dd7aa46d497c98a2bd21cfa44724aa6a34f19876a54028e94097424baa41f2c.jpg

Is this some kind of sucker ploy to get me to go over to the season countdown thread???!!!!

Well, it worked!

According to Bill Connelly, who I figure is an impartial observer, his view (S&P+) is that we're tied with Washington as their toughest game based on BYU's win probability and we win the tie breaker as their toughest game because the spread is marginally larger for their game with us than for their game with Washington. ESPN's preseason FPI also projects that we will be at least a 10 point favorite in that game. My own view is that BYU is the 8th toughest game on our schedule this year, followed by Vandy at 9th, UAB at 10th, Georgia State at 11th, and Chattanooga at 12th.

Of course if someone was a mind to they could take BYU's side in this argument but I don't think there's going to be a lot of "impartial" analysis to back up that side of this game. jmo.

ScreenHunter 174.png

BYU hasn’t really risen or fallen as an indie. Does that change in 2019?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
According to Bill Connelly, who I figure is an impartial observer, his view (S&P+) is that we're tied with Washington as their toughest game based on BYU's win probability and we win the tie breaker as their toughest game because the spread is marginally larger for their game with us than for their game with Washington. ESPN's preseason FPI also projects that we will be at least a 10 point favorite in that game. My own view is that BYU is the 8th toughest game on our schedule this year, followed by Vandy at 9th, UAB at 10th, Georgia State at 11th, and Chattanooga at 12th.

Of course if someone was a mind to they could take BYU's side in this argument but I don't think there's going to be a lot of "impartial" analysis to back up that side of this game. jmo.

View attachment 209053

BYU hasn’t really risen or fallen as an indie. Does that change in 2019?
A big factor in these percentages that most aren’t contemplating is that BYU is on the road against us but not against the other P5 teams on their schedule and Boise St. Most on here are comparing team to team without regard for where the game is played. We probably are one of the two toughest games because they come here. That’s a long way to travel for BYU and they aren’t used to the heat and humidity they will likely feel that day. Now if we went to Provo then we would likely not be one of their two toughest games as, on paper today, it appears at least Washington and Utah are better, although not by much in my opinion. Utah will likely have a better record than us with an easier schedule though.

Side note, the Holy War is one of the many great college rivalries. I don’t like having that the first game. It’s weird.

At least they didn’t mention where we fall on our SEC opponent’s list. My guess it would be lower than 4.🤔

VN Store

Back