Vols land commit from 4-star WR Julian Nixon

SCOUTING REPORT
“Nixon is a big body. He’s been a big kid from the beginning. He was getting offers as a freshman already when he was 6-3 around 190 (pounds). Now he’s 6-5 and in that 225-230-pound range. Is he a big receiver? A flex-out tight end? I lean more toward tight end. Julian doesn’t want to hear that. He wants to be that receiver, but I think he can maximize his ability and skill-set as that athletic hybrid. He can create more mismatches. He’s best in the red zone.
He’s a consistent ball-catcher. He’ll win those jump balls. He’s a great kid. Comes from a great family. Has a good work ethic and a lot of love for Tennessee, and that’s a good thing as well.

3ynebz.jpg

We NEED a Top 5 class and maybe a couple more to get BACK to our NC contender level annually. If the Bama kid signs... That will be a HUGE sign that we are trending up... WAY up!!!
You don’t need top 5 classes to be a perennial powerhouse. Just consistently hit top 10-15 classes with a coach who can DEVELOP their talents. That’s the big key here. Butch could recruit but his players never lived up to their star ratings. Look at Gary Patterson at TCU. I consider him the best head coach in all of football. He does way more with his guys then anyone else.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Wow. This week is like watching an early Mike Tyson highlight reel...one solid KO after another.

Edit: Guess I should have read all the posts first, huh?

Go Vols!

Reactions: The Sheriff
You don’t need top 5 classes to be a perennial powerhouse. Just consistently hit top 10-15 classes with a coach who can DEVELOP their talents. That’s the big key here. Butch could recruit but his players never lived up to their star ratings. Look at Gary Patterson at TCU. I consider him the best head coach in all of football. He does way more with his guys then anyone else.

Mostly agree. I don't think a school since the BCS era has won a natty without two top ten classes out of their current four. So if you have two classes ranked #8 and then one ranked #15 and the other ranked #13 for example then like you said, if you develop your players then you have a chance at a title. If you consistently recruit outside the top 15 and especially outside the top 20 then you don't have a prayer. Stars do matter to a certain degree.

VN Store

Back