Vols in on transfer guard

You'd think a big would be necessary, but backup point is still a concern in their eyes. Bowden isn't one, and seems like James will play off ball more than initially anticipated.

You'd think a big would be necessary, but backup point is still a concern in their eyes. Bowden isn't one, and seems like James will play off ball more than initially anticipated.
This guy would t be eligible until 2020 so what you stated is irrelevant.

This guy would t be eligible until 2020 so what you stated is irrelevant.
Fair enough, thought he was a grad transfer. Didn't really care to look though. We already have bailey, don't see the need for another grad PG, when we should probably use it on a freshman.

Reactions: timmessee
And for 20-21’s PG.. it’s possible James is one and done!

You would have to think something isn't going right in next seasons recruiting class to recruit him. He has to sit and we will not have a large amount of scholarships to give. We definitely need three guards already have one in Bailey looks good for Johnson. If we sign this player would probably be our last scholarship. We have ten returning counting Bailey. You think we get Johnson and Walker this guy would be thirteen. Then what about Hall guess we could push someone out the door to make room.

Based on what? I must have missed a statement...
Just guessing based on what they are pursuing. Assuming he starts, lamonte will figure to handle a lot of the ball handling duties, at least at first. I'm sure he will still handle it a good bit because of Turner's ability off ball. This transfer is either because they don't think he'll be here after this year, or because they expect him to be more of a SG or SF. Just speculation though

Just guessing based on what they are pursuing. Assuming he starts, lamonte will figure to handle a lot of the ball handling duties, at least at first. I'm sure he will still handle it a good bit because of Turner's ability off ball. This transfer is either because they don't think he'll be here after this year, or because they expect him to be more of a SG or SF. Just speculation though

James will need help as a freshman getting the ball across midcourt when pressed, but in the half court the offense will run through him. Turner is better at hanging around on the perimeter working for an open look than attacking the basket or distributing to his teammates. I believe that James is a pass first guard that will score if defenses slack off of him. I think he'll be TN's primary PG by the 2nd half of the SEC schedule.

I think it makes sense. Bailey isn't really a PG, but this guy definitely is.

FWIW, I don't think UT pushes that hard, nor do I think he has a ton of interest in UT. Already trying to get visits to Arkansas and UF, not UT.

I think it makes sense. Bailey isn't really a PG, but this guy definitely is.

FWIW, I don't think UT pushes that hard, nor do I think he has a ton of interest in UT. Already trying to get visits to Arkansas and UF, not UT.
Bailey was the 19th ranked PG coming out of high school.....

Bailey was the 19th ranked PG coming out of high school.....
He had pretty much just as many turnovers as assists at Oregon. I remember seeing an Oregon beat writer say he'd be shocked if Bailey operated as a true PG at UT. Can't remember where I saw it, I'll search and find it and edit this post later.

EDIT: Found it. Interview was with James Crepea of The Oregonian.
“I would be very hesitant to suggest that he would be a significant point guard contributor,” Crepea stated. “If you’re going to have a guy be a floor general type of point guard, generally they’re either going to be a slasher or they’re going to be a distributor. Yeah, they may have a little bit of an outside game, but they’re not going to be a guy who’s going to bring the ball up, handle it all the time, and then start the passing rhythm but then be the last guy to get the ball and shoot from the outside.”

Crepea added that Bailey was used “almost exclusively” at the two-guard spot for Oregon last season, and his ball-handling duties were at a minimum. Still, Bailey did average almost an assist a game in his 19 minutes of action per game.

But clearly, Bailey was not viewed as a point guard at Oregon, and Crepea believes that all the teams recruiting him once he put his name in the transfer portal weren’t looking at him that way either.
What are the Vols Getting with Victory Bailey Jr.? | Rocky Top Insider

Last edited:
Turner averaged 3.8 assists this past season and only 1.5 turnovers. He had an assist/TO ratio of 2.5 this past season.

Not even comparable.

Crepea stated. “If you’re going to have a guy be a floor general type of point guard, generally they’re either going to be a slasher or they’re going to be a distributor. Yeah, they may have a little bit of an outside game, but they’re not going to be a guy who’s going to bring the ball up, handle it all the time, and then start the passing rhythm but then be the last guy to get the ball and shoot from the outside.”

I thought Turner distributed the ball better than Bone in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments, last year
Statistically, they were about even in that regard. Bone averaged 4.3 assists and 1.8 turnovers in those 6 games while Turner averaged 4.0 assists and 1.7 turnovers.

Still, considering how good Bone had been at that earlier in the year, Turner's plays is magnified even more.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back