Vols in NBA Draft

My response was in reference to your implication (also restated in the above post) that his NIL figures are somehow untrue/inflated/unprovable. You're not likely to ever have proof that he has "cashed the check", so secondhand information via media outlets is just going to have to work.

The rest of the premise of your posts I don't take exception with as they have merit.
Point taken

What stops an investor from going to a jaden springer and cutting a deal?

Maybe springer endorses his company, they come to an agreement that pays the player let’s say 1mil to return to school for one more year. Then if the draft spot is improved the investor spilts the increase over year before with the player.

Hopefully that makes sense but it’s a way NIL could be used for a player to have a reason to come back to school while an investor invest in their future

To give some insight on NIL in general, I have a good bit of experience through my business.

We broker licensing deals between celebrities/influencers and physical product brands

Generally, they are paid a small up front retainer depending on the size of their audience and then paid a royalty on gross sales they are able to drive. Typically between 8%-12%

So as an example, one guy with a YouTube audience of about 1.6M subscribers promoted a brand we manage a few times. He generated around $500k in sales and was paid about $55,000 in total.

A college athlete is going to have very little influence in driving sales compared to the type of people we work with. Firstly, their influence is regional. Second, they don’t have a connection with their audience the same way a Youtuber would for instance.

I’d say a guy like a Josh Dobbs or Grant Williams could have earned around $100k a year in deals among recent UT alums. But most players just wouldn’t be able to earn a ton of money.

Now granted, I’m looking at this from the economic perspective a business that actually wants to make money from a deal would have. There will be plenty of booster/ who are happy to just pay players big bucks to get them recruited. That’s a different thing entirely.

Edit: I’d say there will also be some predatory stuff that happens now where companies try to sign athletes with significant potential to long term deals. Like, imagine you could sign Kevin Durant when he was in high school to a 5 year deal and it only cost your $20k.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back