Vols give up 4 sacks all year 2007

you know the greatest thing about this statement? Crompton isn't. and that makes me happy. I'm definitely ready to see a hard nosed qb take over the reigns. no offense, EA. It's just that there's nothing like the southeast.

Let me guess. You are from the southeast? Most everyone makes that claim about their home region.

Our o line was a bit overrated IMO.
Ainge just had a really quick release.

I would have to agree with this. The Tenn O-line still was solid, but Ainge was very quick to dump off the ball so that had a lot to do with the low amount of sacks. It might not be a bad thing for a QB to take a few more sacks if he's willing to hang in there and give the receivers time to get open.

Ainge had a quick release and was told to not get hit -- that was a Cutcliffe philosophy. This definitely padded our stats. Also, we failed to run the ball well last year and didn't throw deep. The best D against that is play the intermediate pass tight to prevent first downs. Blitzing becomes less successful with quick passes so the D's didn't blitz as much (this is a guess, I don't have stats on that). Regardless, this doesn't make our O line bad -- just maybe not as good as stats say. Think of it this way - -Ainge has some of the best stats in UT history, but you won't find his name being announced among the Top 5 QB's this weekend. Stats aren't everything, there are lots of factors to consider. The most important being Clawson is making some serious O line adjustments this year so last year may have little indictation of this years results. I remain optimistic though.

What round was Tom Brady drafted in? I'm not saying that EA is going to be as successful just that the talking heads don't get it right every time. Imo EA can and I stress can be a GREAT QB in the NFL, but he needs the right system and wide receivers. He could do very well in New Orleans or Chicago. Chicago mostly cuz if he gose there he is better than Grossman and Orten(sp?) and if he is even just average they will love him in chy town.:good!:

What round was Tom Brady drafted in? I'm not saying that EA is going to be as successful just that the talking heads don't get it right every time. Imo EA can and I stress can be a GREAT QB in the NFL, but he needs the right system and wide receivers. He could do very well in New Orleans or Chicago. Chicago mostly cuz if he gose there he is better than Grossman and Orten(sp?) and if he is even just average they will love him in chy town.:good!:

Brady was a 6th round draft choice. Worked his way up the depth chart to #2 in summer practice. Bledsoe got popped in a game and thus began his great career. Will EA do this -- unlikely. Can he be far better than predicted -- certainly. I think there is an EA thread where I posted about him. He needs to get his head straight because he has killer potential.

Ainge would get owned in either Chicago or Philly. The fans would be on him without mercy.

you know the greatest thing about this statement? Crompton isn't. and that makes me happy. I'm definitely ready to see a hard nosed qb take over the reigns. no offense, EA. It's just that there's nothing like the southeast.

Until Crompton gets injured..

Ainge would get owned in either Chicago or Philly. The fans would be on him without mercy.

Philadelphia would destroy the Fabergé Egg that is Ainge's confidence.

He would be best suited going to a team like Miami. They're used to being disapointed by QBs since Marino, and they're in the middle of a "ground up" rebuild. Could be a good opportunity... but Parcells would also destoy him. I don't know that if he has a fragile confidence that there is any team he'll do well with when not being a place-holder for PATs.

Philadelphia would destroy the Fabergé Egg that is Ainge's confidence.

He would be best suited going to a team like Miami. They're used to being disapointed by QBs since Marino, and they're in the middle of a "ground up" rebuild. Could be a good opportunity... but Parcells would also destoy him. I don't know that if he has a fragile confidence that there is any team he'll do well with when not being a place-holder for PATs.

His best bet would be Seattle.

Brady was a 6th round draft choice. Worked his way up the depth chart to #2 in summer practice. Bledsoe got popped in a game and thus began his great career. Will EA do this -- unlikely. Can he be far better than predicted -- certainly. I think there is an EA thread where I posted about him. He needs to get his head straight because he has killer potential.

That was kinda my point. He has an NFL arm and given the right situation he could be great. Brady with almost any other team is an unknown QB in the league. All EA needs is the right system/opportunity. Having grown up in Chicago I would be thrilled for him to go there. I like him in New Orleans cuz they have great weapons on offense with a undersized QB who imo will not last more than 2 or 3 more years. As far as EA in Seattle he might get a chance early as Hasselbeck is getting up there in age 32 or 33 I think but I don't think they have the weapons to help EA look great.:salute:

This is a hell of a stat. (BEST IN THE NATION).

1. Did we lose any O line?

2. With Cromp being a lot more mobile than Ainge, if the line does just as good how much does this aid Cromp?

3. Vols, I must say I think we are a sleeper this year.

The 4 sack stat is about as meaningful as Ainge's Comp. % stat.

Ainge had a quick release and was told to not get hit -- that was a Cutcliffe philosophy. This definitely padded our stats. Also, we failed to run the ball well last year and didn't throw deep. The best D against that is play the intermediate pass tight to prevent first downs. Blitzing becomes less successful with quick passes so the D's didn't blitz as much (this is a guess, I don't have stats on that). Regardless, this doesn't make our O line bad -- just maybe not as good as stats say. Think of it this way - -Ainge has some of the best stats in UT history, but you won't find his name being announced among the Top 5 QB's this weekend. Stats aren't everything, there are lots of factors to consider. The most important being Clawson is making some serious O line adjustments this year so last year may have little indictation of this years results. I remain optimistic though.

...and this cat dropped knowledge upon us all. Nice.

Also, this will really come into play this year as far as stats are concered. The 12th game is starting to show in the stats as relevant to a player's ability as perceived by fans. Anyone see 61*, the same basic concept applies.

WOW, if SC had an oline like that we would be in business. Oue weakness every year is that our oline sucks and the qb gets sacked a ton.

VN Store

Back