Vols Football Spring Practice No. 2 Updates 3.9

You know way more about him than I do, but didn’t his horrible body language, demeanor and pissy attitude against Ga Tech harm himself in that regard? I know he has probably grown up a lot since then, but that sticks in my memory more than anything Butch Jones did to him.
Snowflake attitude.

Reactions: Behr
I'm not getting into either side of this fight,just wanted to say my peice.It seems some of you guys really would rather see players fail so you can say your right on a message board,rather than support whoever they put out their and represent for the Orange no matter what.Just my 2 cents carry on

He reads the defenses just fine, as evidenced by his good completion % and his 3 interceptions in 246 attempts last year...if set the program record for most consecutive passes thrown without an interception for crying out loud.......you simply do not put up those numbers if you can’t read a defense, period.

Can he/should he get the ball out quicker? I guess, but remember that we can’t see what he sees when he’s throwing the ball and our guys aren’t exactly great at creating separation, to say the least. Also, he’s gonna protect the ball (per Pruitt’s direction) and throw to guys and spots where he can complete passes. I’d submit that the times when you think you see him “holding onto the ball too long”, it’s when he either doesn’t have open, he doesn’t want to throw into a bad situation or when his receiver isn’t in the right spot.

I’d also add this....he reduced the number of sacks he took last year by better than half from the season before, despite playing behind the worst OL ever seen on God’s Green Earth. That doesn’t happen if he’s “holding the ball too long”. If anything, he held the ball a little long at times, willing to take a big hit, because our big, less than quick/dynamic WRs were slow to get reasonable “separation” so the play/pass could be successful.
That was a great post. Good job, sir.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
He reads the defenses just fine, as evidenced by his good completion % and his 3 interceptions in 246 attempts last year...if set the program record for most consecutive passes thrown without an interception for crying out loud.......you simply do not put up those numbers if you can’t read a defense, period.

Can he/should he get the ball out quicker? I guess, but remember that we can’t see what he sees when he’s throwing the ball and our guys aren’t exactly great at creating separation, to say the least. Also, he’s gonna protect the ball (per Pruitt’s direction) and throw to guys and spots where he can complete passes. I’d submit that the times when you think you see him “holding onto the ball too long”, it’s when he either doesn’t have open, he doesn’t want to throw into a bad situation or when his receiver isn’t in the right spot.

I’d also add this....he reduced the number of sacks he took last year by better than half from the season before, despite playing behind the worst OL ever seen on God’s Green Earth. That doesn’t happen if he’s “holding the ball too long”. If anything, he held the ball a little long at times, willing to take a big hit, because our big, less than quick/dynamic WRs were slow to get reasonable “separation” so the play/pass could be successful.

Man did he ever make amazing strides in not taking sacks (granted he set the bar real daggum low). 37th nationally in sacks allowed last year. In the SEC...behind that line...can't complain.

Reactions: Remy
Man did he ever make amazing strides in not taking sacks (granted he set the bar real daggum low). 37th nationally in sacks allowed last year. In the SEC...behind that line...can't complain.

There is a world of difference between JG eating a sack like this:

And eating one like this:

Reactions: LittleVol

What defense JG was reading last year? Come on man JG was holding the ball to long..He took sacks where he see the blitz coming hell the whole vol nation saw it and and he never change the play at line of scrimmage....Thats not on the oline..JG dont take no risk as a qb..No tight window throws at all..All I see is a 50/50 ball..Maybe a check down throw..I can count on my hands how many times JG hit somebody up the seam or a post route..People praise his completion rates and how he dont throw picks..Well he shouldnt throw picks if he dont take no chances as a qb..

What defense JG was reading last year? Come on man JG was holding the ball to long..He took sacks where he see the blitz coming hell the whole vol nation saw it and and he never change the play at line of scrimmage....Thats not on the oline..JG dont take no risk as a qb..No tight window throws at all..All I see is a 50/50 ball..Maybe a check down throw..I can count on my hands how many times JG hit somebody up the seam or a post route..People praise his completion rates and how he dont throw picks..Well he shouldnt throw picks if he dont take no chances as a qb..
I will tell you what I saw,.He had tacklers on his neck before he had taken 2 steps back. I am surpried that he survied the season with out a season/career ending injury. He completed 8 straight 3rd and long situations in the win over Auburn, even with tacklers hanging all over him. Also, I would rather him take a sack than throw an interception with the rush he was getting. We saw what happened in the Florida game when he had two ints. If people want to criticize him so much, at least present a clear/honest argument.

You know way more about him than I do, but didn’t his horrible body language, demeanor and pissy attitude against Ga Tech harm himself in that regard? I know he has probably grown up a lot since then, but that sticks in my memory more than anything Butch Jones did to him.
So overblown imo. He was upset after being lied to about playing in that game.....after being lied to by Jones repeatedly before then about having a fair shot at being the starter, when that was already a done deal in favor of Dormady due to politics by Jones.

He wasn’t yelling and screaming, wasn’t throwing a fit, was just clearly disappointed/upset, and the stupid TV cameras stayed on him all night. It was ridiculous.

And that’s literally the only thing the JG detractors can, and continually do point to to say he’s somehow a bad teammate despite all the other evidence to the contrary.

Complete BS, like everything else you spew. I’ll tell a chance he takes every once in awhile....that’s throwing the ball to your nephew who’s very likely to drop the ball like he did over and over and over again last year.

He was awful taking sacks in 2017, was much, much better last year, and as you said, the numbers show it. I expect additional improvement this year with Chaney’s help. Unfortunately, he’ll still have to deal with that piss poor OL being coached by Will Friend and no particularly dynamic WRs again.

Edit: Sacks taken in 2017- 109th in the country
Sacks taken in 2018- 37th in the country

Last edited:
Reactions: MustafaRasta
He was awful taking sacks in 2017, was much, much better last year, and as you said, the numbers show it. I expect additional improvement this year with Chaney’s help. Unfortunately, he’ll still have to deal with that piss poor OL and no particularly dynamic WRs again.

I think the OL surprises people a bit and not why many have hope (freshmen). I think the development, added weight/S&C, and having a great OL coach will show with Kennedy, J Johnson, Tatum, R Johnson, Niehaus, Carvin, etc.

If you go through Friend's history, he can never make much of a dent in Y1, but Y2 and on is just really good improvement. Expect that to continue here.

I think the OL surprises people a bit and not why many have hope (freshmen). I think the development, added weight/S&C, and having a great OL coach will show with Kennedy, J Johnson, Tatum, R Johnson, Niehaus, Carvin, etc.

If you go through Friend's history, he can never make much of a dent in Y1, but Y2 and on is just really good improvement. Expect that to continue here.
Sure hope you’re right about Friend. Last year was well beyond discouraging....literally made no progress/improvement at any point from week 1 through week 13. Just hope like hell youre right.....I honestly believe 70% or so of our issues last year was attributable to our awful OL play.

Reactions: gnm53108

That would be great. Get significant improvement while letting our super freshmen get a year of coaching, strength and conditioning, bigger, stronger, and a little older before being thrown to the wolves. Of course I believe we’ll see at least a couple of em thrown out there out of necessity.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Complete BS, like everything else you spew. I’ll tell a chance he takes every once in awhile....that’s throwing the ball to your nephew who’s very likely to drop the ball like he did over and over and over again last year.

That's cold man.

You're talking about his family...

Is JG yours? That would explain a lot.

chill bruh lmao

Can we all agree that no one here knows what has been asked of JG? Who really knows what the coaches have asked of him or let him do? Quit bashing!!! The results of games can’t be layed on one payers shoulders. I realize like most here, that the QBs take the most blame but damn! He has played behind the worst OL in TN history. Why did the RB position have such poor results? Why did the wide receivers have such poor results??? The offensive line was really bad. There is not a QB in the country that could have changed how bad our o line was and is. If this coaching staff can shore the o line position up, UT football will look a lot different no matter who the QB is.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
To be honest I’ll be glad when JG is gone , not because I don’t like the kid , not because I don’t think he does everything he can do for our football team , it’s just because I don’t remember another player that gets brought up in every dang thread on this board . What’s this ? We got a 5 star kicker , that’s ranked the number one kicker in the country ? “ well we wouldn’t need to waste a scholly on him if JG wouldn’t hold onto the ball for so long” .
Next post ... you shut up there’s nobody on our team better than JG , he can’t help it if our WRs stink and oline sucks. SEEMS LIKE EVERY BLIPIN THREAD. Smh .

As I heard on the radio the other day, he’s been set up to fail since he got here. Straight lied to by Jones, being wrongfully cast as some type of bad/petulant teammate, and as you said you said, 4 different OCs in 4 years, playing behind inarguably the worst OL in the country and UT program history. He has areas where he can and should improve, but he was pretty good last year considering the poor hand he’s been dealt here.

I am so sick of people making excuses for JG. Did he get dealt a bad hand? Yes Was the OL good last year? No But, that OL did open holes to allow UT backs to run all over UK ( a middle of the road D line ). The OL played decent a few games last year and JG still didn't look like a top SEC QB. If Chaney had been at UT the previous 3 years, maybe JG would have been much better. We will see this year. I still don't think JG has proven to have it between the ears and hasn't proven he is a gamer outside of the Auburn game where he played very well. Even in the AU game, several balls were 50/50 and several not thrown that well. JG may very well be the starter this year based on experience and grasp of the offense primarily. Don't be surprised to see JG get replaced my Shrout or Mauer mid season!!!

I’d also add this....he reduced the number of sacks he took last year by nearly half from the season before, despite playing behind the worst OL ever seen on God’s Green Earth. That doesn’t happen if he’s “holding the ball too long”. If anything, he held the ball a little long at times, willing to take a big hit, because our big, less than quick/dynamic WRs were slow to get reasonable “separation” so the play/pass could be successful.

Everyone on this board knows you are a JG homer!!! I am not one to bash a kid for giving his all for UT. But, I think JG gets more credit and the rest of the team gets more criticism for JG's lack of success than the rest of the team deserves. JG hasn't had a great supporting cast behind him. But, very gifted QBs that have it between the ears and all the tools to be great P5 QBs are also GAMERS/KNOW HOW TO ADAPT ON THE FLY TO HELP PUT THEIR TEAM IN POSITION TO WIN. When have you seen this out of JG? What is his record as a starter for UT? That is the only thing that really matters to fans!!! JUST WIN!!!!

Reactions: GrizzlyVol

This times a thousand. I don't think the team has really ever been behind him since that day. He showed the world he was an 'IT'S ALL ABOUT ME GUY, FORGET THE TEAM' QB that day!!! Hell, even Peyton sit behind a couple of QBs when he arrived. If JG lights it up this year, great for him and great for us VOL FANS. I will admit I was wrong. But, I will not be a fan of his until he proves himself to be more than just a SERVICEABLE QB that CAN TAKE HITS and GET BACK UP!!!

Reactions: Jaws

This times a million!!!

So overblown imo. He was upset after being lied to about playing in that game.....after being lied to by Jones repeatedly before then about having a fair shot at being the starter, when that was already a done deal in favor of Dormady due to politics by Jones.

He wasn’t yelling and screaming, wasn’t throwing a fit, was just clearly disappointed/upset, and the stupid TV cameras stayed on him all night. It was ridiculous.

And that’s literally the only thing the JG detractors can, and continually do point to to say he’s somehow a bad teammate despite all the other evidence to the contrary.

Don't act like you have that kind of inside information. If you can, prove it in many more capacities in the future. You are just a JG homer, PERIOD!!!

VN Store

Back