Vols Football Spring Practice No. 2 Updates 3.9

A 4th year player who has had 4 different OC....he gets way to much hate for being dealt a tough hand.
As I heard on the radio the other day, he’s been set up to fail since he got here. Straight lied to by Jones, being wrongfully cast as some type of bad/petulant teammate, and as you said you said, 4 different OCs in 4 years, playing behind inarguably the worst OL in the country and UT program history. He has areas where he can and should improve, but he was pretty good last year considering the poor hand he’s been dealt here.

As I heard on the radio the other day, he’s been set up to fail since he got here. Straight lied to by Jones, being wrongfully cast as some type of bad/petulant teammate, and as you said you said, 4 different OCs in 4 years, playing behind inarguably the worst OL in the country and UT program history. He has areas where he can and should improve, but he was pretty good last year considering the poor hand he’s been dealt here.
I think JG can have a good year under Chaney. He’s gotta do better reading the defense and getting the ball out quicker. It will be interesting to see how Shrout has progressed this spring but I believe the qb position could be “open” come August.

I think JG can have a good year under Chaney. He’s gotta do better reading the defense and getting the ball out quicker. It will be interesting to see how Shrout has progressed this spring but I believe the qb position could be “open” come August.
The backup QB spot will be open. For Maurer or Shrout. Thats the only QB competition.

Yeah, Henry T looks for real. I said when he signed that he would start game one. But, I backed off when I considered Kirkland was going to be healthy and a year ahead in the system AND a Sr.
Now, I'm thinking I may have been right the 1st time. Kirkland is not going to be a starter again.
4 guys will play at ILB (Ignot, Bituli, To'oto'o...and Crouch)
Crouch may be a back up as both MLB and OLB

Peterson seems to be still swimming. He is in better shape, but he's injured already?

When Roman Harrison and Henry To'oto'o get on campus, things are going to change! These two, in particular, are the future leaders of the dfense imo...

Roman was Defensive Player of the year of class 5A in Georgia
Henry was overall Defensive Player of the year in California.
Two true Alpha males.

this 2019 class is so underrated. Even with the two 5 star tackles. We signed so many good players.

Yeah I didn't get the JJ Peterson "banged up" Thing he hasn't played a lot of fb.

And if Maurer becomes the starter and leads the Vols to victories, what will you say?

tenor.gif

being wrongfully cast as some type of bad/petulant teammate.

You know way more about him than I do, but didn’t his horrible body language, demeanor and pissy attitude against Ga Tech harm himself in that regard? I know he has probably grown up a lot since then, but that sticks in my memory more than anything Butch Jones did to him.

Bruh
I know, but to also be fair JG wasn't getting "bashed". IMO sliding that last comment in was sly. I didn't mean it as criticism, I thought it was funny. But sly.
Bruh my comment wasn't even a JG comment.

It was all about Shrout. It is widely know that the competition is for backup qb. He needs to improve accuracy to be the backup. That has nothing to do with JG.

I said literally nothing about JG in that post. Can we not even discuss another qb without making it about JG?

Bruh
Bruh my comment wasn't even a JG comment.

It was all about Shrout. It is widely know that the competition is for backup qb. He needs to improve accuracy to be the backup. That has nothing to do with JG.

I said literally nothing about JG in that post. Can we not even discuss another qb without making it about JG?

It was meant to be funny but go ahead and make a big deal out if it.

And this post is laughable.

Where’s some CJC video? Guy is funny. I remember one time he told an assistant “ Why is this rope here? You really think offensive linemen are gonna run around this s..t?! Move it!!

He reads the defenses just fine, as evidenced by his good completion % and his 3 interceptions in 246 attempts last year...if set the program record for most consecutive passes thrown without an interception for crying out loud.......you simply do not put up those numbers if you can’t read a defense, period.

Can he/should he get the ball out quicker? I guess, but remember that we can’t see what he sees when he’s throwing the ball and our guys aren’t exactly great at creating separation, to say the least. Also, he’s gonna protect the ball (per Pruitt’s direction) and throw to guys and spots where he can complete passes. I’d submit that the times when you think you see him “holding onto the ball too long”, it’s when he either doesn’t have open, he doesn’t want to throw into a bad situation or when his receiver isn’t in the right spot.

I’d also add this....he reduced the number of sacks he took last year by better than half from the season before, despite playing behind the worst OL ever seen on God’s Green Earth. That doesn’t happen if he’s “holding the ball too long”. If anything, he held the ball a little long at times, willing to take a big hit, because our big, less than quick/dynamic WRs were slow to get reasonable “separation” so the play/pass could be successful.

He reads the defenses just fine, as evidenced by his good completion % and his 3 interceptions in 246 attempts last year...if set the program record for most consecutive passes thrown without an interception for crying out loud.......you simply do not put up those numbers if you can’t read a defense, period.

Can he/should he get the ball out quicker? I guess, but remember that we can’t see what he sees when he’s throwing the ball and our guys aren’t exactly great at creating separation, to say the least. Also, he’s gonna protect the ball (per Pruitt’s direction) and throw to guys and spots where he can complete passes. I’d submit that the times when you think you see him “holding onto the ball too long”, it’s when he either doesn’t have open, he doesn’t want to throw into a bad situation or when his receiver isn’t in the right spot.

I’d also add this....he reduced the number of sacks he took last year by nearly half from the season before, despite playing behind the worst OL ever seen on God’s Green Earth. That doesn’t happen if he’s “holding the ball too long”. If anything, he held the ball a little long at times, willing to take a big hit, because our big, less than quick/dynamic WRs were slow to get reasonable “separation” so the play/pass could be successful.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I know, but to also be fair JG wasn't getting "bashed". IMO sliding that last comment in was sly. I didn't mean it as criticism, I thought it was funny. But sly.
It was a trigger. He is what he is. He’s disingenuous with that statement, tho. EVERY time anything positive is posted about Shrout, he does his spiel. JG even being mentioned isn’t a factor. For someone so dismissive of a kid who only started one season of high school, he is very invested in the subject. 😉

It was a trigger. He is what he is. He’s disingenuous with that statement, tho. EVERY time anything positive is posted about Shrout, he does his spiel. JG even being mentioned isn’t a factor. For someone so dismissive of a kid who only started one season of high school, he is very invested in the subject. 😉

He would have received a like from me if he had responded to my "Sly" comment with a :)

Reactions: Souce
FYI, our OL wasnt the worst in the country. Not even among P5. FSU's was worse. We were bottom 20, they were bottom 5.

Just putting it out there. We were bad, but not the worst

Reactions: SmokinBob

As it should be open. Whoever the coaching staff believes will give us the best chance to win should start regardless of which one it is.

VN Store

Back