Vols DB duo didn't allow a TD

Remember when every other pass attempt was a busted coverage. Now we have 4 proven draftable DBs.

Yes. Things are different. But, after watching Probably break down plays, it impressed me as to how much lack of understanding of the scheme killed us in yr 1 and 2. Better players is good. Better players using instincts at fill speed with discipline is flat out exciting.
Hope we get to play this fall.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think Shamburger is one of the most underrated defensive players on this team, and possibly the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Cam Sutton type career in the NFL.

Shamburger played nickle so he had safety help much of the time. However, he did play well last season in coverage as well as blitzing, tackling, etc..

B. Thompson's 0 TDs is much more impressive IMO. He runs with WRs and stays with them while making a play on the ball as well as anyone...
Bryce is the real deal. I think Taylor is a solid option but Thompson is by far the better of the two. Very rarely did I see Thompson get burnt last season.

Reactions: 901LookAlive
VERY interesting article. I wonder how come our secondary isn't ranked MUCH higher in the preseason pubs? It should EASILY be top 5 with who we have returning. Warrior was a loss, sure... but we have a BUNCH of talent at safety.

Warrior made some good plays at times but it seemed to me he was more of a liability than an asset.

Shamburger and Thompson were both on the field that play. Looked like a busted cover, couldn't tell who was responsible

The player that looks like Shamburger is actually McCollough #22. SS isn't in the game.

We're in cover 3 (CBs responsible for deep 1/3 on their sides of the field and the safety ( Warrior) is responsible for deep middle. You can see him weave to the middle of the field and takes a terrible angle over the top of the WR and then he stumbles. Just a real poor play by Warrior.

In Warriors defense, it looks like Tank McCollough #22 doesn't know what hes doing either. He doesn't get his hands on him early, the WR runs by him, and Tank chases him. Makes me think they could be in some kind of Man Free coverage. Everyone plays man and the safety (Warrior plays the middle of the field free).

To sum up, McCollough deserves some blame, Warrior most of the blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol
Bryce is the real deal. I think Taylor is a solid option but Thompson is by far the better of the two. Very rarely did I see Thompson get burnt last season.
I still feel our best option would be to move Alontae to FS and start Key Lawrence at corner. We need his length badly, and I believe Alontae is a FS at the next level.

We are loaded at DB, with great talent coming in 20 and 21 classes as well.

It is no secret to recruits, or NFL folks, that CJP coaches the DBs himself. He has steadily placed corners and safeties in the NFL for his entire career, with good fundamentals. Look at Warrior last year for Pete's sake ...went from perennial under achiever to ALL SEC level play under CJPs coaching.

We should always have a great defensive backfield as long as Pruitt is here. I am very excited about how much talent we have coming in at LB also. Pruitt believes good defense starts at the back and moves forward towards the LoS... we should have a solid defense now and in the future IMO.

VERY interesting article. I wonder how come our secondary isn't ranked MUCH higher in the preseason pubs? It should EASILY be top 5 with who we have returning. Warrior was a loss, sure... but we have a BUNCH of talent at safety.
We don’t have any proven safeties... Warrior wasn’t even that good

Reading articles like this makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
tumblr_owjngbbMbf1qm9k25o1_400.gifv

Reactions: stevenrich2003
We don’t have any proven safeties... Warrior wasn’t even that good
What are you talking about? Between Shamburger and Thompson they played over 350 snaps together last year and did not allow a TD. Note this had to be beginning game 3 as Thompson couldn't play in the 1st 2 games.

Reactions: FïreBall
We're in cover 3 (CBs responsible for deep 1/3 on their sides of the field and the safety ( Warrior) is responsible for deep middle. You can see him weave to the middle of the field and takes a terrible angle over the top of the WR and then he stumbles. Just a real poor play by Warrior.

In Warriors defense, it looks like Shamburger doesn't know what hes doing either. He doesn't get his hands on him early, the WR runs by him, and SS chases him. Makes me think they could be in some kind of Man Free coverage. Everyone plays man and the safety (Warrior plays the middle of the field free).

To sum up, Shamburger deserves some blame, Warrior most of the blame.
That's not 12 Shamburger that's 22 McCullough. Sham is lined up on the opposite side. McCullough bites on the WR screen and Smith ran right by him. Shamburger deserves zero of the blame go back and watch again

What are you talking about? Between Shamburger and Thompson they played over 350 snaps together last year and did not allow a TD. Note this had to be beginning game 3 as Thompson couldn't play in the 1st 2 games.
Thompson is a corner, no? I don’t recall many plays being made by Shamburger

That's not 12 Shamburger that's 22 McCullough. Sham is lined up on the opposite side. McCullough bites on the WR screen and Smith ran right by him. Shamburger deserves zero of the blame go back and watch again

You know your right. I had to look more carefully and saw that 1st #2. Also the player in question stems down from a regular safety position, which SS never plays.

Warrior was All-SEC last season at one of the premium positions on D, you can't be average and earn All-SEC honors, not at his position.

Beginning of the season he was horrible but as the season went he became an asset

I agree. He particularly came on strong late in the season with his open field tackling. He made some key stops in key moments.

I never thought he quite blossomed into the great player I thought he'd be. Never seemed to cover the field real well and struggled in pass coverage. However, I do think he was a great leader and one of the reasons for the 180 turnaround the second part of the season.

Warrior kinda started rough, but man did he come on strong enough to deserve All-SEC.

Seemed like he settled down after FL.

With the game about to get out of hand early against AL, Warrior picked off Tua near the endzone and had a great return to midfield.

Seemed like Warrior was making highlight plays every game from then on.

Warrior kinda started rough, but man did he come on strong enough to deserve All-SEC.

Seemed like he settled down after FL.

With the game about to get out of hand early against AL, Warrior picked off Tua near the endzone and had a great return to midfield.

Seemed like Warrior was making highlight plays every game from then on.
His play against UK to win the game was one of my favorite all-time

VN Store

Back