Vols basketball team has tracing wearables to monitor COVID-19

This was the Knoxville local news, not exactly Walter Cronkite. He also mispronounced "contact tracing" the first time. I seriously doubt this was some conspiracy to mislead. Just a mistake. I guess everyone needs to be held "accountable" so to speak, but a little common sense would go a long way.

Reactions: Vol49er
Soon this will be thrust upon us as a common practice. Not trying to stir up controversy or fear but I CAN PROMISE YOU this will soon become an accepted practice by the majority of our populace. When I first saw this story I was kinda surprised Rick went along with it. Volnation, we are teetering on the edge of not even recognizing our world and especially our nation. Even so, C-L-J-C! And I'm guessing we won't really care who starts at QB for the Vols...:)
No it won't.

Interesting
Why? Updates happen in pretty much every internet news article for accuracy purposes. New information comes in, incorrect information is clarified, etc. The issue with this one is that the original report's incorrect information was kinda shocking.

Why? Updates happen in pretty much every internet news article for accuracy purposes. New information comes in, incorrect information is clarified, etc. The issue with this one is that the original report's incorrect information was kinda shocking.

Just interesting that we have posters telling us we should have read the article before commenting when the article was changed after we commented

Just interesting that we have posters telling us we should have read the article before commenting when the article was changed after we commented
I don't know why you think it's interesting at this point in time since you understand the sequence of events that have already transpired. There was incorrect information from the get-go. Confusion and shock abounded. The information was corrected. Sense was made of the situation.

It was bad reporting, and imo, there's no excuse for actually publishing such a claim without certainty. That's the only interesting thing about it.

I don't know why you think it's interesting at this point in time since you understand the sequence of events that have already transpired. There was incorrect information from the get-go. Confusion and shock abounded. The information was corrected. Sense was made of the situation.

It was bad reporting, and imo, there's no excuse for actually publishing such a claim without certainty. That's the only interesting thing about it.

We agree

It includes beds for all ICU needs....pretty easy to figure that out. No one is trying to tell you what to do, but this is real, especially if you've had someone close to you affected. I'm thankful to the docs and nurses on the front lines.

Don't get me wrong on this statement. I have a daughter who is front line as you say. Being a nurse in a fair sized hospital gets you up front and personal with this and many other "catchable" ills. All I was trying to say/ask was just how misleading the press and health services were misleading us into think C-10 is so bad it is overwhelming or hospitals ICU abilities. Which reminds me what the hell happened to the 1000s of beds set up in places like the new Nashville Convention Center or the same in Memphis and other places around the country??? Makes you wonder don't it? I know for some, this virus is as bad as it gets, but I would love to see the numbers that succumb to our ever day/year flues in comparison to C-19.

Don't get me wrong on this statement. I have a daughter who is front line as you say. Being a nurse in a fair sized hospital gets you up front and personal with this and many other "catchable" ills. All I was trying to say/ask was just how misleading the press and health services were misleading us into think C-10 is so bad it is overwhelming or hospitals ICU abilities. Which reminds me what the hell happened to the 1000s of beds set up in places like the new Nashville Convention Center or the same in Memphis and other places around the country??? Makes you wonder don't it? I know for some, this virus is as bad as it gets, but I would love to see the numbers that succumb to our ever day/year flues in comparison to C-19.

The numbers are clearly out there you obviously just don’t want to see them. In 8 months covid has killed more people than the last 5 flu seasons combined. Last flu season 22,000 died total. Covid has killed 210,000 in 8 months.

The numbers are clearly out there you obviously just don’t want to see them. In 8 months covid has killed more people than the last 5 flu seasons combined. Last flu season 22,000 died total. Covid has killed 210,000 in 8 months.

Thanks! I don't know how to find "out there".. To old and "don't give a damn" about having to look for things/info on the internet. It's gotten to where I even have to wade through commercials on most sites/articles (even getting this way on this one) just to find the info I am looking for. With news papers etc. you could just skip the crap and see/read what you were looking for. Nothing got crowded by ads on the side or things superimposed on the subject. I am glad to have youngster and people with more patience than me helping me in my "don't give a damn" years.;):rolleyes:

Reactions: jmva1
The virus is real. I have had it. I had a friend in ICU for 27 days. But the numbers you are listing are not a true picture. There are some people doing amazing work you clear up the blatantly misleading numbers that get spewed on media and even worse, misleading numbers coming straight from CDC and state health agencies. It is important we pay attention to the right info for a more clear and accurate picture.

The virus is real. I have had it. I had a friend in ICU for 27 days. But the numbers you are listing are not a true picture. There are some people doing amazing work you clear up the blatantly misleading numbers that get spewed on media and even worse, misleading numbers coming straight from CDC and state health agencies. It is important we pay attention to the right info for a more clear and accurate picture.

If you think sources like John’s Hopkins are lying about their numbers, so be it. Nothing I can really tell you.

Home - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

These players are actually monitored with chips that register if people are even an inch too close to one another, and if they allow themselves to be tracked, and if they consent to this sort of constant monitoring, then one would think they had better never EVER get infected with COVID or have an incident during the season. And if they do have an incident, then what was the point of the heightened surveillance to begin with?

I would imagine that it was presented as a net positive. "If you do this then we can play basketball." Athletes love to compete and play their chosen sports more than anything else in the world. I'm not too surprised that they'd allow themselves to be chipped if it meant they had a better chance of playing basketball in exchange.

Are they going to monitor how many inches you penetrate your girlfriend too?

Really smart of the SEC to embrace this technology, as it helps protect members of all the teams by allowing really quick contact tracing, and the devices are worn, not implanted. Beyond the obvious protection of people who may be at-risk, the league is also protecting itself financially, as game cancellations mean more lost revenue. This is an incredibly easy solution.
If the general public were able to widely use similar technology the country would be in much better shape. We have to understand WHERE the Virus is before effectively fighting it, until vaccines are widely available.
Can any of you imagine what this Pandemic would be like if this virus were more deadly, like Ebola? Right now there would be MILLIONS dead just in the US. Diseases don't care what party we support, or how free or enslaved we might feel. It just infects us, and then does its thing. You've got to stop it by any means available. The Black Plague killed an estimated 50 million in Europe in the 1300's, or 60% of their entire population. I can live with a little inconvenience to keep my family safe...
get off the web and back into the herd you sheep

Reactions: Pacer92
Well if it's something you wear, what good is it if guys can remove it? Do YOU want to be monitored every minute? I doubt it. Give an inch, give up a foot.

You got a smartphone? Because you’re being monitored by the government right now my dude

Reactions: Pacer92
Even though the chipped story isn’t true, it’s hilarious how everyone was freaking out but has a smartphone that monitors and records everything you do anyways, and half you have a wearable that records basically the same information. We gave up privacy a decade ago, don’t even try and be outraged 😂😂😂

VN Store

Back