Vols Basketball Stock: Buy or Sell?

iKrager

1. No team has been more consistently impressive than Tennessee. That doesn't necessarily mean the Volunteers have been the most impressive team, but their complete lack of letdowns through two months is more than a little noteworthy when considering their potential to play well for six consecutive tournament games.
    On neutral courts against equal-caliber teams, the Vols picked up an outstanding win over Gonzaga and took Kansas to overtime before suffering their only loss of season, proving they belong on the same tier with the title contenders.
    Against KenPom top-100 opponentsGeorgia Tech, Louisville and Memphis, Tennessee won each game by at least a 10-point margin, controlling the first with defense and enjoying offensive explosions in the other two. And in eight games against teams outside the KenPom top 100, Tennessee's average margin of victory is 30.5 points, including eviscerating Georgia 96-50 in the SEC opener.
    Even though no one outside of Admiral Schofield shoots that well from distance, this is one of the most efficient offenses in the country, thanks in large part to the top-ranking assist rate. Tennessee moves the ball fluidly, probing the defense to find good interior looks while rarely committing turnovers. In fact, on top of assisting on 69 percent of made buckets, the Vols have the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the country.
    Those stats often get overlooked because they don't show up as SportsCenter highlights, but averaging nearly two assists per turnover—while also blocking more than six shots per game—is a fantastic way to contend with anyone.
    Throw in the fact that this is a veteran team (two seniors, three juniors and a sophomore in the primary six-man rotation) with one of the top midseason candidates for National Player of the Year (Grant Williams), and only a fool would be selling stock in Tennessee.
    Verdict: Buying

Buying or Selling Each Top 10 CBB Team as a National Championship Contender

Buy.

I think we lose no more than 4 conference games all season. We are bound to lose something, it’s just the way basketball is. But this team plays with more unity than I have ever seen them play, and that bodes very well for carrying consistency into the SECT & NCAAT. Just don’t peak too early, and we’ll be fine. Buy.

Buy.

I think we lose no more than 4 conference games all season. We are bound to lose something, it’s just the way basketball is. But this team plays with more unity than I have ever seen them play, and that bodes very well for carrying consistency into the SECT & NCAAT. Just don’t peak too early, and we’ll be fine. Buy.

I'll see your 4 and bid 2. ;)

Reactions: supersmo18
Hold. We're already 2 places from #1. Not enough upside. Holding just for the final run up to #1. :-D

We’ll lose a few games in conference play. It’s the way it goes. Duke, Michigan, Virginia, and Kansas will too. We’ll hold serve at home and lose a few on the road. 14-4, 15-3 is reasonable.

Reactions: Donvolson
We’ll lose a few games in conference play. It’s the way it goes. Duke, Michigan, Virginia, and Kansas will too. We’ll hold serve at home and lose a few on the road. 14-4, 15-3 is reasonable.
So far we’re doing really well in conference play! If our defense can become consistent again like we know it can AND the offense is clicking.. I don’t know who can beat us.

Reactions: vols 30

dude we aren't losing 3 or 4 games. 1 maybe.

Watch out ..Great offense ..Williams PLUS Bone, Bowden, Turner.... Lately LOUSY DEFENSE SEE MIDSEASON STATS:
Good offensive NCAA stats ranking:
Assists 2nd
Free throw percentage 10th
Scoring offense 8th
Field goal percentage 2nd
Turnovers 27th
Bad offensive stats
Offensive rebounds 151st
3 point percentage 263rd

Bad Defense stats:
Total rebounds 108
Scoring defense 83rd
Fewest fouls 132nd
3 point field goal defense 60th

Other note SEC: In SEC 6 games, Pons totally ineffective 88 minutes, 11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 assist..
What is going on with Schofield ?last 2 games.. three points, 1-10, 12 points Alabama, 6 points Vandy.
field goals 6 for 26 last 2 games

Hold. The jury is still out on this team. We will see just how good Coach Barnes is. I would also like to see how the Vols play against Kentucky.

Hold. The jury is still out on this team. We will see just how good Coach Barnes is. I would also like to see how the Vols play against Kentucky.

He's taken a team without a single top 100 prospect and coached them to the #1 ranking in the country. Along the way they have demolished most competition. I really don't think the bolded is in question.

Reactions: iKrager and Stoked
He's taken a team without a single top 100 prospect and coached them to the #1 ranking in the country. Along the way they have demolished most competition. I really don't think the bolded is in question.
There is no disrespect intended. But the jury is still out. Can the Vols maintain their run or will they fold? If so, they will need more production from someone else besides Williams. Bone was the only other player in double figures, other than Williams in the Vandy game. Barnes is a very, very good coach. Can he get them to the finish line and a #1 seed? The last 8 games are UK, Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss, UK again, MSState and Auburn. The Vols will have to win these 8 games and win the Conference Tournament. I could see a situation where they win all the regular season games and make an early exit in the SEC tournament. The jury is still out.

There is no disrespect intended. But the jury is still out. Can the Vols maintain their run or will they fold? If so, they will need more production from someone else besides Williams. Bone was the only other player in double figures, other than Williams in the Vandy game. Barnes is a very, very good coach. Can he get them to the finish line and a #1 seed? The last 8 games are UK, Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss, UK again, MSState and Auburn. The Vols will have to win these 8 games and win the Conference Tournament. I could see a situation where they win all the regular season games and make an early exit in the SEC tournament. The jury is still out.

I see where you're coming from but just disagree. I think some are suffering from a bit of recency bias. If you're expecting the vols to go undefeated THEN run the table in the SEC tournament in order to prove they're worthy of their ranking that's simply unreasonable.

Reactions: Vols410 and calban

So if Tennessee doesn’t finish 29-1(18-0) win the SECT and then the NCAAT then they “folded”?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...so you're insinuating that Tennessee has to go 8-0 to finish the regular season AND win the SECT to get a 1 seed? Did I read that correctly? If so, you must think we play in the Mid American Conference, or something. The SEC is arguably the 2nd strongest conference in college basketball. We will lose games in those final 8. We don't have to go undefeated to make the 1 line. You are way off here.

Reactions: calban

VN Store

Back