Vols 4 seed vs Louisiana - Thursday 9:40 ET CBS

LA went 1 and 5 against Quad 1 teams with their lone win against South Alabama. (Didn’t realize they were Quad 1 this year.) They piled up the vast majority of their wins against Quad 3 and 4 teams. If we can’t take them, we didn’t need to worry about going further. Duke will probably be a toss up but I don’t think the ACC was all that this year. Line up and let’s go.

Well he certainly wasn’t getting on the court over Koloko last year or Ballo this year at Arizona, hence the transfer.

Kevin Samuel (who is shorter and lighter than Uros) is another great example. Look how much his production jumped in similar minutes after transferring from TCU. In South Alabama’s games agai st Louisiana they were still doubling Brown, so that tells you what they think about Samuel’s 1 on 1 ability. I’d happily take Uros, Awaka, Aidoo or even Olivier over Samuel.

The main point is you can’t just compare stats between the Sun Belt and the SEC. It’s not apples to apples.

The Vols haven’t played great the last few weeks. We all have reasons to be concerned. While the team certainly needs to focus on Louisiana, as fans, we can pretty much move on to worrying about Duke, where at least the talent/size levels are pretty even. No one in the country wants to play Duke right now.
Koloko and Ballo don't factor into it. Brown transferred two years ago when he coach was canned.

Uros has 5 pounds and 1 inch on Samuel according to their bios. His size alone won't be anything surprising to Brown. He and Aidoo will rely more on their ability than their size in the matchup.

I wouldn't be surprised if we stick with 1-on-1 vs Brown without a double team, even though I think he'll get plenty of points in any matchup we try. We have enough size on the wing with JJJ and JP that we don't have to play with two posts, and Aidoo and Plavsic can get enough stops and fouls (Brown is inconsistent from the line) between them to end possessions even if the usage rate gets Brown over 20 points. If Nkamhoua is on his game it'll be big problems for them on the other end, too.

This year we beat two of the number 1 seeds. A number two seed and lost to a number 2 seed. We can win both of these games. We could also have one off night and lose. I can see us being healthy and rested and easily beat Louisiana. Duke is not as good as Bama or Kansas, but we have to play our A game to beat them.

This is not the same team without ZZ, at least not yet. Someone has to step up and run the point! We usually focus on PG's running the offense, but what's killed us since ZZ's injury is getting back and preventing runouts and fast break points and disrupting opposing PG's getting into their offensive sets. Missouri killed us on fast break points and getting good looks on 3's, especially early in the shot clock. It was the biggest difference in the game. I think Santi has done a credible job on the offensive end but our lack of defense from the point has cost us. Santi is just not as quick as ZZ and I don't know if Key is either. We will win or lose on how well we defend from the point or conversely how good the opposing guards are.

This is not the same team without ZZ, at least not yet. Someone has to step up and run the point! We usually focus on PG's running the offense, but what's killed us since ZZ's injury is getting back and preventing runouts and fast break points and disrupting opposing PG's getting into their offensive sets. Missouri killed us on fast break points and getting good looks on 3's, especially early in the shot clock. It was the biggest difference in the game. I think Santi has done a credible job on the offensive end but our lack of defense from the point has cost us. Santi is just not as quick as ZZ and I don't know if Key is either. We will win or lose on how well we defend from the point or conversely how good the opposing guards are.
Let me help here - Key isn’t anywhere close to as quick as ZZZ

Key, at 23 years old, moves like I'd imagine ZZ will move when he's 60 years old playing pickup ball at the local YMCA.

Got it. Just like trying to sell you are as intelligent and rational as the average poster on this board now or in the future. Just not in the cards.

Dang, I could get into this snarky methodology of posting featured by so many on these boards. Do you think Coach equated their abilities when he added Key?

Got it. Just like trying to sell you are as intelligent and rational as the average poster on this board now or in the future. Just not in the cards.

Dang, I could get into this snarky methodology of posting featured by so many on these boards. Do you think Coach equated their abilities when he added Key?
Not sure why your salty response was aimed at my direction. I guess I'm just not as intelligent and rational as the average poster on this board.

Not sure why your salty response was aimed at my direction. I guess I'm just not as intelligent and rational as the average poster on this board.

Just parroting your ZZ to Key comparative analysis. Same value add to the board. That would be none.

Just parroting your ZZ to Key comparative analysis. Same value add to the board. That would be none.

This was the quote in reference
Santi is just not as quick as ZZ and I don't know if Key is either.
My follow-up comment was made tongue-in-cheek in response to walkenvol who addressed it.

Not sure how it hurt your feelings or compelled you to go on the offensive, but you do you, bro.

I have a lot of confidence that they can beat Louisiana in the first round. They look good record wise, but a lot of that can be fluffed up due to who they have played most of the year. They've lost to some bad teams within their own conference. Like mentioned earlier, if Tennessee can't beat this team, they don't deserve to be in this to begin with. I'm more concerned with the 2nd round. With Duke or Oral Roberts, you have teams on long winning streaks which is dangerous this time of year. I'm not overlooking Louisiana,but that's that the game you have to be worried about.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it and seeing what happens.

Eric Cain of the Locked On Vols podcast has a cross over interview with the Sun Belt Conference podcast host about the Louisiana-Tennessee match up on Thursday night.

Jordan Brown is the main guy for Louisiana and they will let opposing teams have plenty of two point looks while fiercely guarding the three point line and they want to run and gun on offense.

VN Store

Back