Vols #11 in AP and #12 in Coaches Poll

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I still think we should be ranked a little higher. :gun:

We should be in the Top 10, no doubt. This is what I think of the AP and Coaches' Polls: :bad: :bash: :shakeit: :biteme: :flush: :freak:

Look at the teams in front of us... I would be suprised if we made tenth in both polls, and flat-out shocked if we got higher than that. Our ranking will increase with time. I have confidence the Vols can finish the rest of the schedule without an L. Here is a list of teams in front of us (based on the ESPN/USA Today poll), and teams they have to face left in the season.

1. USC - Washington State, Oregon State, Arizona, Notre Dame, UCLA

USC will finish the season undefeated.

2. Oklahoma - Oklahoma State, (17) Texas A&M, Nebraska, Baylor

Texas A&M has a chance at giving the Sooners a run for their money, but Peterson will probably run his way to leading an Oklahoma victory.

3. Miami - North Carolina, Clemson, (14) Virginia, Wake Forest, (22) Virginia Tech

Miami is the only team out of the teams in front of us to have to face more than one ranked team. After teetering on the brink of defeat versus Louisville, look for the beefed up Virginia offense to upset the 'Canes.

4. Auburn - Mississippi, (7) Georgia, Alabama

Auburn's schedule is all about Georgia. Pray for the team that couldn't decide on one mascot to win. If Auburn wins, it will guarantee one more team behind the Vols. If Georgia wins, Auburn will still likely stay ahead of us in the polls.

5. Florida State - Maryland, Duke, N.C. State, Florida

The rest of Florida State's schedule is a joke. The only thing that could even theoretically keep them fron a 10-1 season is if Zook finally realizes there's a freaking bonfire under his ass and turns the Gators around in time for the end of the season.

6. Wisconsin - (23) Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa

Wisconsin has had some marginally good wins over mediocre teams, until they showed up against Purdue. If Wisconsin is the team that only put up 9 points against Arizona, Minnesota definitley has a shot. If they are the team that pulled one out against Orton and the Boilermakers, then Minnesota will find themselves with another loss.

7. Georgia - Florida, Kentucky, (4) Auburn, Georgia Tech

Auburn is a big blue and orange shadow hanging over the remainder of the Bulldog's schedule. As I said before, hope the Tigers absolutely pound runs down the Dawgs' throats, because it will put them solidly behind us.

8. California - (21) Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Southern Miss

The Sun Devils might not look too bad against the Bears. Hope Arizona State pulls out an upset.

9. Texas - Colorado, Oklahoma State, Kansas, (17) Texas A&M

It hurts for me to say it because of my Longhorn heritage, but a Texas A&M victory would be huge here, at the end of the season. It may very well happen.

10. Utah - San Diego State, Colorado State, Wyoming, BYU

I, personally think the Utes are somewhat overrated. Sure, they have dominating wins, but has anybody taken a good look at their schedule? Aside from Texas A&M, their schedule has been an absolute joke. In the event that the Utes make it to a BCS bowl, I think they will be humiliated.

11. Michigan - Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State

Nothin'.

So, I don't think Tennessee will be finishing any higher than 8th or 9th this season, unless they can just open it up and pull out some absolutely amazing wins.

Thanks. :good: I'm not entirely sure if I hit all the nails' heads on all of that, but I'm pretty sure it looks good.

The AP and Coach's polls piss me off! How can any of the voters justify Georgia being ranked over UT? Both teams have one loss, and UT beat Georgia. I guess the margin of loss against Auburn really hurts, but after all, they are the #3/#4 team. UT should definitely be in the top 10 and definitely ahead of Georgia.

It makes no sense to me. If UT and Georgia win out, then UT will be in the SEC Championship game and Georgia will probably be ranked higher than UT. How fricking ridiculous.

Although the BCS poll has its issues, the fact that it has UT over Georgia is redeeming. (We'll see what the new one has tomorrow.)

Damn! These polls piss me off. It seems like UT gets shafted a lot in the polls too. I wish there would be Division I-A playoff instead of all these politically/money-driven poll systems.

[BTW, this is my first post on the board.]
:)

Welcome. :welcome:

I have a couple things to say to that: If you look at my post, notice that Georgia still has to face Auburn. I am confident the Tigers can beat the Dawgs. When that happens, Georgia will fall behind UT in the rankings. And if they don't... Then there will be riots on the streets of Knoxville. But Things will be correct in time.

Even if Georgia wins out, if we beat Auburn in the SECC then we will jump them in the polls.

Welcome to VolNation utvols. :welcome: :welcome:

Originally posted by milohimself@Oct 24, 2004 9:08 PM
I believe he was saying if Georgia wins out, they will make it to the SECC and not us.

Who?

It makes no sense to me. If UT and Georgia win out, then UT will be in the SEC Championship game and Georgia will probably be ranked higher than UT. How fricking ridiculous.

I think he just meant that it stinks that there is a possibility that we could win the SEC and Georgia be ranked higher. But at least the conference champ gets an automatic BCS bid.

Originally posted by milohimself@Oct 24, 2004 9:12 PM
I was talking about utvols. I suppose I misunderstood, then

:dunno: :beer:

All that really matters is that if we win out we are going to Atlanta. An SEC Championship is my goal first and foremost every year. Rankings and bowl games don't really matter that much (unless it's the NC game).

I'm confident Auburn will beat Georgia, but I do expect it to be close. It should be a good game. Our schedule is a walk in the park, with the possible exception of South Carolina. I think we should win out, Georgia should fall to Auburn, and we should go to the SECC. Once there, I'm sort of skeptical about beating Auburn. :rocks:

I think we will end up in the top 10, without a doubt. There are many overrated teams ahead of us and they will show their true colors very soon. IMO

Don't forget that UF plays UGA this week and UF has owned them lately. The race to Atlanta could be over this week!

Originally posted by vol_freak@Oct 24, 2004 9:17 PM
Rankings and bowl games don't really matter that much (unless it's the NC game).

That's the best thing about the way things are shaping up. If we win out, it won't matter if we are ranked 5th or 25th in the BCS rankings. We'll be in a BCS bowl game. :pepper:

If Fla beats Georgia and then Georgia beats Auburn, and TN wins out, do you think that would help us the most in the polls with SOS. What do you think is the best case scenario? :question:

Okay, here's a comparison to last season.

The BCS rankings of 10/25/03 and how they finished:
1-Oklahoma (8-0) -- No. 1 (12-1)
2-Miami (7-0) -- No. 9 (10-2)
3-Fla St (7-1) -- No. 7 (10-2)
4-USC (7-1) -- No. 3 (11-1)
5-Georgia (7-1) -- No. 12 (10-3)
6-Ohio St (7-1) -- No. 5 (10-2)
7-LSU (7-1) -- No. 2 (12-1)
8-Wash St (7-1) -- No. 16 (9-3)
9-Nebraska (7-1) -- No. 20 (9-3)
10-Mich St (7-1) -- No. 31 (8-4)
11-Iowa (6-2) -- No. 13 (9-3)
12-TCU (8-0) -- No. 18 (11-1)

Of the top 12 teams in the 10/25/03 BCS rankings last season, USC and LSU were the only ones that did not lose a game the remainder of the season.

"if" the Vols win out, including the SECCG, they will be ranked at least in the top 5.

:twocents: My prediction: Fla beats GA and GA falls to #10. TN beats SC and moves up to #9. Next week TN beats ND, GA beats Auburn. TN moves up to #8 and GA moves to #9, Auburn moves down to #6. TN beats Auburn in SECCG and moves up to #5 and goes to the Sugar Bowl and plays Fla State or Utah. Vols win and end the season at #3 or #4.

it really boils down to 1 game...we meet Auburn again in the SEC title game and slam em....then if georgia and auburn for that matter are ranked ahead of the vols it just shows glaringly what idiots the poll voters are :rocks:

BCS Top 12 schedule for week of Oct. 30

1 Southern Cal @ Washington State
2 Oklahoma @ (20) Oklahoma State
3 Miami @ North Carolina
4 Auburn @ Ole Miss
5 Florida State @ Maryland
6 Utah @ San Diego State
7 Wisconsin vs OPEN DATE
8 California vs (21) Arizona State
9 Georgia vs Florida
10 Texas @ Colorado
11 Tennessee @ South Carolina
12 Michigan vs Michigan St

The top 5 teams are all on the road and 8 of the top 10 teams are on the road this weekend.

Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, California, Georgia, Texas and Michigan play teams that will be capable of beating them this weekend. I don't really think this bunch will be going 7-0 on Saturday.

If Tennessee beats South Carolina, I think they will move up to 9th in the AP and UE polls. This will only happen if some of the teams mentioned above lose. History shows that most likely 2 or 3 of them will lose this weekend.

If Georgia loses, they'll drop to about 14th. I don't think they'll stay in the top 10 if they lose to the Gators.

I don't know that I'd give Maryland the nod to beat ANYONE this year, let alone Miami... they just haven't shown much IMO. I Still think you're right, 2-3 teams in the top 10 lose this week.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Oct 26, 2004 2:16 PM
I don't know that I'd give Maryland the nod to beat ANYONE this year, let alone Miami... they just haven't shown much IMO. I Still think you're right, 2-3 teams in the top 10 lose this week.

I would not have thought that Syracuse nor Wake Forest would have had shots at beating Florida State either.... but Fla State just looks very beatable this year.

VN Store

Back