Vols 10 greatest comeback wins in school history

I think one of their best all time comeback games was the 2006 GA game. At half TN trailed 24-17 after GA roared out to an early 21-0 lead. TN completely shut down GA in the 2nd half outscoring GA 34-9 I’ve watched replays of that game several times. I was shocked at how they rallied....

I remember this game very fondly! I was at Talledega with several other UT alums, and we watched the game with several UGA fans in the campground. They were talking all kinds of smack the first half and during halftime. UT played the most complete half of football I can remember in the 3rd and 4th quarters on their way to hanging 51 on the Dawgs. That was an incredibly satisfying win considering the crap we endured

Why would a game where we proceeded to dominate from a one score deficit to lead the next 3 quarters fall under the category of a great “comeback win” though?

Because Miami scored first and Tennessee had to "comeback" from a 7 point deficit to win. Hence a comeback win and to those who recognize Tennessee played football prior to 1990 (unlike the author) was a great win.

A better title to this list would be Best 4th quarter comebacks that didn't occur too far back in time that I would have to do much research about.

We 'came back' from a 0-0 end of first quarter tie to open up a can of whoopazz on Coach Stevie's first visit as coach of da ga-ga-ga-tators. Woooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly!!!!

And to think one of those suspended players ended up playing pro ball and coaching college. Started out coaching in Tennessee.

1970 UCLA game in Knoxville when Curt Watson scored the late TD in the 4th quarter for the win. Also, 1970 against OOC opponent USC,jr. in Columbia. Bobby Scott kept bringing us back in a fist fight with us winning with less than a minute to go. That was only available on the radio with John Ward and Bill Anderson. Needless to say with the back and forth we had to turn the radio on and off several times to calm down. Most nerve racking game I ever experienced.

As far as comebacks go, the opponent, the stadium, and the deficit it has to be '91 Notre Dame. UT was getting crushed for the 1st 29:50 of the game. The FG block and return for a TD right before halftime completely changed the tone of the game.

As far as a comback that led to something bigger, Ark in '98...no doubt.

VN Store

Back