Vol Twitter Called Out

Especially if its Elliott...it could very well be because he's not been a HC...but it will be spun by ESPN and other media as racism
Exactly (see Cuonzo's exit as exhibit A). Not only this, but they need to realize if we hire CTE, several options most likely said no but he said yes.

Get behind whoever it is, give them a chance to succeed or fail THEN form an opinion.

Money talks, BS walks.......Tony Elliot would accept the job is offered regardless of what Vol Twitter thinks.....

So, if you hire a bad HC, then you'll hire someone else who was a HC. You if a former Coordinator, which 95% of all college HC were at some point, means you don't want any more Coordinators because Pruitt was bad? Makes no sense to be so shell shocked over one bad Coordinator hire.

Reactions: VolnJC
"While there are still complaints to be had about conservative play-calls, not taking advantage of running opportunities and not setting up plays for an open middle-of-the-field, the truth of the matter is that Elliott is a good coach."

The author's own words are reason enough to not hire Elliott.

Vol Twitter has every right to make themselves heard, if a potential coach gets his feelings hurt because of Vol Twitter, he doesnt need to come here anyway.....

This is why no one worth having or we would like to have won't come here. Being heard isn't about winning, its out whining.

1) I want a proven, Bama/GA/UF beating HC. Gus is available. Kiffin was about 2inches away from a big win over Bama. Freeze a stretch with sanctions. No offense, no pun intended, an OC as HC is been there done that.
2) Dooley and Jones failed the "big boy" test and were big fish in little ponds. Kirby leaving Bama for UGA is one clue. Mullen leaving Miss State for Florida another clue bird.
3) Pruitt was full of cornbread and just failed at HCing.

I am a alum. VFL, been there and supported VASF, attended a lot of games during the Majors and Fulmer years. We can get the T-rain back on the track with a solid and PROVEN HC. Not saying a project will not work but, we have been struggling with lesser coaches and teams for the last 20 years. Oh, I do not tweet. Probably a good thing these days.

So, if you hire a bad HC, then you'll hire someone else who was a HC. You if a former Coordinator, which 95% of all college HC were at some point, means you don't want any more Coordinators because Pruitt was bad? Makes no sense to be so shell shocked over one bad Coordinator hire.

How many coordinators turned HCs got their first HC job at a P5 school and were successful if they weren't promoted from the existing staff?

Yes, maybe I think Tennessee is too good for Tony Elliott.

Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here: maybe I think that I just spent the last 3 years watching a highly regarded, 2x National Champion coordinator completely blow it in his first shot as a head coach.

And maybe, just maybe, I don't want to replace him with another highly regarded, 2x National Champion coordinator.

I know that Tony Elliott will make a fine head coach some day. But now, with Tennessee? It's not the time.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
How many coordinators turned HCs got their first HC job at a P5 school and were successful if they weren't promoted from the existing staff?

Final jury is still a little bit out, but I’d have to call Kirby Smart “successful”.
Also Mullen.

Last edited:
Clemson is just salty that we have the better orange color.

They are ok with the colors as long as they can continue to sign the best players out of Tennessee each year....I remember when we used to sign the top talent out of SC...

Reactions: VolsSince78
Do you think a coach like Campbell, Fleck, or Franklin would leave a decent situation for what could be a possible career killer?
No but Herman, Gus or Bill O'Brien will .. all more equipped than an unknown guy (TE) who could end up being bust just coz the pressures at TN like JP. Tennessee is not place for on job training right now with NCAA hammer coming and 4 failed experiments. It needs stable and experienced head coach.

Tony Elliot might be a good HC at some point, but UT is not the place for him to learn how to be a HC.

We just went through a 3-year disaster of watching Pruitt try to learn on the job, why would anyone think that UT fans should want to do the same again for another three or more years?
Thats the most ridiculous thing on the planet. This is not Alabama football. This is Tennessee football. You get left with Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt when you push the narrative that you can have who you want. No. A coach deserves time. Especially a competent coach and especially a coach with a good plan. This program is not winning 10+ games every season. It just isn't. Those seasons are over. Tony Elliott is far better than anything White has a realistic shot at hiring. Make the hire and move on.

Yeah, poor us, such an awful job, no name recognition for the program, no fans, no money to pay the head coach...After all, who in his right mind would accept only six or seven million dollars a year to play in front of 100,000 fans every week regardless of how bad the team sucks? Who would want to try to recruit at a place where the mighty Derek Dooley and Butch Jones were only able to pull top-ten classes multiple times, because the average Wal-Mart cashier could recruit a top-ten class here?

Yeah, this job is so horrible - we should post it on indeed.com and hire the first person who applies, regardless of experience or qualifications.

We have maybe the most passionate fan base in the country...we also have alot of dumbazzes imo... truth is we are down right now, facing scholarship restrictions and probably a bowl ban, and have to face Florida, Georgia, and Alabama every year when they are on the rise or at the top. It's not as easy as throwing millions of dollars at a proven coach. We could have a very good team and still lose to those 3 and the fan base would be calling for that coach to be fired in year 2-3.....I'd be ecstatic to get Eliott or Fleck as head coach. Clemson football: Some Tennessee fans think they’re too good for Tony Elliott

I agree with your post 100% and spot on at passionate fan base but the DAF is beyond belief. Throwing money at the problem isn't going to solve the problem. The new coach has to pull existing players from the portal and hope we can keep kids we don't need to lose. But I'm afraid that ship has sailed and we are going to be thin at many key positions this upcoming season. Old saying that rings true, be careful what you wish for. The fan base will have to take ownership for what they wished on the university. As it was put, Pruitt goes 8-2 sanctions are a non issue. Passionate but FICKLE! While I respect their opinion, when it starts effecting the progress of the program, I'd just as soon love to see them become bandwagon BAMA FANS! TIFWIW

This job is too big for on the job training but an experienced coordinator could be successful here just like any other place. The problem is Tony Elliot isn't an experienced coordinator and neither was Pruitt.

I thought Pruitt was pretty experienced. Stops at Florida State, UGA, and Bama as a coordinator. Had success, but there were also some red flags that I (for one) mistakenly discounted - reports of him being a class-A jerk who rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. If you’re an abusive D-bag that is a big indicator that you are probably going to have difficulty in a CEO type of role (such as a HC of a major football program). Of course I don’t remember any indicators of Pruitt’s apparent lack of character, but oh well . . .

Gotta trust AD White to figure this one out.

This is why no one worth having or we would like to have won't come here. Being heard isn't about winning, its out whining.
Fans who spend their hard earned money to go to games and have their taxe dollars go to the state school have the right to voice their opinions. Coaches who cannot handle the twitterverse because of their fragile egos arent fit for a Power 5 job...

VN Store

Back