Vol RB Jeremy Banks Focusing on What’s Crucial..

I think Crouch will end up having a few legendary runs for the offense. Of course I hope he becomes the second coming of Al Wilson on defense.
A couple of huge 3rd down conversions?

I think Crouch will primarily be Jack or OLB.
Beasley may end up at RB.
I'm afraid he'll get ejected if he plays defense..

I ******* hate the targeting rules.
My biggest problem with the targeting rules is they are not equitable. If a running back lowers his helmet as a battering ram, and then a linebacker lowers his head at the same time and their helmets happened to hit each other, then the linebacker always gets the targeting call. That's just not right.

My biggest problem with the targeting rules is they are not equitable. If a running back lowers his helmet as a battering ram, and then a linebacker lowers his head at the same time and their helmets happened to hit each other, then the linebacker always gets the targeting call. That's just not right.

It's almost totally based off fan reaction towards a hit....and it takes the bite out of college defenses. It's ruining the game.

It's so geared toward offense now it's UNFAIR like you said. WRs are fearless going over the middle now.

It's almost totally based off fan reaction towards a hit....and it takes the bite out of college defenses. It's ruining the game.

It's so geared toward offense now it's UNFAIR like you said. WRs are fearless going over the middle now.
Something has to be done about the safety of the game otherwise it will soon cease to exist. But I think fairness has to come into play in the way that the rules are applied

Reactions: memtownvol
I don't think that's fair to Tiny. He became a genuinely good OT, his injuries just became too much of a burden. Not like Richmond at all.

Fair or not, Tiny "Joe Namathized" the Missouri game while at the UT. Then we lost and if I recall right, he played rather poorly as well. Some times a shut mouth is a better mouth no matter what Pepsodent or Colgate say.

Last edited:
Fair or not, Tiny "Joe Namathized" the Missouri game while at the UT. Then we lost and if I recall right, he played rather poorly as well. Some times a shut mouth is a better mouth no matter what Pepsodent or Colgate say.
When you see n OL quote in the newspaper is usually not a good thing. A big part of their job is to be unnoticed and anonymous. I guess I didn't notice Tiny running his mouth on that one

Last edited:
When you see n OL quote in the newspaper is usually not a good thing. A big part of their job is to be unnoticed and anonymous. I guess I didn't notice Tiny running his mouth on that one

What matters to me is we now have a RB making a promise and personal hope is he lives up to it.

Reactions: LittleVol
I think, with the LBs we now have, he is more needed at RB. If he can hold on to the ball, he will be a stud RB.
I think he can potentially have a bigger impact at LB, but ultimately, it’s where Pruitt thinks he helps most. I like the kid’s mentality and just think he needs to be on the field as much as possible unless we have other guys who are just better....which I strongly doubt. Guess we’ll see.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Shows me Pruitt is living rent free in his head about those fumbles. He just may have the opportunity to run the ball. When he picks up a fumble playing defense!

Shows me Pruitt is living rent free in his head about those fumbles. He just may have the opportunity to run the ball. When he picks up a fumble playing defense!

Banks won’t be playing defense. He will be playing running back. He is our only bruiser at the position. He also has soft hands and is a big target downfield as well.

I expect him to get a lot of carries this year. His fumbling woes will be fixed. I imagine at this point he is working on grip exercises every day.

I think he can potentially have a bigger impact at LB, but ultimately, it’s where Pruitt thinks he helps most. I like the kid’s mentality and just think he needs to be on the field as much as possible unless we have other guys who are just better....which I strongly doubt. Guess we’ll see.
Right now, I think he is needed more at RB than LB. As the year progresses, I expect the LB position to get stronger and stronger. If he can hang onto the ball, I think he will be an important part of the rinning game, especially inside the 10 yard line.

Last edited:

Frankly, I think things got out of hand when coaches stopped teaching wrapping up a ballcarrier. Then allowed defense players to play guided missile with their bodies with the intentional intent to make egoistic big hits. That's when it stopped being football and became AGM-114 Hellfire missile systems and WWE ambushes.

Everything we have at LB is purely on paper at the moment. Adding HT and Crouch looks great, should bear fruit, but you never know until you know. Same with Peterson.....we were all thrilled last year when he signed but he literally did nothing last year ....so you just don’t know until they start playing.

Linebacker was one of our weakest positions last year with DKJr, Ignont and Bituli, we need as much help as possible at that position. Curious to see if they do indeed let Banks play running back or if they go ahead and switch him over where we badly need help.
He's not going to play LB at 215 lbs and all indications are that he is not putting the weight on. Position group numbers matter and while the new LB core may all be young and unproven they are still much more skilled, experienced and bigger than Banks who's never played the position. He would be #5 at best at ILB and no chance he'd see the field at OLB this upcoming season. If he can hold onto the ball, which his tweet a few days ago suggests he's working on, then he will likely earn 3rd string carries this year. Just because Banks himself requested to play defense doesn't mean that CJP believes he's a prospect at lb. The linebackers group will be bigger faster stronger unit than last season's group and I suspect more productive. DL is the position group in need this upcoming season.

He's not going to play LB at 215 lbs and all indications are that he is not putting the weight on. Position group numbers matter and while the new LB core may all be young and unproven they are still much more skilled, experienced and bigger than Banks who's never played the position. He would be #5 at best at ILB and no chance he'd see the field at OLB this upcoming season. If he can hold onto the ball, which his tweet a few days ago suggests he's working on, then he will likely earn 3rd string carries this year. Just because Banks himself requested to play defense doesn't mean that CJP believes he's a prospect at lb. The linebackers group will be bigger faster stronger unit than last season's group and I suspect more productive. DL is the position group in need this upcoming season.

Banks was 223 his senior season. His frame could hold 230 to 240 and him not look fat.
I do agree he is 5th LB had he stayed there....

But he's talented enough to start there! There is so much that needs to shake out over the spring and summer.

Crouch 6'1" 240 4.6
Harrison 6'2" 240 4.6
To'oto'o 6'3" 230 4.6
Peterson 6'2" 235 4.6
Banks 6'1 215 4.5
Beasley 6'1 220 4.6

These are all guys that will create the "fear" in the opposition. I truly believe these listed players could play for ANY program.

Reactions: rgvol
He played at 6’1 210 last year iirc. Not exactly a jumbo sized running back. I’d personally like to see him move to defense because of his toughness and mentality. Plus, only so many touches he can get on offense with Chandler and Gray ahead of him....whereas if he can get in the LB rotation, he can potentially make more of an impact.

However, perhaps landing Henry and Crouch in this last class completely changed our LB dynamic and Jeremy now has the most value as a changeup RB. Will be interested to see how it plays out.

I don't think that's fair to Tiny. He became a genuinely good OT, his injuries just became too much of a burden. Not like Richmond at all.

Tiny Richardson was very good OT, someone must be mixed up

Banks was 223 his senior season. His frame could hold 230 to 240 and him not look fat.
I do agree he is 5th LB had he stayed there....

But he's talented enough to start there! There is so much that needs to shake out over the spring and summer.

Crouch 6'1" 240 4.6
Harrison 6'2" 240 4.6
To'oto'o 6'3" 230 4.6
Peterson 6'2" 235 4.6
Banks 6'1 215 4.5
Beasley 6'1 220 4.6

These are all guys that will create the "fear" in the opposition. I truly believe these listed players could play for ANY program.

Don’t forget many of the Vols 5* players end up looking like 2 or 3 star players for some strange reason

I like that he seems passionate and is clearly mentally preparing himself, but I am not sure I care for the bastardization of the Rifleman's Creed. Not getting on a soapbox, but I take that Creed seriously from experience. I am sure that he meant nothing by it, and may have even used it out of respect. But the comparison between football and combat are a little much.

Again, not too wrapped up with it and definitely not upset by it, but not exactly a fan. I hope he makes big moves and makes a big splash carrying the ball or at LB. GBO!!

I think Crouch will end up having a few legendary runs for the offense. Of course I hope he becomes the second coming of Al Wilson on defense.
I hope I live long enough to see another UT LB that was as mean as he was. I think AJ Johnson could have been his last year but we all know how that turned out.

I hope I live long enough to see another UT LB that was as mean as he was. I think AJ Johnson could have been his last year but we all know how that turned out.

Al had the talent and attitude for greatness at LB. AJ was a notch lower on the talent and attitude scale IMO. I liked him, but go back in the tapes and watch AJ responding on runs outside. You'll see shades of Colton Jumper, a UT LB often reaching getting there just a step or two late.

If opposing teams are aware of your shortcomings, they will focus on that. Teams know he is prone to fumbling, so they will key on that.
In basketball, weak free throw shooters are the ones that are preferred to be fouled.
In baseball, if it is known that you can't hit a curve ball, then you will see many curve balls thrown at you,.
In basketball, if you can't dribble left, then defenses will try to get you to go left.
If you are also aware of your weakness you can fix it

Al had the talent and attitude for greatness at LB. AJ was a notch lower on the talent and attitude scale IMO. I liked him, but go back in the tapes and watch AJ responding on runs outside. You'll see shades of Colton Jumper, a UT LB often reaching getting there just a step or two late.
You are right. With the right coach he may have made a change his last year but given what what ww know now, not a chance.

I prefer him at RB as well because he brings an element that our RB corps is lacking (with the caveat that he has to hold on the ball better).

However, he has the frame to bulk up to 230 or so. That would be plenty big enough to play LB so long as the instincts and play recognition are there. JRM was probably the best playmaker we’ve had at LB over the last 8-10 years (since Mayo, IMO) and he maxed out around 6’0 230.

VN Store

Back