Vol girl fans thread

Do you run/work in an antique store? Wish I’d known about you when I was trying to find an Empire bow-front dresser! (Too late now; I have a fake-modern Ethan Allen one picked up in a can’t-miss sale. ☹️)

Reactions: Vjcvette
^^^ That’s a really good point. Maybe she wants/ needs to start thinking out loud about this stuff, and these little comments are awkward invitations to you.

You’re a good twenty+ years behind me and my situation, but I can tell you that it’s really important for us parents as we get older to be able to bring up stuff like this, often at fantastically awkward times.
I try not to avoid it when I hear it. Usually make a joke bout it like I do with just about everything

Reactions: VolNExile
Do you run/work in an antique store? Wish I’d known about you when I was trying to find an Empire bow-front dresser! (Too late now; I have a fake-modern Ethan Allen one picked up in a can’t-miss sale. ☹️)
I sell everyday furniture, but we just recently got a few bombay chest from the 1900's and they are really beautiful, I don't have a picture of them but they are similar to this one.
19619062_master.jpg

Stop it with the sir friend girl :cool:. @VolNExile just got back in here today. She's cool too. She use to fly planes

**Edit - A lil late on the xcee intro
Well, I flew 1930’s-1940’s era taildraggers, most of which required throwing props, which explains the surgical scar on my right hand. (Cubs, Champs, Cessna 140.)

But I’m ADHD, claustrophobic, and not a fan of heights, so not exactly cut out for private aviation. I was mostly a Pattern Princess, flying off of the Sky Ranch, if you’re familiar with Knoxville flying venues.

And I still stomp all over the passenger footrests on aircraft, trying to add to the flight crew’s control efforts. 😁

Reactions: Guest and Vjcvette
Oh yeah, that was TOTALLY operator error!

Cessna 140’s had separate wing tanks that didn’t automatically switch over when one ran dry. So if you didn’t have the wit to understand what was happening, you could easily prat it in with a half fuel load available but unused.

I was a student pilot in my fiancé’s plane, and somehow I hadn't fully incorporated a scan of the fuel gauges into my preflight. When the engine quit about 50 feet AGL, I immediately tapped the tach dial. (Because that’s what you do, right?? Make that damn needle get back up there!!) We flew off an island airstrip, and I was over water by then. I had my seat belt snugged up, glasses off, and the door open, setting up for my best possible nose-up tail-dragger stall landing while preparing for a water landing and immediate flip upside down (preparatory to drowning), when I had this sudden image of once seeing my fiancé’s partner’s hairy arm turning a red handle on the panel. I did that, having no idea at the moment what that red handle was, and the engine roared back into life. It was the fuel tank selector handle. That 140 obviously wanted to live as much as I did. Maybe I’d been taught that, but I sure don’t remember it. All I know is that I will forever have a deep and abiding love for gravity-fed fuel tanks and high-winged aircraft in general.

The worst part is that it occurred on the meeting night of our flying club, and everyone heard it. They had the boat out by the time I got it together. How humiliating to have 60 or so witnesses! And I was reminded about it for years afterwards.

Motto: don’t take flying lessons from someone you’re romantically involved with. You may or may not retain stuff you’re taught, and you may or may not have been taught it in the first place.

My favorite flying story

Reactions: VolNExile
that is really something to fly and have a fear of heights, props to you for that......no pun intended ;)
I’m all about 1,000 AGL! And lol at the “props” - my right hand still hurts when the weather changes.

To this day, when flying on a commercial airliner, I still look for emergency landing spots. 🤪 Pellissippi Parkway used to be my bestest friend.

Really, if I’d had the money, which I certainly didn’t, I’d have gotten my float-plane license and happily puttered along within gliding distance of any decently-sized body of water.

So a way-overdue question: are you a pilot, and if so, how and what do you like to fly?

I’m all about 1,000 AGL! And lol at the “props” - my right hand still hurts when the weather changes.

To this day, when flying on a commercial airliner, I still look for emergency landing spots. 🤪 Pellissippi Parkway used to be my bestest friend.

Really, if I’d had the money, which I certainly didn’t, I’d have gotten my float-plane license and happily puttered along within gliding distance of any decently-sized body of water.

So a way-overdue question: are you a pilot, and if so, how and what do you like to fly?

No I am not a pilot, my Dad was a fighter pilot and this was the last jet that he flew when we were stationed in Hawaii, it was a TA4-F and then after he retired he had a few Bonanza's and
a mustang racer

Attachments

• Dads Jet.jpg
    Dads Jet.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 4
My favorite flying story
My God, how did you pull that up?? Half the time I can’t find whatever I posted yesterday.

I don’t think I (hope I didn’t) post the tale of my long cross-country, including my grim determination to land at Rome GA with a non-functioning radio in the face of endless commercial GA aircraft, including flying repeated 360’s on final, determined to get that mofo on the ground. Somehow I succeeded (and wasn’t arrested), flew on to Smyrna, and landed back at the Ranch. I literally kissed the ground. My future husband (at that time; I have upgraded to a newer model - for cause) says to this day that he’d never had a student so enraged. 1601091147941.gif

Reactions: Guest and Vjcvette
No I am not a pilot, my Dad was a fighter pilot and this was the last jet that he flew when we were stationed in Hawaii, it was a TA4-F and then after he retired he had a few Bonanza's and
a mustang racer
OMG! Where were you in Hawaii and when?? We were on Fort Kam(ehameha) when my dad was chief of surgery at Tripler. 1967-1972

And he had a Mustang? An honest-to-God Mustang? Holy God. Husband #1 and I went to Oshkosh and Lakeland all the time, and there is nothing like the sound of a Mustang. And a Spitfire. And a P-41. And anything with radial engines.

We were at Barber's Point Naval Air Station on Oahu, he was Commander of that base in 1974 and 1975. He has told me a few stories that were scary to me, one was when he was in Vietnam and his fuel tank would not switch
over, so he was out of fuel going over Hanoi so he flew at 75ft above ground to avoid the SAMS and then his plan was to go to 20,000 ft and eject and when he radioed his plans a fuel tanker heard him and came and refueled
him and it just happened to be someone that he had been to flight school with, so that was a miracle. Here are a few pictures of the planes he had after he retired.

Attachments

• Me Chip and Dad on plane.jpg
    Me Chip and Dad on plane.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 8
  • Dad's Jet4.jpg
    Dad's Jet4.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
My God, how did you pull that up?? Half the time I can’t find whatever I posted yesterday.

I don’t think I (hope I didn’t) post the tale of my long cross-country, including my grim determination to land at Rome GA with a non-functioning radio in the face of endless commercial GA aircraft, including flying repeated 360’s on final, determined to get that mofo on the ground. Somehow I succeeded (and wasn’t arrested), flew on to Smyrna, and landed back at the Ranch. I literally kissed the ground. My future husband (at that time; I have upgraded to a newer model - for cause) says to this day that he’d never had a student so enraged. View attachment 309179
Found it easy with the search with "flying over water" & your name. Can usually remember things posted about aviation.

Volly said it best bout you

You are absolutely the most interesting person here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Where were you in Hawaii and when?? We were on Fort Kam(ehameha) when my dad was chief of surgery at Tripler. 1967-1972

And he had a Mustang? An honest-to-God Mustang? Holy God. Husband #1 and I went to Oshkosh and Lakeland all the time, and there is nothing like the sound of a Mustang. And a Spitfire. And a P-41. And anything with radial engines.
Ok I have to hit the hay soon, have to work in the morning, but it was such a pleasure to meet you and have a good evening!

We were at Barber's Point Naval Air Station on Oahu, he was Commander of that base in 1974 and 1975. He has told me a few stories that were scary to me, one was when he was in Vietnam and his fuel tank would not switch
over, so he was out of fuel going over Hanoi so he flew at 75ft above ground to avoid the SAMS and then his plan was to go to 20,000 ft and eject and when he radioed his plans a fuel tanker heard him and came and refueled
him and it just happened to be someone that he had been to flight school with, so that was a miracle. Here are a few pictures of the planes he had after he retired.
look at those beautiful aircraft!! And God bless the tanker guys. They kept a lot of folks alive. I used to see them flying around, with their tanker booms dangling below, and as loud as they were, I was always happy to see them. KC-135’s?

Old fart rambley stuff:

Fort Kam was under the flight paths of Barber’s Point NAS, Hickam AFB, and Honolulu International. Many of the rooms in our houses didn’t have glass windows, only screens (the “lanai’s”), and visitors were known to dive to the floor when aircraft took off and landed. It really did sound like they were coming through the ceiling. We just waited it out, missing whatever was on TV, while the guests were in hysterics. The most exciting were the military jets taking off with afterburners. There was an incredible roar, and then suddenly complete silence, I guess before the regular engines kicked in. The complete silence was “interesting”. We got used to it, but our guests never did.

The father of my first husband (the pilot) was a Navy officer training to be an LSO (landing signal officer.) He was a student pilot in an SNJ (T-6 to you Air Force pretty boys) at Pensacola in 1949 when they crashed on landing and he was killed, when DH#1 was nine months old.

My other near miss with the Navy was when the USS Enterprise caught fire off Oahu in January 1969 after a Phantom’s rockets exploded. About the time that I got home from school, it was limping into Pearl Harbor pretty much in our back yard. Daddy was in charge of the medical response, and I still have his notebooks with the casualty records. We didn’t see him for a couple three days afterwards.

Otherwise, Daddy’s non-Tripler duties included being the medical officer for Apollo capsules on Pacific splashdowns. Plus some unpleasant Viet Nam emergency medical stuff.

Edit: the Mercury and Apollo missions were in the Atlantic, before he was transferred to Hawaii.

Last edited:
Who is Chip ? From My 3 Sons ? Fighter pilots were the bravest of wartime soldiers imo

Reactions: Vjcvette
Nobody wants to hear that but we still do. Take your mom's approach when she says something like that. When I hear it, I ask them where their going. H & Exile made some good true points
I'm not going to keep going in circles when you guys weren't there. We already know where they were going on the trip and when it was rescheduled to. Again, you aren't going to see my family have a group discussion about these things more than once. We already know their thoughts and desires for their future. My brother changed the conversation immediately. If it wasn't going to be him, it would have been my sister or someone else on the zoom call. Not appropriate anyways with grandchildren around listening.

I'm not going to keep going in circles when you guys weren't there. We already know where they were going on the trip and when it was rescheduled to. Again, you aren't going to see my family have a group discussion about these things more than once. We already know their thoughts and desires for their future. My brother changed the conversation immediately. If it wasn't going to be him, it would have been my sister or someone else on the zoom call. Not appropriate anyways with grandchildren around listening.
You're right & I apologize for offending you

VN Store

Back