VN's very own political meme thread...

EsnChJWW8AIyLI3

We own a property in the OBX and we received a property notice we must file with Dare County, NC. One of the questions was if we rented our place out furnished or unfurnished. If you check furnished, there is a statement that the furnishings are taxable. Well, I'm pretty sure I paid sales tax on the items to furnish it with. WTF!
North and South Carolina both are tax happy on all personal and secondary property. and if you own a "luxury" brand car, the wheel tax is even higher. We pay $69 a year for car tags where we live in TN. That's it. Brand new or 40 years old. $69 period. No tags on personal or boat trailers. Just a very reasonable registration fee. No personal property and luxury taxes on boats, extra vehicles, extra properties like the carolinas do. No state income tax. No $8 cans of dip like FL. Outside of rent prices in Nashville, it's a very affordable state. In GA, we had a wheel tax, and tag fee annually. A new vehicle will run you upwards of $300 plus annually and reduces each year.

Reactions: Boca Vol
North and South Carolina both are tax happy on all personal and secondary property. and if you own a "luxury" brand car, the wheel tax is even higher. We pay $69 a year for car tags where we live in TN. That's it. Brand new or 40 years old. $69 period. No tags on personal or boat trailers. Just a very reasonable registration fee. No personal property and luxury taxes on boats, extra vehicles, extra properties like the carolinas do. No state income tax. No $8 cans of dip like FL. Outside of rent prices in Nashville, it's a very affordable state. In GA, we had a wheel tax, and tag fee annually. A new vehicle will run you upwards of $300 plus annually and reduces each year.

I remember the taxes when I lived in the Carolinas. The car tag tax was crazy! We bought the OBX place in late '19. This is the 1st year of getting the full dose!!!!

I remember the taxes when I lived in the Carolinas. The car tag tax was crazy! We bought the OBX place in late '19. This is the 1st year of getting the full dose!!!!

I was just across the state line in GA up by Anderson. Taxes weren't as bad as SC, but having friends over the line, we heard a lot. TN is by far the best tax friendly state I've been. I have to wonder though, since you've always had reasonable and un-stupid posts lending one to believe you are not an idiot, how did you once live in the Carolinas, and not know you were going to get the fully tax monty. lol. If, I had the money, I would make an exception for the OBX. But taxing the furniture in a rental, after you've already incurred sales tax?? That's ludicrous. I have absolutely never heard of that anywhere.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I was just across the state line in GA up by Anderson. Taxes weren't as bad as SC, but having friends over the line, we heard a lot. TN is by far the best tax friendly state I've been. I have to wonder though, since you've always had reasonable and un-stupid posts lending one to believe you are not an idiot, how did you once live in the Carolinas, and not know you were going to get the fully tax monty. lol. If, I had the money, I would make an exception for the OBX. But taxing the furniture in a rental, after you've already incurred sales tax?? That's ludicrous. I have absolutely never heard of that anywhere.

Thank you for the kind words. I never owned in the Carolinas. Honestly, the RE taxes are very low compared to FL so I really didn't deep dive into it until my wife put the notice on my desk. I just happened to read through it, and the part about the furnishings stuck out. I just thought it was odd.

VN Store

Back