VN Opinion: Do we get to 6 wins?

I'll say I'm seeing 6 wins if the Volunteers can win 5 games before the Vanderbilt game, otherwise losing the 2 winnable games BYU and Georgia State might be dreadful because if the Volunteers finish with 4 or 5 wins those could be the reasons why the Volunteers don't win 6 games or above 6 games.

Missouri has a effective high scoring offense, Kentucky is likely to be tough to win at Kentucky, etc.

Yes. I think a lot of it will depend on if we lose some more key players to injury. If no major injuries, I could see 7-5 as a possibility. Maybe I’m just feeling extra good after the win, but we seem to be making good strides on both sides of the ball and getting contributions from new guys each week. I think having the bye week before the Mizzou game could be a huge benefit.

The only problem I had today with Chaney's playcalling was with what he called in the red zone with a freshman QB. Would have liked to have seen more runs, screen passes, or short and quick passing game. Going immediately for the TD with an inexperienced freshman QB was a mistake IMO. Regardless, it was Maurer who made the terrible decisions/passes.

And if Chaney had Maurer hand off to a RB in the Red Zone without a good result, wouldn't you be complaining that he did not let Maurer use his great arm? Does complaining make you feel knowledgeable and smart? You might want to rethink that, because it does not make you look that way. Believe me. Same is true for all the other mopes who are doing the same thing on the regular. jmho

7-5 would be great but that's very unlikely, my guess would be 5-7 but 6-6 is in reach just depends which team shows up. The byu and ga state fiascos really put a damper on things bowl related

Just as simple as the title states, do you personally see us getting to at least 6 wins given the rest of our schedule? If so, what are the games on the schedule that you see us willing to put us at 6+ wins?
Not this year, and I recognize this is a $hTy year, but hopefully we are thinking towards the future. It wasn't realistic to think that a new coach in the situation he came into, to have winning seasons until he has loaded his team. I'll bet we are in a bowl game in 2020!

Yes you will get to 6 wins.

Kirby smart lost to South Carolina at home when South Carolina had their third string Quarterback.
Idk where people are getting that Hilinski was a 3rd string qb. He was immediately named the starter when Bentley went down. Nevertheless he’s one of the nations best in his class. Dude is no chump

4 to 7 wins is the realistic range, as of this evening.

Which is quite the improvement, given that most people were thinking 2 to 4 wins just last Sunday.

The defense that won the game today is vastly improved over the defense that did its share in losing to Ga State week 1.

The offense isn't much improved...yet. Maurer, for all the excitement he brings, is still a freshman making freshman mistakes (like throwing into double coverage). As we saw today, there's a real cost, in points, to those mistakes. Has to mature and learn. [on the flip side, the OL, much maligned the past few years, is finally getting up to SEC caliber--they won't look it next weekend against Bama, but they're getting there].

So...where our defense can carry us, we can win. That might include South Carolina, now that they're on their 3rd string QB (and we get them soon). That might include Vandy and Kentucky. It should include UAB. Might not include Mizzou, though, they're scoring in the high-30s per game.

So give us losses to Bama and maybe Mizzou, wins over UAB and 2 of the other 3 (USCe-Vandy-Kentucky), and that puts us around 5-7 or maybe 6-6.

That's what it looks like to me at the moment. If I were forced to bet, I'd bet against getting to a bowl this year. But it's a very close thing.

If we continue to improve faster than our peers, though...i reserve the right to change this opinion in three weeks, heh.

Go Vols!

I like this post and your way of analyzing it. I agree. I think we will lose to Bama and maybe Mizzou, but the others could be a win. Not guaranteeing it but I think that's they way they should go.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
If we take care of the ball against south Carolina, I expect to beat them, particularly if they still have their third string QB in there. UAB is decent, but I don't think they're better than Mississippi state. Bama and Missouri look like losses. Vandy is terrible, so I expect a win there. They're the worst team we have left to play. Kentucky will be tough enough, but depends if their QB is healthy by that point. A WR at QB couldn't possibly work twice against us.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Missouri and Carolina will be tough.

The VFL in me says yes after the crap that's gone down this season, however this post is spot on. Need our team to continue to progress and play for each other. If this happens our guys can take the next step.

The only problem I had today with Chaney's playcalling was with what he called in the red zone with a freshman QB. Would have liked to have seen more runs, screen passes, or short and quick passing game. Going immediately for the TD with an inexperienced freshman QB was a mistake IMO. Regardless, it was Maurer who made the terrible decisions/passes.

It's very difficult in that our margin for error is so small. Hopefully these are things Maurer can and will learn from.

Idk where people are getting that Hilinski was a 3rd string qb. He was immediately named the starter when Bentley went down. Nevertheless he’s one of the nations best in his class. Dude is no chump
He got hurt in the second quarter and they beat Georgia with some QB I've never heard of.

Just as simple as the title states, do you personally see us getting to at least 6 wins given the rest of our schedule? If so, what are the games on the schedule that you see us willing to put us at 6+ wins?

Polls work. Use them. 92.4% of VN members do!!

SCar, UAB, Kentucky and Vandy. 6-6.

VN Store

Back