VINYL AND TURNTABLE TALK

bignewt

The Scoffer Kid
Lab Rat
If you love the rich sound of a needle on wax, this is the place to discuss. I just got a bunch of new vinyl the other day, I am sucker for the artwork and the multicolor discs you can get ahold of. I have about 100-120 records in my collection right now. I have found that a site called acousticsounds.com had a lot of hard to find records. My turntable is a Denon DP-300, nothing too fancy but gets the job done. Got anything cool/rare in your collection? Got a bad ass system?

Reactions: KnoxLandcruiser
I don’t have a great table, but I bought a really nice set of Klipsch speakers earlier this year. Those that follow my snobbish country music likes in the country music thread will know I have a lot of that on vinyl. I have lots of 70s rock, James Taylor, Norah Jones, and I’m growing my 90s grunge and alternative collection.

I’d have to say Jason Isbell is my favorite to listen to on vinyl

Cool thread! I have a Yamaha D6 turntable that I've had since high school. I use a Polk Omni play-fi device now as the tuner...it's wifi and takes up much less space than the traditional tuner. My albums are all over the place...Stones, Allman Bros, 80's stuff like J Geils Band and Men Without Hats, Police, Fleetwood Mac and Genisis...old country like Don Williams and I have a lot of old blues albums. Also some Marshall Tucker...and Grateful Dead and Floyd. The cool thing about albums is if you're lazy like me it'll expose you to sings you'd likely skip. Then you realize there's good stuff on the B sides. The blues albums are what I'm drawn to lately. That type of album I find I'm not locked into an individual song at all and just enjoy the whole album.

Full disclosure I find myself not using the turntable muchl in the summer but quite frequently in the winter. Maybe because it's dark earlier? Glass of wine and music in the background while I cook. Summer is beer and radio or beer and podcast while I cook. Winter time I probably spin an album 3-4 times a week. Also have my mom's Christmas albums which drives my wife crazy...Glen Campbell, The Lettermen, Elvis, etc. Er'body did a Christmas album back then!

On a side note I had an awesome high end Yamaha tuner that was from the 70's and in spectacular condition that my wife accidentally "watered" while attending to a plant that was sitting on it. I replaced that with a decent Kenwood unit but the Polk sounds great and fits the space better.

Technics SL-Q350 that I have had since the mid 90’s.

Wide variety on vinyl. Heavy on classic rock, Jazz and decent amount of punk and post punk. All Zep albums, pretty deep on Dylan, Neil Young, Booker T & M.G.’s The Who, Pink Floyd. Even have 3 early Steve Martin comedy albums.

Record store in Atlanta area has boxes of records $30.00 for 100 ..you don’t know what’s in the boxes until you get it home and open it..most of them late 70’s and before. Even got some 78’s from early 40’s. Wife bought me 3 boxes so out of 300 got about 100 me or wife will listen to.
Was a lot of fun going through them all, may get another box or so

Technics SL-Q350 that I have had since the mid 90’s.

Wide variety on vinyl. Heavy on classic rock, Jazz and decent amount of punk and post punk. All Zep albums, pretty deep on Dylan, Neil Young, Booker T & M.G.’s The Who, Pink Floyd. Even have 3 early Steve Martin comedy albums.
Well you have to have some Al Jarreau, Marvin Gaye, Etta James and the list can be endless really, everything from Rock to Southern Rock to Jazz to R & B and Funk. I used to have a large album collection, but now I have
a large CD and actually cassette tape collection lol, that have just accumulated through the years.

Never heard of William DeVaughn before....wow that's a very very smooooth track. Reminds me of an Outkast song but I'm too lazy to try to find which one..."diggin the scene wit a gangsta lean"

edit - it's West Savannah

283456796037.jpg

If you love the rich sound of a needle on wax, this is the place to discuss. I just got a bunch of new vinyl the other day, I am sucker for the artwork and the multicolor discs you can get ahold of. I have about 100-120 records in my collection right now. I have found that a site called acousticsounds.com had a lot of hard to find records. My turntable is a Denon DP-300, nothing too fancy but gets the job done. Got anything cool/rare in your collection? Got a bad ass system?

I just got back into vinyl about 5 years ago. I bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable along with a Cambridge Audio pre-amp. I have it running through my home theater which is a Sony 7.1 Dolby Atmos receiver with Polk Audio bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. I love my set up and it sounds absolutely amazing but I'm kind of regretting not getting a turntable with an auto return. I have a tendency to forget the player is still going sometimes at the end of the record.

Regarding my vinyl collection, I don't really have anything terribly rare but some of my favorites in my collection are...

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (seriously, this record belongs in any vinyl enthusiast's collection! It sounds absolutely amazing!)
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell (original pressing)
KISS - Destroyer (2014 Reissue)
KISS - Alive! (2014 Reissue)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (reissue)
Led Zeppelin - IV (remastered/resissued)
Led Zeppelin - III (remastered/reissued)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (reissue)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (reissue)
Metallica - The Black Album (reissue)
Rush - 2112 (reissue)
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love (reissue)
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (reissue)
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls (original pressing)
Billy Joel - Innocent Man (original pressing)
Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (reissue)

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr and bignewt
I had to return my A Momentary Lapse of Reason LP, it was a bad pressing it looked like, new one on its way. I have White Stripes Icky Thump, Dr. John Locked Down and Old Crow Medicine Show Greatest Hits arriving Monday.

somewhere under all this crap is a Marantz 2216 receiver, a Pioneer PL-518 turntable, and a Sony dual cassette deck. Nearby are a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers. With all the shite that's accumulated on this setup, I obviously cannot use it so I listen to records on a Crosley take-a-long record player that tethers to a bluetooth speaker so it sounds a little less shittey.
P1720224.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: vols72
There is nothing like the sound of records,the pops,hisses. Its the way music was designed to be. Oh and who remembers having to put a coin on the arm to keep it from skipping. Showing my age now lol

Reactions: Vjcvette
There is nothing like the sound of records,the pops,hisses. Its the way music was designed to be. Oh and who remembers having to put a coin on the arm to keep it from skipping. Showing my age now lol
You can get into a decent one for around $300 if you have a system to plug it into.

Reactions: vols72 and Vjcvette
My needle gave up from all the spinning I've been doing lately just bought a replacement stylus I hope it fits.

VN Store

Back