Vintage Spirits (Bourbon) Brokers?

TennesseeTarheel

Sorry, but, this IS my day job.
My elderly next door neighbor came by yesterday and gave me a bottle of fine bourbon. She actually thought it was scotch. Her interest in it was so slight she hadn't really looked at the bottle. When I finally got around to checking it out, it appeared aged. In fact, the bottle of Very Old Fitzgerald was barreled in 1951 and bottled in 1959. Googling this bottle, I was surprised to see some people asking about $5,000 for a bottle! I was shocked. So, Mary obviously didn't know what she had. We plan to give it back to her OR help her sell it to a broker. I received an offer from "rarebourbonbuyers.com" of $1,750, which seems low if folks are getting 5K for it. I am doing the google thing to try to find brokers, but, I thought I would check out VN to see if any of you good folks had any suggestions. Mary is in her late 80's (still can outwork me in the yard) and her veteran husband is in his nineties and suffers from alzheimer's. I would like to get them them the most $$$ I can. Photos attached. Note, the little neck tag is still present. image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Found one that sold at auction in 2018 for around 1500. The whiskey exchange has one in stock for about 3600 right now. The price of of whiskey is up right now for the most part, 5k might still be a bit high from what I’m seeing, but 2500 would probably be realistic. The whiskey exchange I mentioned earlier will give you a free valuation and make an offer on it if you want to try them.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
There’s some Facebook groups that can help with a valuation. If you’re looking to get maximum cash, I’d suggest finding someone who is plugged into the bourbon secondary market as you will likely receive more money that way and not have to deal with broker fee’s.

Of course the legality and ethical concerns over this are up to you.

Wow...great neighbor she is, but I'd have to say you're an even better one! Thank you for restoring some faith in humanity in such a world we live in now. Much respect to you my friend!

I have contacted several brokers and top bid is 2k so far. This is pretty exciting, i must say!

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions!

So, to wrap up the story. I got a high bid of $2200. But that would have involved shipping, which might have been fine, but, the past couple of months I have seen a lot of issues with carriers. So, I accepted a bid of 2k and I had to drive to High Point to close. (100 miles). Mary was so happy to receive the money she gave me half and told me what a nice boy I am. 😁 All in all, it was a fun experience. But, I never got to taste that, presumably, delicious bourbon.

That is very cool. Several years ago I bought some hooch from the former home of this man Art Hancock
35FACE59-FDAB-425D-82B0-058B645CE81B.jpeg
Being a JD man, he had a few oddball Brown and Forman items, like this jug of Lynchburg Lemonade, which I assume was never meant resale. Given the color and sediment in there, I have no clue it is original contents and I sure as hell would not test a swig.
D9FC315E-BE60-49D1-BE17-83552526063F.jpeg2C4C69D4-C32A-4255-86E9-04051BD52E39.jpeg

Also from Art, I got this bottle. It’s still sealed and presumably bourbon, but the labels don’t seem like retail packaging labels and the front label even came unglued and fell off. Maybe it’s nothing, maybe it’s a gem. I’ll probably crack it open one day.
A69ECD25-8CAC-4274-AEC0-E1E5287C0A0A.jpeg3565BD7E-F72D-4DE8-A9F8-CB45F228A273.jpeg5BFA728E-A5EA-472C-9DF6-8824155DBB26.jpeg

edit to add that I suspect this is something they gave Brown & Forman people at the Woodford Reserve distillery when it was getting up and going.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back