Vincent Smith

Michigan's offer: Check.

Tennessee's: Check.

University of Miami, Florida, Florida State: Well, not so fast.

It seems not every big-time school is interested in small-but-productive Pahokee running back Vincent Smith. Particularly those in his home state.

''Because I'm from Florida, all the schools from Florida I've been [a big fan of] since I was little,'' said Smith, who has a handful of offers -- but none from the Sunshine State. ``So it's a little devastating about them overlooking me.

``But I'm all right.''

Indeed he is. Smith might come up short, height-wise (he lists himself at 5-9, although some have him at 5-7), but not in many other places.

His 40-yard dash time -- the high 4.3-range and dropping, he says -- is stellar.

TOP NATIONAL RANKING

His production -- more than 1,000 yards rushing last season -- helped lead the Blue Devils to the 2B state championship and USA Today's No. 6 national ranking.

And then there's his build, which Thompson simply called ``that spread-offense body.''

Small but powerful, Smith projects as the prototypical player for the offensive system that has grown from obscurity into a flat-out trend -- even permeating Michigan's Maize and Blue after the school hired former West Virginia coach and spread-offense guru Rich Rodriguez this offseason.

The aptly named system spreads four or sometimes five wide receivers across the field, requiring its running back to be quick and shifty between the tackles -- almost always without the help of a lead-blocking fullback -- plus show the ability to step into the secondary and grab a pass, sometimes out of the slot.

In other words, it's a perfect fit for Smith.

''He can do a lot,'' Pahokee quarterback-to-be Nu'Keese Richardson said, ``as far as catching it out [of] the backfield, making guys miss and stuff like that.''

Added coach Blaze Thompson: ``When he goes to camps, he'll go from wide receiver to running back, wide receiver to running back.

``He runs great routes, and he's powerful.''

Of course, on the other side, such a situation might keep some schools from looking at him -- which seems to be happening with Smith's home-state schools.

Thompson also said other Florida colleges already have commitments or serious interest from similar players, leaving no room on their rosters for another shifty-type back.

SOME MOTIVATION

Still, Smith said the in-state snubs are providing him ''a lot of motivation.'' And it's not as if he is without confidence. The offers he has received tell Smith that there is a place -- perhaps even a high-profile one -- for him on the college level.

''[When I got] my first offer from Michigan,'' Smith said, ``I knew then I was going to be good.''

How good? That's to be determined. Smith said he will visit Michigan, Tennessee and Minnesota in one swing this summer, the first time he has been to any of those campuses.

He hopes to pick one of those -- or another school -- soon after. Whichever his running back chooses, Thompson said, it should be a good fit.

''If somebody puts him in the spread offense,'' Thompson said, ``he'll be successful.''

In the class of 2009, Michigan has already received a verbal commitment from Apopka, Fla., athlete Jeremy Gallon, and is in position to receive several more. Among the strongest possibilities are Pahokee, Fla., teammates Vincent Smith and Brandin Hawthorne. Both prospects are set to announce their commitments at Pahokee’s Kickoff Classic game Aug. 30.

Michigan set a precedent at Pahokee when they signed wide receiver Martavious Odoms from that school in the 2008 class. His pledge helped fix his teammates eyes on the Maize and Blue and now both could be joining him in Ann Arbor in 2009.

FlaVarsity.com publisher Michael Langston, who has covered both Pahokee prospects’ careers the past few years, feels Michigan is the team that has the best chance to land both players.

“With Vincent, it’s the ties there, how he would fit into the system and the fact that Michigan offered him first,” Langston said. “With Brandin, he feels comfortable with that staff and feels he can come right in and play linebacker or whatever position they are going to play him. There’s no guarantees, but those are reasons why I think those two will pick Michigan.”

Smith, a 5-foot-7, 159-pound running back prospect with explosive speed and jaw-dropping agility, also holds offers from the likes of Tennessee, Iowa State, Wisconsin and Minnesota, but has consistently listed Michigan among his favorites.

Hawthorne, at 6-1, 196 pounds, played defensive end as a junior, but projects to the outside linebacker position in college. Besides Michigan, Hawthorne has offers from the likes of Tennessee, West Virginia, South Florida and Louisville.

Hawthorne said Monday that his decision will come down to Michigan, West Virginia and South Florida, but he also predicted that he and Smith would be playing together in college. Michigan is the one school remaining on both prospects’ lists, so the writing appears to be on the wall.

“What stands out (about Michigan) is playing in front of those 100,000-plus fans,” Hawthorne said.

200BRANDONHAWTHORNE_4_24_08.JPG
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
Linebacker Brandin Hawthorne will make his announcement along with Smith this week

A 5-7, 159-pound running back prospect, Smith said he will decide between two schools – Michigan and Tennessee – and he still does not know who the choice will be.

Rivals.com ranks Smith as the No. 60 running back prospect in the country. As a junior he accumulated over 1,300 yards and scored 14 touchdowns.

looks like Michigan:

Outside linebacker Brandin Hawthorne and running back Vincent Smith, both from Pahokee, Fla., are expected to commit to the Wolverines Friday at a 3 P.M. press conference, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Tennessee is the other finalist for Smith

VN Store

Back