Vince Dooley discusses UGA/UT schedule change

Honest question.....why?
Do you enjoy watching us lose?
Knowing we will lose?
Maybe things will change and we can go back to beating them 7 years in a row again but lately it’s just not been any fun.

TSiO is a special time for me.

Ain't hardly anyone beating them and I haven't heard them crying.

They have been 1 of 4 to 8 teams beating our ass the past 10 years and Florida keeps us out of Atlanta more than Bama does, let's cry and see if we can just drop them. Vandy and SC have hurt my feelers more than Alabama has the last few years.

If I had my way it wouldn't even be allowed to be discussed. You'd be banned for asking such a dumb querstion.

Derek was an idiot but Vince was one of the best in-game coaches I ever saw. Georgia back then wasn't what they are now, they didn't have a talent edge most years, year in and year out he beat better teams with less, usually Florida.

9 game SEC schedule is the solution. No reason to drop cross-division rivals.
Don’t think they’ll ever go to 9 conference games....no reason to do it, since the SEC is getting a team or two into the playoffs and national title game pretty much every year. According to Tony Barnhardt, just no appetite for it from SEC coaches and ADs outside of Saban. Don’t believe it’ll ever happen.

Yea well we already have at least 1 before them with Florida so, not sure what you even mean.

Florida typically doesnt make us look like a middle school team when playing them. Saban usually takes it easy on us. If he wanted to, he could easily beat us by 5-6 TDs every year. UF isn't nearly that good. Plus, especially in the more recent years, we have beaten ourselves more than UF has beaten us.

So why not just take the one sure fire automatic loss off the schedule?

To me, it’s simply a matter of wanting to see Tennessee successful - that means first of all winning the East, and then after that, hopefully the SEC championship game. Yes, there’s tradition, but bottom line is that Tennessee is considered successful if they reach the SEC championship game and beyond.

ANYTHING that gets in the way of accomplishing that goal is counterproductive to Tennessee’s success. Therefore, I’m completely at peace with settling for meeting the Bubbas annually in the SEC championship game IF THEY MAKE IT.

If they don’t, I’d be completely happy to have them sit at home and watch us play.

PERIOD.

There is zero chance the SEC goes to 9 games. Zero.

There is a good chance that at least one of the conferences that currently plays 9 games will announce they are moving back to 8 in the next two years.

Out of curiousity, about which one would you feel that to be the case?

Florida typically doesnt make us look like a middle school team when playing them. Saban usually takes it easy on us. If he wanted to, he could easily beat us by 5-6 TDs every year. UF isn't nearly that good. Plus, especially in the more recent years, we have beaten ourselves more than UF has beaten us.

So why not just take the one sure fire automatic loss off the schedule?

Yea, that first sentence reeks of fear. I think its dumb to lose to Florida 13 out of 14 years and have been a major obstacle in getting to Atlanta in the past, and you want to drop Alabama because you're scared.

How many times has a loss to Alabama hurt us, other than just being a loss, in the past 10 years?

Reactions: hog88 and jakez4ut
I didn't like it when we dropped Auburn cause of the divisions.

With a 12 game schedule now, you can get more matchups we couldn't before.

I'm a traditionalist at heart, but we can rotate fast enough that I don't think I'd mind dropping anyone from the schedule..

None of the changes would result in permanent changes, like aTm/TX... Or Pitt/WVU...

Any who. Doesn't matter. Can't see those find of changes coming.

Reactions: onevol74 and Behr
I didn't like it when we dropped Auburn cause of the divisions.

With a 12 game schedule now, you can get more matchups we couldn't before.

I'm a traditionalist at heart, but we can rotate fast enough that I don't think I'd mind dropping anyone from the schedule..

None of the changes would result in permanent changes, like aTm/TX... Or Pitt/WVU...

Any who. Doesn't matter. Can't see those find of changes coming.

Vol Fans talking crap about us all the time, making us seem worse than we are when there is no need, showing Florida and their trolls love here on VN, talking about "Vanderbilt owns Us" and now some want to get rid if playing Alabama every year because they so big and bad and mean and they woops up on too bad. Ffs. I'm triggered.

Lol.

Last edited:
Because it's March and we need something to talk about.

I'd say Dooley has a pretty solid insight though given his resumé.
To bad on his resume it says Derek Dooley is his son... I kid, sort of.

Dropping Bama would be just fine by me.
You don’t drop your biggest rival. They’ve been on a historic run, but cracks are forming in their foundation, their dynasty will fall just like every other, and I want to watch Tennessee beat them when the tables turn. Remember the 90s? College football is very cyclical, and we are about to cycle up again. **** bama, you have to face the bully and beat him, or you will always be the geek that goes running scared.

I love the traditional cross division permanent games, and Bama for sure is traditionally important. That being said, if you're looking for fairness across the board, a four year, 9 game conference game rotation is one of best solutions I've heard. At the end of the day, Bama's historical run has also throttled any momentum we ever developed, where we're falling on the sword in the name of tradition. The only evenly contested high end SEC matchup, of say the top 8 is UF/LSU, over the past 10 years.
Sec football is much like life, in the fact that it is not fair. The sooner you realize these things the easier it is to deal with the reality that is currently presenting itself to you.

Sec football is much like life, in the fact that it is not fair. The sooner you realize these things the easier it is to deal with the reality that is currently presenting itself to you.
oh Nice. College football AND life lessons all in one place.

VN Store

Back