Video clip of Commit Ryan Spikes at MLB draft combine. Moving up the draft board

If Spikes was taken 197 his slot value is 237k. If he moved up 50 spots it’d be $367k.

He should be on campus
Haslam can pay him at least that much, to plaster his face all over Pilot billboards!
Seriously, we could lose both of our SS prospects to the draft? 🤬
GBO!!

$367,000 is not chump change.

I used to be a seasonal worker and just made minimum wage.

I by no means want to imply it's a small sum of cash, but if you factor in taxes (which are likely 40-45% depending on state and local taxes), you're looking at closer to $200,000 after all is said and done. That's a nice sum, but it's not life-changing money, and you will be dirt poor in the minors slumming it for a few years. That cash will dry up quickly.

I by no means want to imply it's a small sum of cash, but if you factor in taxes (which are likely 40-45% depending on state and local taxes), you're looking at closer to $200,000 after all is said and done. That's a nice sum, but it's not life-changing money, and you will be dirt poor in the minors slumming it for a few years. That cash will dry up quickly.

FAST

I mean, I don’t know you make, but…..

Listen, I'll state it again (even though I said it 5 posts above this one), but I'm not saying $367,000 is pocket change. But, if you're a highly regarded talent who could potentially improve your draft stock after 1-2 years, netting $200,000ish dollars after taxes isn't life-changing money. If you're an out of state student, a 4-year degree from TN alone could cost you $100,000 or so. You can easily argue getting an education, living a solid, comfortable life in college, and improving your stock is a far more attractive option.

Trust me, I had friends from high school who were minor leaguers/major leaguers, and the life of a minor league ball-player ain't no freakin' picnic, let me tell you.....

Listen, I'll state it again (even though I said it 5 posts above this one), but I'm not saying $367,000 is pocket change. But, if you're a highly regarded talent who could potentially improve your draft stock after 1-2 years, netting $200,000ish dollars after taxes isn't life-changing money. If you're an out of state student, a 4-year degree from TN alone could cost you $100,000 or so. You can easily argue getting an education, living a solid, comfortable life in college, and improving your stock is a far more attractive option.

Trust me, I had friends from high school who were minor leaguers/major leaguers, and the life of a minor league ball-player ain't no freakin' picnic, let me tell you.....

I think if you look no farther than Leiter and Kopps, along with Rocker… because Kopps didn’t have this kind of season last year, and he’s now a senior, and he’s not a starter… he has to go, but somebody is gonna get a great arm for next to nothing.

It’s BS, but it is what it is.

I think if you look no farther than Leiter and Kopps, along with Rocker… because Kopps didn’t have this kind of season last year, and he’s now a senior, and he’s not a starter… he has to go, but somebody is gonna get a great arm for next to nothing.

It’s BS, but it is what it is.

It’s called business

If you have options, you’re worth more. If you don’t, you’re not. It’s a cold business after college. Ask RJ Dickey.

no you make not much at all monthly and food allowance does not get you far plus live with 4 to 6 guys unless you stay with an assigned family.

Reactions: wmcovol
Imagine an employer paying a recent college grad 90% of their next 5 yrs pay up front but owning that employee for those 5 yrs. No one would think he’s immediately rich. But we do a HS player signing a MLB contract for $500,000.

It take about 4-5 yrs for the typical HS player to make the majors. And that’s the ones that do. Most never do. Majority of their income during that time is their signing bonus. It’s a tough climb and non-glamorous lifestyle in minor league baseball. Most high school kids who sign miss out on college completely even thou MLB contracts agree to pay for college after they’re done. Most can’t afford to go to school after 6-7 yrs in minors.

Yeah, sorry, didn’t see the responses til after I posted, and I get what you’re saying. However, everyone’s situation is different. When I was that age, I signed a 6 year contract for a whopping $22k a year and free college when I finished my service (sentence lol). I would have taken the guaranteed money in a heartbeat over risking injury or something.

You are spot on…no further explanation is needed. It’s a good amount of money, but likely would be long gone by the age of 22.

VN Store

Back